Round 3, Pick 67: QB Davis Mills

Texansfan713

Next year we should have a solid o-line if we can get everyone back healthy. 

cooks, Collins, and Conley back at WR and add someone, perhaps even a 1st rounder 

add a good RB through FA or top 3 round draft pick. 

with the emergence of Mills as likely the guy next year, I’ve changed my mind from going all defense in the draft to going mostly offense. Next year needs to be a big one for Mills if we are gonna declare him the answer and giving him weapons is a must. 

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Would you be satisfied for the short term if Mills turns into Kirk Cousins?

It's sort of what I'm ultimately expecting for him if EVERYTHING goes according to plan - he gets the targets he needs, the RB he needs, the defense he needs, etc.

It's not bad or good - it just is what it is.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's sort of what I'm ultimately expecting for him if EVERYTHING goes according to plan - he gets the targets he needs, the RB he needs, the defense he needs, etc.

It's not bad or good - it just is what it is.

Matt Schaub 2.0 perhaps? 

2 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Matt Schaub 2.0 perhaps? 

I'll give him more credit than that. For all of his flaws, Cousins is a REALLY good QB. He has a good pedigree, made some big plays on big stages and rallied a Vikings team that might have reached the ceiling on what Mike Zimmer brings to the table.

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'll give him more credit than that. For all of his flaws, Cousins is a REALLY good QB. He has a good pedigree, made some big plays on big stages and rallied a Vikings team that might have reached the ceiling on what Mike Zimmer brings to the table.

Sorry, should've clarified. Kirk Cousins would be the best case scenario for Davis Mills IMO. Matt Schaub would be a step below, but still a reasonable success. Below that would be Jacoby Brissett, a viable starter but much better as a backup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

Sorry, should've clarified. Kirk Cousins would be the best case scenario for Davis Mills IMO. Matt Schaub would be a step below, but still a reasonable success. Below that would be Jacoby Brissett, a viable starter but much better as a backup. 

I think this is a very fair and reasonable measuring stick (I'd go TJ Yates instead of Jacoby Brissett, simply because of the Texans ties...)

• Like 1

So... you guys need to remind me not to read the comments section on Facebook. Seriously, I can't go there again or I risk bursting a blood vessel in my eye/forehead.

***I'm not talking about anyone here, mind you - I just need to vent a bit***

I get it that Texans fans are starved for a light in this darkness, but let's hold off on the anointing oil for Davis Mills. Comparing him to Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner and - yes, I've read this - Tom Brady is the epitome of setting yourself up for heartbreak. There are people thinking Mills is going to win multiple SBs and is already better than Deshaun Watson. No joke, no lie - a QB who lost his first seven starts and once threw 6 consecutive INTs in 7 on 7s in no pads in Training Camp is now a better QB than the 2nd highest paid player in NFL history. So... I guess the transitive property is that if he's better than Watson, he's clearly on the Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers level, right?

The fawning over Mills right now is a stark reminder that there are Texans homers that deserve Jack Easterby and Cal McNair running this franchise. I mean, it's a match made in heaven between Cal/Easterby and a vocal section of this fanbase.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

So... you guys need to remind me not to read the comments section on Facebook. Seriously, I can't go there again or I risk bursting a blood vessel in my eye/forehead.

I get it that Texans fans are starved for a light in this darkness, but let's hold off on the anointing oil for Davis Mills. Comparing him to Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner and - yes, I've read this - Tom Brady is the epitome of setting yourself up for heartbreak. There are people thinking Mills is going to win multiple SBs and is already better than Deshaun Watson. No joke, no lie - a QB who lost his first seven starts and once threw 6 consecutive INTs in 7 on 7s in no pads in Training Camp is now a better QB than the 2nd highest paid player in NFL history. So... I guess the transitive property is that if he's better than Watson, he's clearly on the Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers level, right?

The fawning over Mills right now is a stark reminder that there are Texans homers that deserve Jack Easterby and Cal McNair running this franchise. I mean, it's a match made in heaven between Cal/Easterby and a vocal section of this fanbase.

Twitter is the same too, I don’t know how it escalated so quickly. He played a great game against a bad defense missing two star players, but it’s just one game! He’s shown a lot of improvement from where he was in preseason, so I’m a lot more optimistic now about his future, but still the sample size is so small.

I just hope he can finish the year out with a couple of good games and build on the momentum in the offseason, but a lot of people seem to be getting ahead of themselves thinking he has proven himself to be the answer at QB for the next 10 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

There's definitely a reason I like posting on here and not too many other places. Reddit, Facebook, ESPN, etc has way too many casual fans who's opinions fluctuate wildly from week to week. It's like casual fans have been brain-washed into having hot takes so they can look back in 5 years and say they called it while ignoring all the other terrible calls. Mills has played 11 games this season after starting 13 games in Stanford so he's still incredibly inexperienced. We truly won't know what we have until he plays more next season, which he's earned the benefit of the doubt with his most recent play. The goal wasn't to figure out if he's the future franchise QB, it was to figure out if he should be a shot to start next season. The toughest things with QBs in year 2 is teams now have film on you so they know tendencies so next year will be tougher and we'll get to see how he does. He either shows us he's the guy or he's not and we're in a position to draft a QB next year when the QB class should be tons better (CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, DJ Uiagalelei). 

• Like 2

just farting around on youtube and looking for stuff about Mills. He's a lot more interesting to me, I think after this past week. I'm not getting my hopes up but I think this could be the start of me saying 'my expectations for this guy might have been too low'