Round 3, Pick 67: QB Davis Mills

Texansfan713

Washington Football: McShay says WFT likes Davis Mills in 2nd round

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/davis-mills/32004d49-4c67-8397-4c7b-81c6636ba80e

Overview

There isn't going to be an excessive amount of tape on Mills, but teams will see a player with below-average mobility, good size and plenty of arm talent for passing attacks looking to open up the entire field. Mills is still in the developmental stage as it pertains to his ability to command the offense and play chess against coverages and blitz looks. He's made for a play-action attack that can promote his timing as a passer and help keep him protected. The injury background and lack of experience are potential stumbling blocks, but the talent is better than the production and worthy of a middle-round pick for development as a good backup to low-end starter.

3 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

With Ossai sitting there, I do.... really hope Davis turns out special.... but not impressed with Casserole's draft selection(s) so far

rather us take a qb early next year when we are picking top 5 than wasting a 3rd on one this year when there are several needs.

it is what it is at this point.

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He’s a fantastic talent.

He just has a injury history. Honestly, given where you guys are at, he’s a great pick.

I hope so... i think we could have filled a more important need here (edge, CB, IOL) and got Newman later in draft (who I think can do the same things as Mills)... just my $.02

Edited by jch1911

1 minute ago, jch1911 said:

I hope so... i think we could have filled a more important need here (edge, CB, IOL) and got Newman later in draft (who I think can do the same things as Mills)... just my $.02

Worst case is that he’s a punching bag bridge QB

Between Mond, Trask, and Mills, I like Mills the best. Former 5 star recruit who played in a pro offense, but doesn't have a ton of experience due to injury so he's got the most upside. I read that he would've been a first rounder next year if he would've gone back to school, so he at least has the most potential in my eyes. However, day 2 QBs are a graveyard. Below are the QBs the past 10 years drafted day 2. It's really Carr, Wilson, and Dalton. Jimmy G and Foles were decent, but there's nobody you can really point to, especially in round 3.  

2020: Jalen Hurts

2019: Drew Lock, Will Grier

2018: Mason Rudolph

2017: Deshone Kizer, Davis Webb, CJ Beathard

2016: Christian Hackenburg, Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler

2015: Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion

2014: Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo

2013: Geno Smith, Mike Glennon

2012: Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

2011: Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

rather us take a qb early next year when we are picking top 5 than wasting a 3rd on one this year when there are several needs.

it is what it is at this point.

That’s why I hate this pick. Texans are just going to draft another QB next year. It’d be one thing if the Texans had a couple of picks before this, but to spend the first pick of the draft on Davis with so many other needs is just foolish and short sighted. 

• Like 4

Just now, Marco79 said:

That’s why I hate this pick. Texans are just going to draft another QB next year. It’d be one thing if the Texans had a couple of picks before this, but to spend the first pick of the draft on Davis with so many other needs is just foolish and short sighted. 

Heck it makes trading a draft pick for Ryan Finley pointless too.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Between Mond, Trask, and Mills, I like Mills the best. Former 5 star recruit who played in a pro offense, but doesn't have a ton of experience due to injury so he's got the most upside. I read that he would've been a first rounder next year if he would've gone back to school, so he at least has the most potential in my eyes. However, day 2 QBs are a graveyard. Below are the QBs the past 10 years drafted day 2. It's really Carr, Wilson, and Dalton. Jimmy G and Foles were decent, but there's nobody you can really point to, especially in round 3.  

2020: Jalen Hurts

2019: Drew Lock, Will Grier

2018: Mason Rudolph

2017: Deshone Kizer, Davis Webb, CJ Beathard

2016: Christian Hackenburg, Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler

2015: Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion

2014: Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo

2013: Geno Smith, Mike Glennon

2012: Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles

2011: Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett

Guys with Davis as a first name are generally third round guys. No offense to any Davises reading this, but it's true.