Round 3, Pick 67: QB Davis Mills

Texansfan713

So I waited to post to cool off. Didn't help. I hate this so much. What does this achieve? Even if Watson is basically done we are better off sucking and taking a franchise guy next year, not taking a guy in 3rd just because

• Like 3

The more I read on Mills - immobile, poor footwork, good arm, makes all the throws - I realized he's basically Tom Savage all over again. 

So, we're literally back to square one. This is fantastic.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

The more I read on Mills - immobile, poor footwork, good arm, makes all the throws - I realized he's basically Tom Savage all over again. 

The plan is to tank. He’s a perfect fit. 

On 4/30/2021 at 10:53 PM, ET80 said:

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this pick. 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, ET80 said:

22 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The plan is to tank. He’s a perfect fit. 

I agree on all of this. Mills doesn't solve any problem. This season is going to be rough, and you solve your problems next offseason.

Right now you would be better off grabbing a defensive player or an o-lineman for example, which puts your QB in better position next year once you CAN solve your QB problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I agree on all of this. Mills doesn't solve any problem. This season is going to be rough, and you solve your problems next offseason.

Right now you would be better off grabbing a defensive player or an o-lineman for example, which puts your QB in better position next year once you CAN solve your QB problem.

And I agree with this - but, I cannot shake the feeling that this particular FO thinks Mills is the future, and will pass on a QB in favor of Mills.

The upside is that DJ Uiagalelei should be draft eligible by the time Mills is exposed as a non-starter...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And I agree with this - but, I cannot shake the feeling that this particular FO thinks Mills is the future, and will pass on a QB in favor of Mills.

The upside is that DJ Uiagalelei should be draft eligible by the time Mills is exposed as a non-starter...

I do think Mills had he went back to Stanford this coming year could have been a fringe 1st rounder. Especially with the lack thereof of QB talent in the 2022 Draft. I'm not at all a fan of Sam Howell from UNC. So we take a gamble on a kid whos been injured and has some upside and start building the team next year and take a QB in 2023. This is a dreadfully talent devoid team and it's going to take a couple of years to build back up to respectable. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I do think Mills had he went back to Stanford this coming year could have been a fringe 1st rounder. Especially with the lack thereof of QB talent in the 2022 Draft.

Conversely, he could have tanked his value outside of the 3rd round he found himself in. There are so many QBs who are hyped up, only to drop after an extra season (Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, Jevan Snead come to mind).

(Edit - wow, Jevan Snead committed suicide in 2019. Very sad).

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Conversely, he could have tanked his value outside of the 3rd round he found himself in. There are so many QBs who are hyped up, only to drop after an extra season (Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, Jevan Snead come to mind).

(Edit - wow, Jevan Snead committed suicide in 2019. Very sad).

what????  had to look it up and found this story... ultra sad (looks like another victim of CTE)

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/jevan-sneads-suicide-story/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think some QB in the 2022 class will emerge so we will have options.  Nobody thought Zach Wilson would be a top 2 pick this time last year.  

Keep an eye out on Liberty QB Malik Willis.

https://247sports.com/Article/Malik-Willis-Liberty-football-Zach-Wilson-2021-NFL-Draft-164997685/

I really worry about the one year guys, guys you never heard about until it's draft stock season for em.

I mean, just off the top of my head... Blaine Gabbert, Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins. Those are disasters at QB.

(Yes, I think Zach Wilson is going to join that list - Joe Burrow might buck the trend though). 

I've read briefly on Malik Willis - drafting a QB from Liberty at 1.1 just scares me to no end.

To be fair, if he has another great year like he did last year I think he will get some buzz.  Liberty was pretty dang good this past season.  They beat 2 P5 schools (syracuse and virginia tech) and lost by 1 point at NC St.  Looking at their schedule they play at Ole Miss which is ironic because Hugh Freeze is Liberty's HC. 

Imagine just for a second...Stanford QB with amazing arm and upside starts a good amount of this year and shows that he can make all the throws and command the offense...and the Texans still lose almost all games due to lack of overall talent. Next draft Houston conducts a trade down several picks from their top-5 slot and a bunch of picks come Houston's way. The grass doesn't always have to be Casserleyer. It could be green.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Imagine just for a second...Stanford QB with amazing arm and upside starts a good amount of this year and shows that he can make all the throws and command the offense...and the Texans still lose almost all games due to lack of overall talent. Next draft Houston conducts a trade down several picks from their top-5 slot and a bunch of picks come Houston's way. The grass doesn't always have to be Casserleyer. It could be green.

This would lend to a belief that good things happen here.

They don't.