Day 3 discussion 2021 NFL Draft

Time for a quick poll.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do we make all 6 picks today?

• Yes
    • No, we trade up at least once
    • No, we trade out of 2021 at least once, banking picks for next year.
    • No, we trade up AND trade out

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

They drafted 90% defense and still have nothing at QB. They’re putting jobs on the line that they might get Rodgers.

Or Watson.....if he stays out of prison and gets released by the Texans.

That and the word is they really do want to give Lock a real shot after 2 years with 2 different offenses.

I would have taken Fields, but from everything I have read they don't want to cut ties with Lock before they really know what they have. I'm sure Rodgers/Watson have something to do with it as well.

They basically left the ends open with a loaded roster for a QB to step into

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Or Watson.....if he stays out of prison and gets released by the Texans.

That and the word is they really do want to give Lock a real shot after 2 years with 2 different offenses.

I would have taken Fields, but from everything I have read they don't want to cut ties with Lock before they really know what they have. I'm sure Rodgers/Watson have something to do with it as well.

They basically left the ends open with a loaded roster for a QB to step into

If Watson pays his way out and gets less than a season of punishment, he's still getting traded for at least two firsts.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If Watson pays his way out and gets less than a season of punishment, he's still getting traded for at least two firsts.

Which the Broncos would easily pay.

I also think if that happens this year, the asking price would be whatever the Texans get offered. Not the other way around. The texans have no leverage.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Which the Broncos would easily pay.

I also think if that happens this year, the asking price would be whatever the Texans get offered. Not the other way around. The texans have no leverage.

I think you're wrong about the compensation, but we'll see. If Watson gets out with his name mostly unscathed--"gold digging schemers got their money, with the help of that dirty lawyer" narrative picked up and ran with--then I think Houston gets a big offer. If he's basically branded as a sex offender/"me too" poster boy, then yeah, I could see the compensation being lower than his value.

6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I think you're wrong about the compensation, but we'll see. If Watson gets out with his name mostly unscathed--"gold digging schemers got their money, with the help of that dirty lawyer" narrative picked up and ran with--then I think Houston gets a big offer. If he's basically branded as a sex offender/"me too" poster boy, then yeah, I could see the compensation being lower than his value.

I think it will be a Kareem Hunt situation. I mean at this point how many teams are even if the market for him? A lot of those suitors just drafted a QB in the 1st round. The market is very thin.

The only team that is in desperate need of a QB is DEN. Maybe PIT and CAR could offer something too.

He could get let go for  a decent haul but even if he's cleared the asking price would probably be a lot lower than expected. I think the texans would just want to rid themselves of the situation.l and wouldn't put up much of a fight to get him off the roster.

Edited by AkronsWitness

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think it will be a Kareem Hunt situation. I mean at this point how many teams are even if the market for him? A lot of those suitors just drafted a QB in the 1st round. The market is very thin.

The only team that is in desperate need of a QB is DEN. Maybe PIT and CAR could offer something too.

He could get let go for  a decent haul but even if he's cleared the asking price would probably be a lot lower than expected. I think the texans would just want to rid themselves of the situation.l and wouldn't put up much of a fight to get him off the roster.

Denver, New Orleans, Carolina, Philadelphia(?), Washington, Pittsburgh is who I would think could be interested.

Here’s what’s going to happen going forward:

1. Baker and Denzel get paid.

2. OBJ and Jarvis are both let go (trade most likely).

3. Do we pay Nick or Wyatt?

I’m biased, but I think Clowney balls out and has a career year. Then we extend him.

To be honest ward gets extended for his current salary

Mayfield gets a 15 million dollar increase

Chubb gets a 7 million dollar increase

Obj and landry walk in2 years saving 30

Million 

Pay Teller

Let Harrington walk

Now what other players you want to sign

Remember I get to carryover almost 12 million a year for 2 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

We are a moneyball team.   $12 million extra for THE ABILITY to average 6 to 7 more yards a game, and then completely negate that extra production by losing Teller AND putting your franchise QB that will probably get $50 million in jeopardy.

I’ve been saying it for awhile.

Well what is missing is the Chubb factor. You can't count him as an average running back who gets replaced by the average replacement.

Chubb had his worst year in yards after contact and was still top 5. He had his best year in yards before contact which put him in the top 7. You can assume an average replacement would get 7 less yards per game than Chubb but Hunt, who isn't the average replacement would average more than 20 less yards per game or 1.4 yards per attempt. So on average 2 Chubb runs equals 10.4 yards for his career (or 11.2 last year). Hunt, who is much better than average still put you in 3rd down in his career ans 3rd and 2 going by last year.

Chubb isn't the normal #1 RB. He won't be paid like a middle of the pack #1 RB. We should still pay him because he is special. The average 3rd round pick will likely get 25 or less yards per game which doesn't sound like much but in a game of inches, especially as far as running the ball that is huge. Chubb put away a lot of games. That isn't normal. Most RBs give way to the punter in those situations and the defense has to finish. Chubb put away a lot of games himself and you aren't getting that with just any top 10 RB, he would have to be special and our guy is special.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well what is missing is the Chubb factor. You can't count him as an average running back who gets replaced by the average replacement.

Chubb had his worst year in yards after contact and was still top 5. He had his best year in yards before contact which put him in the top 7. You can assume an average replacement would get 7 less yards per game than Chubb but Hunt, who isn't the average replacement would average more than 20 less yards per game or 1.4 yards per attempt. So on average 2 Chubb runs equals 10.4 yards for his career (or 11.2 last year). Hunt, who is much better than average still put you in 3rd down in his career ans 3rd and 2 going by last year.

Chubb isn't the normal #1 RB. He won't be paid like a middle of the pack #1 RB. We should still pay him because he is special. The average 3rd round pick will likely get 25 or less yards per game which doesn't sound like much but in a game of inches, especially as far as running the ball that is huge. Chubb put away a lot of games. That isn't normal. Most RBs give way to the punter in those situations and the defense has to finish. Chubb put away a lot of games himself and you aren't getting that with just any top 10 RB, he would have to be special and our guy is special.

I think where we ultimately disagree is this:

Who was the last super bowl winner to have a top 10ish RB? Seattle back in 2013?

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think where we ultimately disagree is this:

Who was the last super bowl winner to have a top 10ish RB? Seattle back in 2013?

I think where we disagree is you believe past = future and I believe the future is wide open.

How many SB teams lost with Nick Chubb as their RB? Zero. If the Falcons had Nick Chubb do you think they blow that lead to the Patriots? I don't.