2021 NFL Draft: Day Three Thread (NEED MOAR GIFS!!!)

So far, I think this has been a decent draft and we’ll get some contribution from most of these guys right away. I think Cosmi starts right away at LT and Davis will start as well.

With that said, I still feel like I’ve fallen and bumped my head or entered the twilight zone. I’ve now watched JP Finlay, Kevin Sheehan, John Keim, people on this board and on Hogs Haven try to convince me that the QB approach they’re taking is the correct one. Al Gauldy has consistently said on his podcast that Fitzpatricks last two years have basically been fringe top 10 QB play. I mean, what in the hell is going on here? It’s freaking Ryan Fitzpatrick we’re talking about. Not only is he not a good QB but he’s 39-years old. Good QBs don’t go on to play for 10 different teams. What’s the old saying “don’t piss on my head and tell me it’s raining” is how I feel when people talk about Fitz like he makes us some kind of contender. The idea surrounding it is simply absurd. And the back ups, one has basically had more starts than most undrafted free agents ever really get and has basically shown you what he is and the other one, who should be the starter, was thought of so highly that he was a back up for an XFL team. 

I mean, look, you can only play this game if ignoring the QB position for so long before you end up no longer being viewed as rebuilding. Rivera basically is being treated like he’s Gibbs nephew or something by this fanbase. He’s a good coach and he did very well with his front office moves in his first year but at some point you have to get your long-term answer are QB. Our defense is on the cusp of getting very expensive and the window won’t be open for very long without a QB. Rivera is treating this situation like he has an infinite time frame to build this perfect roster where he can carefully place the QB he eventually hand picks but he better wake up. If he continues to neglect the most important position on the field, he’ll be former headcoach Ron Rivera in a couple of years. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So far, I think this has been a decent draft and we’ll get some contribution from most of these guys right away. I think Cosmi starts right away at LT and Davis will start as well.

With that said, I still feel like I’ve fallen and bumped my head or entered the twilight zone. I’ve now watched JP Finlay, Kevin Sheehan, John Keim, people on this board and on Hogs Haven try to convince me that the QB approach they’re taking is the correct one. Al Gauldy has consistently said on his podcast that Fitzpatricks last two years have basically been fringe top 10 QB play. I mean, what in the hell is going on here? It’s freaking Ryan Fitzpatrick we’re talking about. Not only is he not a good QB but he’s 39-years old. Good QBs don’t go on to play for 10 different teams. What’s the old saying “don’t piss on my head and tell me it’s raining” is how I feel when people talk about Fitz like he makes us some kind of contender. The idea surrounding it is simply absurd. And the back ups, one has basically had more starts than most undrafted free agents ever really get and has basically shown you what he is and the other one, who should be the starter, was thought of so highly that he was a back up for an XFL team. 

I mean, look, you can only play this game if ignoring the QB position for so long before you end up no longer being viewed as rebuilding. Rivera basically is being treated like he’s Gibbs nephew or something by this fanbase. He’s a good coach and he did very well with his front office moves in his first year but at some point you have to get your long-term answer are QB. Our defense is on the cusp of getting very expensive and the window won’t be open for very long without a QB. Rivera is treating this situation like he has an infinite time frame to build this perfect roster where he can carefully place the QB he eventually hand picks but he better wake up. If he continues to neglect the most important position on the field, he’ll be former headcoach Ron Rivera in a couple of years. 

It is a bummer. They do clearly value what they have and it kinda sucks. But as we’ve seen there could be a Rogers Watson or Wilson moving. And that isn’t ideal for me because I want our own franchise selection. It’s just something we don’t do. But who knows. It was def harder because this class had potential. But we are where we are now so hopefully we can strike gold today somewhere and we will see where we are

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It is a bummer. They do clearly value what they have and it kinda sucks. But as we’ve seen there could be a Rogers Watson or Wilson moving. And that isn’t ideal for me because I want our own franchise selection. It’s just something we don’t do. But who knows. It was def harder because this class had potential. But we are where we are now so hopefully we can strike gold today somewhere and we will see where we are

But that’s the rub. Watson is basically untouchable at the moment and would cost almost everything we’ve been building to acquire. Rodgers is the best QB in the league and he’s 38-years old. Would almost undoubtedly require Chase Young be involved in the trade and Seattle isn’t moving Wilson. Not to mention, the moment we make those trades we have to give them, with the exception of Watson, a massive extension. I don’t want to do this year to year and that’s the current plan. We’re going to end up being those Texans/Vikings teams that had ridiculous defenses and a fair amount of offensive talent but kept being silly about the QB position. I’m just not a fan of this approach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Trade the rest of our picks in the draft to the Jags to move up and take Jabril Cox with the #1 pick, #106 in round 4! 

Done & Done!

Excited Pumped Up GIF by Lil Jon

Cox may not get drafted. To ME he is like JOK. Not a three down lb. But whatever is going on he is dropping for a reason.

7 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Cox may not get drafted. To ME he is like JOK. Not a three down lb. But whatever is going on he is dropping for a reason.

I don’t agree Cox is 232 pounds (2 pounds lighter than Jamin Davis), he’s not 220. I’ll also say it again, this isn’t 20 years ago. It’s a new NFL. A lot of teams start w/ 3 WRs - or play that way 60-70% of the game. Then, most teams also will flex out their TE to the slot so it looks like 4 wide WRs most of the game.

We have played in the nickel 60% or more on our D since 2010.

A LB like Cox is a WLB in the base 4-3 or base 3-4 & then he’s a nickel back for passing downs. This type of Lb is more of a 3 down LB in today’s NFL than the old 245-260 pound MLBs & SLBs of 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But that’s the rub. Watson is basically untouchable at the moment and would cost almost everything we’ve been building to acquire. Rodgers is the best QB in the league and he’s 38-years old. Would almost undoubtedly require Chase Young be involved in the trade and Seattle isn’t moving Wilson. Not to mention, the moment we make those trades we have to give them, with the exception of Watson, a massive extension. I don’t want to do this year to year and that’s the current plan. We’re going to end up being those Texans/Vikings teams that had ridiculous defenses and a fair amount of offensive talent but kept being silly about the QB position. I’m just not a fan of this approach. 

And I get that I wouldn’t want to trade players outside of guys your not planning to resign. But who knows what they are doing. I just know it’s on to next years class for me. All I do is scout and it sucks there were guys in this class and they imo got cute. But we will see where we are. I think this is a good class. Today could make me in love with this haul but it does hurt watching  3 almost near perfect skill sets go elsewhere and 5 guys that would work we don’t even get close. But we have no idea how this season pans out. So hopefully they know more then us