4. 125 - Camryn Bynum, S, California

SemperFeist

Player Bio

Bynum has led the Bears in passes defensed in each of the last three seasons. He redshirted his first year in Berkeley and then started all 12 games in 2017, garnering Cal's Most Valuable Freshman Award for his efforts (58 tackles, two interceptions, eight pass breakups). Bynum earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors as a sophomore (48 tackles, 2.5 for loss, two interceptions, 10 pass breakups). League coaches voted him second-team all-conference in 2019, as the team captain posted 63 tackles, three for loss, one interception and nine pass breakups in 13 starts. He initially opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19, but returned when the Pac-12 season began in the fall instead of the spring. League coaches voted the senior, who was once again a team captain in 2020, first-team all-conference for his play (19 tackles, two for loss, one interception, two pass breakups) in the team's four contests. He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

By Lance Zierlein

Overview

Scouts rave about the personal character of Bynum, but concerns over his athletic ability and speed are very real. Despite his time as a press corner, his poor recovery speed and inability to match NFL receivers in man coverage will likely pigeonhole him into a zone-heavy scheme or force him to flip to safety.

6 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Instead of taking a CB and moving him to safety. Why didnt they just take a safety?? I dont get it. Jamar Johnson & Hamsah were both available.

Because Bynum has better coverage skills than both of them, sure Jamar had a great season but Bynum is crazy smart and studies football extremely well.  He could do great with the transition to safety and if not could be a very smart and tough corner.  I have liked him for awhile, thought he would be picked in this range but really he has been underrated his entire career.  He knows how to react to the football in the air and is a great pickup, how he prepares probably put him over the top for the Vikings though.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Because Bynum has better coverage skills than both of them, sure Jamar had a great season but Bynum is crazy smart and studies football extremely well.  He could do great with the transition to safety and if not could be a very smart and tough corner.  I have liked him for awhile, thought he would be picked in this range but really he has been underrated his entire career.  He knows how to react to the football in the air and is a great pickup, how he prepares probably put him over the top for the Vikings though.  

nice analysis.

I'm not sure exactly how they'll use him, and a lot depends on his ability to make the switch to safety both in terms of understanding the position (which it sounds like he's a very intelligent student of the game) and gaining adequate size for the position.

What really excites me is his ability to play a deep coverage safety and drop down into the slot on blitzes and 3rd downs in pass coverage. I think he might allow Harrison Smith to elongate his career by playing closer to the line of scrimmage and used more in the blitz game, which would help cover his likely declining speed in the next several years. I imagine Smith taking much more of a Polamalu role if Bynum can develop into a reliable deep coverage safety.

This late you never know anyway, but I see some potential for a sneaky smart deep safety that can help cover in this pass heavy NFL where offenses are always trying to exploit LB's and Safeties in coverage.

Edited by Ares Caesar
  • Like 1