NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Some people are calling AB an out-and-out psychopath. I'm not big on diagnosing people I've never met with no degree, but if true, his disorder has been enabled and abetted by the professional culture he thrives in. Like it or not, this is a world where analysts praise you as a genius for being able to catch a ball, the sports media is just waiting to crown its next idol (and pull it down later), and winning lets you get away with almost anything. See Ray Lewis.

There are exceptions, such as Rae Carruth who should be in jail for the rest of his life and longer, if possible.

The Steelers were determined not to trade receiver Antonio Brown to the Patriots or to any other team in the AFC North. And now, of course, Antonio Brown plays for the Patriots. Both Adam Schefter of ESPN and Mike Giardi of NFL Network report that the Patriots did indeed try to trade for Brown in March, but the Steelers resisted their overtures. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Patriots actually offered a first-round pick for Brown.

While the only good news is that the Steelers won’t have to face Brown tonight in New England, the Patriots get a major boost. And they get Brown without giving up trade compensation, without paying Brown $30 million in guaranteed money, and with a potential compensatory draft pick in 2021, if Brown leaves in free agency after this season.

That guaranteed money Brown has lost in Oakland becomes the strongest argument against the notion that the trade to Oakland and inevitable release by the Raiders was part of a broader plan to get Brown to New England. Brown will get a $9 million signing bonus, a base salary close to the minimum for his level of service, and incentives worth another $5 million or so. That’s a far cry from $30 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/suspicions-grow-that-antonio-brown-to-the-patriots-didnt-happen-out-of-the-blue-on-saturday/

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Steelers were determined not to trade receiver Antonio Brown to the Patriots or to any other team in the AFC North. And now, of course, Antonio Brown plays for the Patriots. Both Adam Schefter of ESPN and Mike Giardi of NFL Network report that the Patriots did indeed try to trade for Brown in March, but the Steelers resisted their overtures. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Patriots actually offered a first-round pick for Brown.

While the only good news is that the Steelers won’t have to face Brown tonight in New England, the Patriots get a major boost. And they get Brown without giving up trade compensation, without paying Brown $30 million in guaranteed money, and with a potential compensatory draft pick in 2021, if Brown leaves in free agency after this season.

That guaranteed money Brown has lost in Oakland becomes the strongest argument against the notion that the trade to Oakland and inevitable release by the Raiders was part of a broader plan to get Brown to New England. Brown will get a $9 million signing bonus, a base salary close to the minimum for his level of service, and incentives worth another $5 million or so. That’s a far cry from $30 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/suspicions-grow-that-antonio-brown-to-the-patriots-didnt-happen-out-of-the-blue-on-saturday/

I have to think the Patriots knew the Steelers wouldn't take their offer. Maybe they were just signaling their interest to Brown more than anything else, and offering a first-round pick was a calculated risk to make it seem legitimate. Eventually Brown manages to get himself thrown out of Oakland, and just a few hours later his agent is on the phone with New England. I don't suspect the Pats of tampering, to be clear; they didn't have to tamper with him. All they had to do was sit back and wait.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I have to think the Patriots knew the Steelers wouldn't take their offer. 

and here the Pats even offered a first round pick and would have had to pick up his guaranteed contract. but instead get him for no capital wasted and a reduced contract.

i love the Patriots.

• Like 3

Losing 59-10 at any level of football leaves a mark. In Miami, it’s sparking a mutiny.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, multiple Dolphins players contacted their agents after Sunday’s season-opening blowout loss and directed them to attempt to engineer trades elsewhere. The players believe that the coaching staff, despite claiming that they intend to try to win, aren’t serious about competing and winning and by all appearances have bought into the notion that the Dolphins will take their lumps now in the hopes of laying the foundation via high draft picks for building a successful team later.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/early-mutiny-in-miami/

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Losing 59-10 at any level of football leaves a mark. In Miami, it’s sparking a mutiny.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, multiple Dolphins players contacted their agents after Sunday’s season-opening blowout loss and directed them to attempt to engineer trades elsewhere. The players believe that the coaching staff, despite claiming that they intend to try to win, aren’t serious about competing and winning and by all appearances have bought into the notion that the Dolphins will take their lumps now in the hopes of laying the foundation via high draft picks for building a successful team later.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/early-mutiny-in-miami/

Anyone worth looting from the team that could help us now?

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's not good if the coaches bought into losing

To be fair, if they know their jobs are safe and management is leading the tanking, I get it.

They don’t have the talent, and are loaded up on draft capital. 

It’s not right, but we see tanking in the 2nd half of the mlb season and even the NBA and that’s a lottery draft for crying out loud 

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be fair, if they know their jobs are safe and management is leading the tanking, I get it.

They don’t have the talent, and are loaded up on draft capital. 

It’s not right, but we see tanking in the 2nd half of the mlb season and even the NBA and that’s a lottery draft for crying out loud 

I don't have much problem with the front office trading players and what not but they should still be going out there trying to win.

And if they go 0-16, how safe are their jobs really?

20 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't have much problem with the front office trading players and what not but they should still be going out there trying to win.

And if they go 0-16, how safe are their jobs really?

It’s not like they were blatantly trying to lose, they just don’t have any offensive talent left. 

Their offensive line is in shambles. Danny Isadora was in the running for starting LT and hasn’t even played that position. Their RT let up the most sack in the NFL last year. 

They just cut their highest sack leader on the defense (although he couldn’t make the Browns squad last year either), but they just don’t have any weapons.

0-16 usually doesn’t mean safe, but management and ownership knows they are playing with very little. 

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

It’s not like they were blatantly trying to lose, they just don’t have any offensive talent left. 

Their offensive line is in shambles. Danny Isadora was in the running for starting LT and hasn’t even played that position. Their RT let up the most sack in the NFL last year. 

They just cut their highest sack leader on the defense (although he couldn’t make the Browns squad last year either), but they just don’t have any weapons.

0-16 usually doesn’t mean safe, but management and ownership knows they are playing with very little. 

Are the players mistaken about the coaches not trying to win then? I can see that with the lack of talent it might look like they aren't trying

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are the players mistaken about the coaches not trying to win then? I can see that with the lack of talent it might look like they aren't trying

No, I just believe the players that are average want to be on a chance with a team that can win. 

The playing window for some of these guys is short, they are good enough to make other teams, get paid the same, and have a chance at winning.

i really don’t believe the coaching staff is “trying” to lose, but trying to make lemonade and you don’t have any lemons, it’s pretty difficult.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

No, I just believe the players that are average want to be on a chance with a team that can win. 

The playing window for some of these guys is short, they are good enough to make other teams, get paid the same, and have a chance at winning.

i really don’t believe the coaching staff is “trying” to lose, but trying to make lemonade and you don’t have any lemons, it’s pretty difficult.

I don't blame the players. They showed a willingness to trade players already