> 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <

Danger

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Was searching “Herbert” and “weapons” on Twitter to find tweets to prove to @Kiltman that Howell losing his weapons has been talked about and found this from Jordan Reid over at TDN. Probably explains what you saw and why he didn’t do as good as he could’ve not being in a scheme catered to his strengths. The poor weapons for Herbert is very valid too.

But, the second tweet is what I’m more interested in. You know which team runs a west coast type scheme? That’s right. Your Philadelphia Eagles.

Being mentioned by a person or a couple people along the way (on Twitter no less) and being part of the overall draft season narrative isn’t really the same thing.
There have been plenty of guys who have gotten the “Down year, but” treatment over the years and not been ghosted like Howell kinda has. Don’t think I’m off base agreeing with that. But I appreciate your need to be right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Being mentioned by a person or a couple people along the way (on Twitter no less) and being part of the overall draft season narrative isn’t really the same thing.
There have been plenty of guys who have gotten the “Down year, but” treatment over the years and not been ghosted like Howell kinda has. Don’t think I’m off base agreeing with that. But I appreciate your need to be right.

Trust me there are a bunch of draftniks on Twitter and with podcasts that have mentioned it over the summer and into this college season. But, I appreciate your need to be sassy, Kilt.

15 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Trust me there are a bunch of draftniks on Twitter and with podcasts that have mentioned it over the summer and into this college season. But, I appreciate your need to be sassy, Kilt.

Nah, timestamps and audio clips or didn't happen.
haha

Again, I'm sure the draft nerds talk about...the whole gist of the draft community is to build players up...have a take they are overhyped...then sometime later someone will be bold enough to say 'well actually' and bring that player back.
It is eternal, it is constant.

But as for the general discussion, the people who are driving narratives for larger audiences. Dummies at ESPN, bigger beat writers...Howell just kinda fell and hasn't been brought up a ton til recently it seems like.

Like take McLane, probably the biggest Eagles beat writer.
He doesn't even mention Howell, despite the very real chance he could be drafted by the Eagles in round 1.

Yeah McLane isn't a draft guy, but he feeds off the bigger draft picture like most reporters do.
None of those guys are watching tape, they barely are watching college football even.
These are the people that make up most of the draft narratives.
Our bubble here and the draft twitter/podcast world is smaller than we like to think.

The larger narratives are dumb but it's what we are talking about.

I'm sure Howell, the QBs and a lot of the draft stuff will pick up way more after Thanksgiving when it's way clearer which teams are already looking ahead.

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Nah, timestamps and audio clips or didn't happen.
haha

😂

Again, I'm sure the draft nerds talk about...the whole gist of the draft community is to build players up...have a take they are overhyped...then sometime later someone will be bold enough to say 'well actually' and bring that player back.
It is eternal, it is constant.

But as for the general discussion, the people who are driving narratives for larger audiences. Dummies at ESPN, bigger beat writers...Howell just kinda fell and hasn't been brought up a ton til recently it seems like.

See, but that’s the thing… I mainly only listen to the draft nerds on Twitter and with podcasts, cause I know how invested they are and how draft stuff is basically all they do. 

I stay away from ESPN and the other big outlets who don’t dig as deep and probably are the ones who don’t bring up context like you are describing with Howell.

Our bubble here and the draft twitter/podcast world is smaller than we like to think.

The larger narratives are dumb but it's what we are talking about.

That’s a very fair point. 👍🏻

I like my bubble though…

Bubble Boy Quarantine GIF by Cameo

Also, McLane is only really good for players blowing off his questions cause they don’t like him.

*turns on the Journey To The Draft podcast*

Fran Duffy: Who is the QB who excites you most from this class?

Matt Waldman: We’ll.. you know I hate to be a downer to begin the show, but…… none of them really excite me a ton.

lol… he did list Matt Corral as the one that he’s starting to warm up to though. But, man it’s disappointing hearing so many people whose football opinions I trust not say too much good about this class.

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

*turns on the Journey To The Draft podcast*

Fran Duffy: Who is the QB who excites you most from this class?

Matt Waldman: We’ll.. you know I hate to be a downer to begin the show, but…… none of them really excite me a ton.

lol… he did list Matt Corral as the one that he’s starting to warm up to though. But, man it’s disappointing hearing so many people whose football opinions I trust not say too much good about this class.

Whenever there's a strong class of whatever position, you can count on the Eagles to screw it. It happened with WR, RB, DL, QB and 2022 we will screw DB. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Remember the Pumphrey draft….Jesus. 

Took Mack Hollins one pick before the small back we should’ve selected which was Tarik Cohen, then proceeded to take Pumphrey later in that 4th round who I’m sure everyone, but the Eagles knew was too small and not athletic enough to make up for it lol. We also took Barnett in the first round of that draft which I hated at the time. Not that I thought Barnett was crap, but he was more of a day 2 selection than top 15. I kinda liked the gamble on Sidney Jones, but I think that pick taught me to be wary of guys coming off major injuries, especially at a position as demanding for athleticism as cornerback. We also got the great Nate Gerry in that draft…. Yeah that’s a class to forget.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Took Mack Hollins one pick before the small back we should’ve selected which was Tarik Cohen, then proceeded to take Pumphrey later in that 4th round who I’m sure everyone, but the Eagles knew was too small and not athletic enough to make up for it lol. We also took Barnett in the first round of that draft which I hated at the time. Not that I thought Barnett was crap, but he was more of a day 2 selection than top 15. I kinda liked the gamble on Sidney Jones, but I think that pick taught me to be wary of guys coming off major injuries, especially at a position as demanding for athleticism as cornerback. We also got the great Nate Gerry in that draft…. Yeah that’s a class to forget.

Cohen, Cook, Mixon, Kamara….so many. It was almost impossible to miss….and we did. 

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Cohen, Cook, Mixon, Kamara….so many. It was almost impossible to miss….and we did. 

They were planning to take Cook, he’ll report was they would’ve take McCaffrey if I’m he was there rd 1z

Im not gonna knock them for passing on Mixon given his off field coming out. Bengals took him earlier than people thought.

But a brutal draft looking back

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <