2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

9 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I consistently see people listing Allan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers as roster locks for this team (and now I'm assuming Sammy Watkins).   I've also read a lot of comments that this team wouldn't consider a primary slot because Cobb and Rodgers are already on the roster.   I get Lazard, Cobb, Watkins as roster locks, but why do people assume Rodgers is a lock?    Is it just because he was a 3rd round pick last year and the assumption is the team won't give up on him after a year?  Friendship with Cobb?   Something he showed on the field?  Purely financial?

I like Amari Rodgers and liked the idea of what Rodgers could be, but there is nothing he showed me on the field last year that puts him in a roster lock category... let alone possible contributor category.     And why should the Packers pass up on a talented receiver because last-year-on-the-team Cobb and possible roster cut Rodgers are manning that spot?   Hope Rodgers comes into the offseason greatly improved and shows out but suspect the team views that spot as something that can greatly be improved

Amari Rodgers said he's currently in the best shape of his life.  He looked slow last year, but we gotta let it play out.  I'd put him as the top candidate for the Packers most improved player in 2022.  We'll see.  

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not get silly here.

Had he swapped Pierce with David Bell from Purdue he'd be onto something. I'd be good with Bell in round 3. Reminds me of James Jones. 

Edited by Old Guy

44 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I consistently see people listing Allan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers as roster locks for this team (and now I'm assuming Sammy Watkins).   I've also read a lot of comments that this team wouldn't consider a primary slot because Cobb and Rodgers are already on the roster.   I get Lazard, Cobb, Watkins as roster locks, but why do people assume Rodgers is a lock?    Is it just because he was a 3rd round pick last year and the assumption is the team won't give up on him after a year?  Friendship with Cobb?   Something he showed on the field?  Purely financial?

I like Amari Rodgers and liked the idea of what Rodgers could be, but there is nothing he showed me on the field last year that puts him in a roster lock category... let alone possible contributor category.     And why should the Packers pass up on a talented receiver because last-year-on-the-team Cobb and possible roster cut Rodgers are manning that spot?   Hope Rodgers comes into the offseason greatly improved and shows out but suspect the team views that spot as something that can greatly be improved

Because it costs more to cut him then it does to roster him.  You save ~500k by releasing him, but when you factor in his replacement you actually end up spending more on a single player then you did by keeping him, so unless he gets squeezed out because of numbers he's going to be on the Packers' roster.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Khyri Thornton was the only 3rd round pick who didn't get at least 2 years under Gute and TT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

He will be if teams aren't sure he can run a full route tree or separate from press or create consistent separation in general.   I've been on enough draft day to see people clamoring for a player in rnd 2 and exasperated when the team doesn't take them in the 4-5th.    (I know, I've been that guy)

Equanimeous St Brown was a 4.4 guy standing 6'5" 214lbs who NFL.com had rated even higher than they do Alec Pierce.  ESB's Sophomore year of 58 961 9 with an NFL caliber QB DeShone Kizer was better than Alec Pierce's 52 884 8 as a Senior with NFL caliber Desmond Ridder so he was also productive for a top college program.  ESB was drafted in the 6th.

I'm not trying to bash Pierce, I'm just typing out loud that I think he might be a guy that might drop further than people expect.    If it happens could be the next guy to prove everyone wrong

Alec Pierce also got more productive the longer he was in college.  ESB got worse as a junior then he was as a sophomore.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I have no clue but expect he's not going to run very fast if he does run. Even with the "home cooking" with the timing. 

IF he runs in that lower 4.5, I'd be pleased.  If he runs faster then that, he's a top 10 lock.

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers is a lock unless he completely bombs. But he's a cerebral player and I very much doubt he completely bombs.

What did he show last season that makes you doubt he completely bombs?   What flashes or glimpses on the field in preseason or regular season?  I ask that in all seriousness.  I don't remember any -or remember any camp coverage reports about his successes but maybe someone else does?    We didn't trust him on the field and he was a disaster on special teams.   I'm normally a very optimistic guy and want very much for Rodgers to develop so if the Packers keep him I'm all for it, but Amari was a big disappointment to me last year and I just don't view him as some roster lock or someone that can't be perpetually upgraded.

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

What did he show last season that makes you doubt he completely bombs?   What flashes or glimpses on the field in preseason or regular season?  I ask that in all seriousness.  I don't remember any -or remember any camp coverage reports about his successes but maybe someone else does?    We didn't trust him on the field and he was a disaster on special teams.   I'm normally a very optimistic guy and want very much for Rodgers to develop so if the Packers keep him I'm all for it, but Amari was a big disappointment to me last year and I just don't view him as some roster lock or someone that can't be perpetually upgraded.

How many 3rd round picks light their rookie season on fire?  Most struggle.  Doesn't mean you cut them after their rookie year.

29 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Oh come on, we can't really be at the "cutting third round picks after their rookie year" part of the offseason already.

9 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

He will be if teams aren't sure he can run a full route tree or separate from press or create consistent separation in general.   I've been on enough draft day to see people clamoring for a player in rnd 2 and exasperated when the team doesn't take them in the 4-5th.    (I know, I've been that guy)

Equanimeous St Brown was a 4.4 guy standing 6'5" 214lbs who NFL.com had rated even higher than they do Alec Pierce.  ESB's Sophomore year of 58 961 9 with an NFL caliber QB DeShone Kizer was better than Alec Pierce's 52 884 8 as a Senior with NFL caliber Desmond Ridder so he was also productive for a top college program.  ESB was drafted in the 6th.

I'm not trying to bash Pierce, I'm just typing out loud that I think he might be a guy that might drop further than people expect.    If it happens could be the next guy to prove everyone wrong

This isn't really directed at you but I've seen some stuff that he doesn't separate. Idk. Dude is fast. I didn't watch 1094588 hours of take like Jaws. There's some contested throws but my quick take away was that if Ridder had put some of those where they should have been, he'd have had some walk in scores. But he had to come back for some of them and made plays most of the time. Maybe I'm nuts though. 

12 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Amari Rodgers said he's currently in the best shape of his life.  He looked slow last year, but we gotta let it play out.  I'd put him as the top candidate for the Packers most improved player in 2022.  We'll see.  

I agree. Lafleur earlier this year said he's looking forward to seeing what kind of shape Am Rodgers shows up in. They're clearly expecting a quicker, sleeker player. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
mispeled werd

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Alec Pierce also got more productive the longer he was in college.  ESB got worse as a junior then he was as a sophomore.

Desmond Ridder got more productive the longer he was in college.  ESB had a productive year with an NFL QB Deshone Kizer -- his Junior year he played with Brandon Wimbush.    How great would ESB's stats have been had he played another year with a developing Kizer?

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

What did he show last season that makes you doubt he completely bombs?

They're not gonna trash the guy after the "incomplete" rookie season he had. Even if Cobb hadnt been brought on and relegated him to backup....they'd probably be satisfied enough to see what he's got/gonna bring going forward. 

It's called draft and develop. Not draft and ditch.