2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

Just now, packfanfb said:

aka...London's results over the last few weeks in the 40 weren't what he was hoping for...

Correct, he's probably a high 4.5 guy. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if athletically he a Lazard clone (which is a pretty good athlete for the size). I just don't see what he adds to the offense that Laz can't bring us.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Am Rodgers is about as likely to be cut as Sammy Watkins.  Could they be released prior to week 1?  Sure.  Do I think it is at all likely?  I do not.

I don't see Amari as auto-lock this year. I don't think the Packers will carry him just to carry him. However, I also don't think that's going to be an issue because I think Amari will take "some" sort of step forward. The guy is a very talented player who excelled at one of the best programs in the country against the best competition. Also has decent bloodlines. He may not become a star but I don't see a J'mon Moore burnout here. 

I think age is becoming the new most overrated trait of a prospect. Yes, if a guy is 24 or 25, there is a red flag. And yes, I think Gutey values younger prospects more. But Christian Watson being 22 years old (23 by the start of the season) is going to keep him from being drafted by the Packers. Really? I understand Gutey has gone young, but it's not like he hasn't used high draft capital on guys of similar age. Almost every one of his 2nd round picks has been 22 years or older. Myers turned 23 before the start of his rookie year. Elgton Jenkins was 23 years old when he was drafted. A lot of guys projected to go in range of our 1st round picks are already 23 (Jermaine Johnson, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Devin Lloyd). Devonte Wyatt is already 24. That gets into red flag territory. I would much rather have a 20-21 year old prospect than a 24-25 prospect, but I'm not getting bent out of shape if a prospect is 22-23.

Looking at the ages of our best WRs in recent history. Jordy Nelson was almost the exact same age as Watson when we drafted him. Greg Jennings was just a few months younger. Cobb was a baby. James Jones was older. Donald Driver was 24. Davante was 21.

Just now, incognito_man said:

I'm usually not a WR guy, but if we can land 2 non-WRs in the first round and then Pierce and Pickens in the 2nd I would be tickled.

A Karlaftis-Hill-Pickens-Pierce start would be a coup, however, you'd probably have to trade up to get Pickens. Don't see him lasting to the 50s. He may not make it to 40. 

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

I'm usually not a WR guy, but if we can land 2 non-WRs in the first round and then Pierce and Pickens in the 2nd I would be tickled.

We were all on this train in 2020, and then Claypool, Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, hell even Van Jefferson all went before our pick in round 2.

We need the WR, just take them in round 1 and get the guy. Value won't be great, but neither is the value of 1-2 seasons of a 38 year old QB vs 2 firsts and a slew of other picks and players. We chose a title run over that, so take the guy you need for this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEagle said:

I think age is becoming the new most overrated trait of a prospect. Yes, if a guy is 24 or 25, there is a red flag. And yes, I think Gutey values younger prospects more. But Christian Watson being 22 years old (23 by the start of the season) is going to keep him from being drafted by the Packers. Really? I understand Gutey has gone young, but it's not like he hasn't used high draft capital on guys of similar age. Almost every one of his 2nd round picks has been 22 years or older. Myers turned 23 before the start of his rookie year. Elgton Jenkins was 23 years old when he was drafted. A lot of guys projected to go in range of our 1st round picks are already 23 (Jermaine Johnson, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Devin Lloyd). Devonte Wyatt is already 24. That gets into red flag territory. I would much rather have a 20-21 year old prospect than a 24-25 prospect, but I'm not getting bent out of shape if a prospect is 22-23.

Looking at the ages of our best WRs in recent history. Jordy Nelson was almost the exact same age as Watson when we drafted him. Greg Jennings was just a few months younger. Cobb was a baby. James Jones was older. Donald Driver was 24. Davante was 21.

It's not so much about whether age is an "overrated" factor or not, just more about Gute's tendencies. None of us may care much about age, but Gute drafts young guys, especially in the 1st round. It's pretty much a staple for him. Once you're outside of the 1st round, as you've pointed out, that factor goes away to a large extent. 

3 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Age is not the reason we draft someone, but is a tier breaker. Pickens and Burks are younger, they aren't to take Watson over those two, he's not going to make it to rd 2 either. Just don't see him being a Packer at all.