2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That number is naturally going to be a bit higher when you play around the ball as much as he did. The guy was basically a S/LB/EDGE combo for Baylor. He's the closest thing to Antoine Winfield in this year's draft and a lot of teams made the mistake of passing on him in 2020 (including us). Teams will do the same with Pitre. 

If he performs like Winfield, I am all in.

25 minutes ago, Hands said:

Not sure if people on this site listen to NFL on satellite radio, but one of the biggest gripes their scouts have with this crop of draftees is with the wideouts. They don't see any Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or even Ja'Marr Chase/Jeffersons. There are WRs with first round grades, but they aren't complete. Most are on the smaller size <200#s and few receivers at that size become a number 1 for an NFL team.  They state exceptions, but on average they are usually a team's number 2 receiver. Additionally, Bob McGinn has a newsletter about WRs and echoes the same sentiments that this year's WRs aren't well rounded.
So where does that put Green Bay's quest to replace Adams and MVS?

They have 4 premium picks, do they fill in the roster with high quality players that will fill in the roster with BPA at multiple positions or do they reach for WR ?
For sure Green Bay is going to draft multiple wideouts. I think, not sure but think a WRs like Olave, Williams, and Dotson aren't going to be the Packer's number 1 receiver. London has the size and stats, but has speed and quickness issues and according to McGinn's scouts Burks is considered a risky pick and most likely to be a bust!
McGinn's article doesn't mention the area where I think Green Bay is looking and that is in that late second early third round pick. Maybe Watson which is rated as the 49th best player (On Tony Pauline's board) or Tolbert who is rated the 59th best player and finally Pierce, at 67. Pickens is rated at 72, but as everyone knows if a team falls in love with a player they will take him early.
I think Green Bay will use one of their top 4 picks on a receiver and it will be in the second round. That is where they will get their WR that has good route running skills, good speed, (doesn't need to be MVS speed) size around 200 pounds and willing to block.
The other three premium picks will fit the BPA to the Edge, OT, DT, S, or CB positions.
This should be a great draft haul for the Packers this year.

Thanks Hands, good stuff as always. 

The Packers have a WR or 2 that they have narrowed this down to, but I'm having a hard time singling them out. Agree about Burks, I don't think he is the guy with his history of being overweight. If a guy can't keep his weight under control as a 18-21 YO what happens as he gets older, I can't think of one WR with weight issues that became a stud WR in NFL. It will be a mild surprise to me if he goes in the first round. 

Honestly think London could be Gutes guy if he did slip in the draft. Watson has age and drop passes working against him. Tolbert is an older player. Pierce seems perfect except for that 3-cone keeps jumping out at me. Pickens seems to be the flavor of the month everywhere you look, but tiny hands, injury history, spotty off the field history. That is a lot of question marks. With all these flawed WR's I'm starting to let Skyy Moore into the picture as a possibly, he is a 195 pounds. 

They may be just looking at the next wave of players because there are better matches in that group. Kevin Austin, Jr., Romeo Doubs, Eric Ezucanma and maybe even David Bell. 

The more I try to stack these players the more I think a DL is added early, as in first night early.   

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Anyone else in on Marcus Jones with 1 of our 4ths if we can get him there or a move up in the 4th to snag him? 

He is 5'8/174, it has been decades since the Packers drafted a player that size. Is there really any chance they start now?

11 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Anyone else in on Marcus Jones with 1 of our 4ths if we can get him there or a move up in the 4th to snag him? 

I think he is too small for GB… I mean unless if he is purely a special teamer pick and if that’s the case I don’t know if those metrics matter.

But I don’t know if they would even have him on their broad (at least high enough) to where they would be in a spot to draft him.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Jalen is 23, Dax is 21, be ready to be disappointed (if we use 28 on a DB).

I don't think Dax makes it close to 28, and I think we would be interested in him at 22, whether we like it or not. I'm fine to move on from Savage after this year to be frank if he doesn't show another level this coming year

3 hours ago, R T said:

Thanks Hands, good stuff as always. 

The Packers have a WR or 2 that they have narrowed this down to, but I'm having a hard time singling them out. Agree about Burks, I don't think he is the guy with his history of being overweight. If a guy can't keep his weight under control as a 18-21 YO what happens as he gets older, I can't think of one WR with weight issues that became a stud WR in NFL. It will be a mild surprise to me if he goes in the first round. 

Honestly think London could be Gutes guy if he did slip in the draft. Watson has age and drop passes working against him. Tolbert is an older player. Pierce seems perfect except for that 3-cone keeps jumping out at me. Pickens seems to be the flavor of the month everywhere you look, but tiny hands, injury history, spotty off the field history. That is a lot of question marks. With all these flawed WR's I'm starting to let Skyy Moore into the picture as a possibly, he is a 195 pounds. 

They may be just looking at the next wave of players because there are better matches in that group. Kevin Austin, Jr., Romeo Doubs, Eric Ezucanma and maybe even David Bell. 

The more I try to stack these players the more I think a DL is added early, as in first night early.   

I think GB is highest on London and Pierce. The third is a toss up between Watson, Burks and Pickens. This is why I have mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised if Pierce is their guy at 28. He screams Packer and is very similar to Jordy. And Jordy was taken as a high second… so a late first isn’t crazy for that type of prospect.

Better question is would GB be willing to trade up to secure London? Say trade 22 and a fourth to get in the more likely range. I wonder if any guy is worth it to them. 

8 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I love the idea of a great return guy, even if he is tiny, but the two shoulder ops he is recovering from, must give pause for thought.

49 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I love the idea of a great return guy, even if he is tiny, but the two shoulder ops he is recovering from, must give pause for thought.

After last yea, part of me says **** the size this guy is an electric returner and we could use him - he’s not a bad depth piece at the position either.

9 hours ago, R T said:

He is 5'8/174, it has been decades since the Packers drafted a player that size. Is there really any chance they start now?

He’s an electric returner and after last years specials unit? I don’t think you say no to probably the best returner in college football because he’s 5’8.

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

He’s an electric returner and after last years specials unit? I don’t think you say no to probably the best returner in college football because he’s 5’8.

It's not just 5'8", it's also 174 pounds and in the 24th year of his life. The big thing is the 174 pounds. This obsession with little players happens every year with Packer fans and it never happens. If a high-end returner for the Packers is what you crave you might want to look at Velus Jones Jr. from Tennessee, the Packers had him in for a 30-visit and he is a real possibility on day 3.  

• Like 1

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Most recent Green Bay Packers 2nd round WR picks:

Terrence Murphy - 2005
Greg Jennings - 2006
Jordy Nelson - 2008
Randall Cobb - 2011
Davante Adams - 2014

Quality WRs can be had in round 2, but it’s been 8 years since they’ve invested top picks in the position and it shows.

14 hours ago, Hands said:

Not sure if people on this site listen to NFL on satellite radio, but one of the biggest gripes their scouts have with this crop of draftees is with the wideouts. They don't see any Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or even Ja'Marr Chase/Jeffersons. There are WRs with first round grades, but they aren't complete. Most are on the smaller size <200#s and few receivers at that size become a number 1 for an NFL team.  They state exceptions, but on average they are usually a team's number 2 receiver. Additionally, Bob McGinn has a newsletter about WRs and echoes the same sentiments that this year's WRs aren't well rounded.
So where does that put Green Bay's quest to replace Adams and MVS?

They have 4 premium picks, do they fill in the roster with high quality players that will fill in the roster with BPA at multiple positions or do they reach for WR ?
For sure Green Bay is going to draft multiple wideouts. I think, not sure but think a WRs like Olave, Williams, and Dotson aren't going to be the Packer's number 1 receiver. London has the size and stats, but has speed and quickness issues and according to McGinn's scouts Burks is considered a risky pick and most likely to be a bust!
McGinn's article doesn't mention the area where I think Green Bay is looking and that is in that late second early third round pick. Maybe Watson which is rated as the 49th best player (On Tony Pauline's board) or Tolbert who is rated the 59th best player and finally Pierce, at 67. Pickens is rated at 72, but as everyone knows if a team falls in love with a player they will take him early.
I think Green Bay will use one of their top 4 picks on a receiver and it will be in the second round. That is where they will get their WR that has good route running skills, good speed, (doesn't need to be MVS speed) size around 200 pounds and willing to block.
The other three premium picks will fit the BPA to the Edge, OT, DT, S, or CB positions.
This should be a great draft haul for the Packers this year.

Kindda late to the party with that WR info.  We've known that for a while.  The strength of this WR class is depth, not the top.

• Like 2