2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

44 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Hell no.  This is the Green Bay Packers not the Cleveland Browns.  We don't roll that way.  Character matters. If he was acquitted maybe  but they would have to dig deep to make sure he OK.  Packers would likely just steer clear of the whole situation.   So would I if I was the GM...

FIrst of all, if this kid isn't acquitted or charges dropped he's probably going to jail for his NFL prime for sure. So it would be a wasted pick. 

and........ we've had plenty of characters with less than stellar backgrounds. Remember Johnny Jolly? He seemed like a good enough dude but went to jail, got out and played for us again. Colt Lyera, the folk hero. There were others too. 

I told you in the Deshaun Watson discussion, owners and Presidents don't really care. As long as they can play football. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Adam Anderson isn't even a top 5 pass rusher in this class, irregardless of the charges. 

With the charges, he'll go undrafted.

Disagree on the talent level. The guy can dip and get around the corner better than anybody in this draft or the last few drafts. He's an athletic freak too. He's not going to play on first and second down which is why guys may be ranked ahead of him, but from a pure pass rush standpoint. I'd put him up against any of them. 

We may never find out though. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Mock Draft on NFL Network.
And GB selects @ 28............................................

Jahan Dotson WR

If we go wr with both picks in round one this forum would implode. Obviously wouldn't happen but I'd love to snag one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

FIrst of all, if this kid isn't acquitted or charges dropped he's probably going to jail for his NFL prime for sure. So it would be a wasted pick. 

and........ we've had plenty of characters with less than stellar backgrounds. Remember Johnny Jolly? He seemed like a good enough dude but went to jail, got out and played for us again. Colt Lyera, the folk hero. There were others too. 

I told you in the Deshaun Watson discussion, owners and Presidents don't really care. As long as they can play football. 

Your question was would we take a late round flier before the case was resolved.  So I answered it.  Johnny Jolly was addicted to Codeine.  Quite a different situation than a rape charge.  Colt was a basket case agree was one of Ted's pet projects.  Didn't work out but again had a cocaine possession charge, academic issues.  Doesn't rise to the level of sexual assault.  

Yah maybe some owners don't care.  Cleveland sure as hell doesn't.  Jury is out on how that will all work out.  Most times taking guys like this blows up in the teams face.  AB being a prime example.  

The Packers don't operate that way.  Can guarantee any player with a sexual assault or rape charge won't be on their board regardless of how good they are.  

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lol, Jeremiah's live Mock on NFL Network just had go back to back with Olave and Dotson in Rd 1. Media is desperate for us to get some WRs. 

That's hilarious.  Even if we wanted to highly doubt we'd be able to snag both without a trade up.  Similar skill sets too.  Hope we get one of them.  Pickens or Pierce with the other pick.  Taller guy who has some blocking ability.  If Gutey goes wild maybe we take 2 with the top 4 picks.  Had Dotson and Pierce only because no one is really talking about them.  Olave seems like the obvious choice.  When do the Packers ever pick the obvious choice?  Could see Olave on the board and Gute passes on him for an OT, DL, or Edge watch Packer nation have a cow...What do you do if Davis and Olave are both available at #22?  

Edited by Scoremore

52 minutes ago, Green19 said:

...if they resign MVS, he isn’t getting cut. Lazard does too much to cut. Cobb is Rodgers friend and is only on this team because of that. And although he would be the most cut able of the four… I don’t see them ditching Amari this soon.

That mostly leaves 2 spots… and honestly that 6th spot is likely a late round rookie for teams.

I agree.  Basically there are three WR to add.  I see two broad options:

1. One high draft choice; one vet to play; and a later draft choice who won't be expected to play.  
  2.  Or one high draft choice; one vet to play; and a second vet.  In the two-vet scenario, the second vet could be a second vet to play; or could just be an experienced depth JAG.  
Edited by craig

27 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Your question was would we take a late round flier before the case was resolved.  So I answered it.  Johnny Jolly was addicted to Codeine.  Quite a different situation than a rape charge.  Colt was a basket case agree was one of Ted's pet projects.  Didn't work out but again had a cocaine possession charge, academic issues.  Doesn't rise to the level of sexual assault.  

Yah maybe some owners don't care.  Cleveland sure as hell doesn't.  Jury is out on how that will all work out.  Most times taking guys like this blows up in the teams face.  AB being a prime example.  

The Packers don't operate that way.  Can guarantee any player with a sexual assault or rape charge won't be on their board regardless of how good they are.  

He was also selling it from what I remember. 

12 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

That's hilarious.  Even if we wanted to highly doubt we'd be able to snag both without a trade up.  Similar skill sets too.  Hope we get one of them.  Pickens or Pierce with the other pick.  Taller guy who has some blocking ability.  If Gutey goes wild maybe we take 2 with the top 4 picks.  Had Dotson and Pierce only because no one is really talking about them.  Olave seems like the obvious choice.  When do the Packers ever pick the obvious choice?  Could see Olave on the board and Gute passes on him for an OT, DL, or Edge watch Packer nation have a cow...What do you do if Davis and Olave are both available at #22?  

I think it’s likely for Gute to pass on the WRs… none are slam dunks as far as measurables that they typically look for…. Each has their lacking trait. Olave and London feel like the only ones they would take unless they have someone ranked higher compared to the rest of the internet (Pickens and Watson come to mind).

But the Edge from Minnesota has crazy measurements and looks like a Packers pick.  As well as I’m sure there are some oline guys they like in that area, as well as some of the secondary options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He was also selling it from what I remember. 

Purple Drank...whatever that is.  Jolly was a fan fav.  

https://www.sportscasting.com/johnny-jollys-drug-addiction-cost-him-his-nfl-career-and-his-freedom/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7053668/johnny-jolly-green-bay-packers-arrested-another-drug-charge

Nothing about dealing it he was an addict.  

Hell Favre was addicted to Vicodin.  

Sexual assault and rape well that's another thing entirely.  Why I was shocked to see teams lining up to sign Watson.  Didn't even bother to wait until his legal issues were settled.  You proved your point.  You were right and I was wrong about Watson.  Packers would never have made that move though.  They wouldn't ever take a guy who is accused of rape ether. 

22 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think it’s likely for Gute to pass on the WRs… none are slam dunks as far as measurables that they typically look for…. Each has their lacking trait. Olave and London feel like the only ones they would take unless they have someone ranked higher compared to the rest of the internet (Pickens and Watson come to mind).

But the Edge from Minnesota has crazy measurements and looks like a Packers pick.  As well as I’m sure there are some oline guys they like in that area, as well as some of the secondary options.

Amari Rodgers is the only WR we've drafted in three seasons and he doesn't fit the "Packers mold" for WRs. I think it's fair to stop ruling out potential impact players because they don't fit the model of what we used to draft ten years ago.

It's doubtful that any of the top 4 offensive linemen make it to 22, and a lot of the mock drafts lately show an early run on EDGE. Maybe one falls to us but Ojabo getting hurt makes that harder. WR seems to be shaping up as the marriage between need and value.

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lol, Jeremiah's live Mock on NFL Network just had go back to back with Olave and Dotson in Rd 1. Media is desperate for us to get some WRs. 

While I know this is an on-going convo and the assumption is we sign a free agent and draft someone in round 1 or 2. To play devils advocate a little, if the draft was tomorrow, that wouldn't be an insane outcome even though not sure how many times a team took two WRs in the 1st, if that has ever happened. I would hope maybe it would be a 1st and 2nd rounder instead of two 1st. I would argue at the moment the Packers need would be considered somewhat desperate at the WR position. I know people want an EDGE but we have Smith and Gary, some want a DL(like myself) but we just signed Reed and have Lowry, we re-signed Tonyan at TE and RT may be a need(Nijman earned a chance imo) but I wouldn't call that desperate. At WR we have Lazard, Cobb, and Rodgers, that is pretty rough.