2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

4 minutes ago, R T said:

If people want to zero in on slight 180ish lb. WR's maybe look at a day 3 guy like Tyquan Thornton, he is a player that has a real chance of being drafted by the Packers.

Agree. He's got MVS II written all over him. Apparently he can fly like the wind.....only, at 177# a stiff head wind could slow him down considerably :)

14 minutes ago, R T said:

If people want to zero in on slight 180ish lb. WR's maybe look at a day 3 guy like Tyquan Thornton, he is a player that has a real chance of being drafted by the Packers.

He, like Burks, also has a pre draft visit with GB. Which worried me because normally the guys they end up drafting are guys that had no idea GB was even interested in them. Ala Alexander.

I wonder if they don’t care as much when bringing in guys.

44 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

They have a type, but there are two different types--one for slot/jet and for outside. Dotson could play slot for them, but they already have Cobb and Rodgers there, so I don't think he's a priority for them. Actually, the slot guy in general isn't a priority for them.

Who’s the slot type? St. Brown was playing a lot of slot

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Again… I don’t think they are against guys who don’t meet their standards, they just aren’t using 28 overall on them. Amari was a 3rd rounder (a late one at that), if Dotson makes it to them in the 3rd round… I could see them taking him. Again comes down to value. So it’s always a sliding scale. They can bring in a small, skinny guy as an UDFA that meets none of their standards. But the cost to them is almost nothing. 1st rounders as Andrew Brandt always says… are like gold.

My point was you said you’d be mad if at 28 they select Watson over Dotson. My point is Watson and a few others would likely be the types of WRs that they would take at 28 (over Dotson).

They almost certainly would take Dotson at some point in the draft, just not with their “gold” picks. So it just a matter at what point would they be willing to look past their typical standards for Dotson…2nd? 3rd? 4th?

And I don’t think Dotson will fall far enough to where GB would be comfortable. So all I’m saying is if Dotson is your draft crush, chances are likely you’re going to be disappointed when it’s all done. More so when GB already has 2 small slot guys already.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, I'm just pointing out that WR selections have been so sparse over the last few drafts that it's conceivable that the previous standards have shifted. There have been a lot of rule changes since we last took a WR as early as 28.

Until we see what happens, I've stopped guessing at what they're looking for in an outside receiver.

It's not like Dotson is tiny, at 5'11 I don't think they'll disqualify him from outside work. He's probably a little slight for now but his frame is projectable and he's got good body control/route running and hands. Personally I think of him more as a trade-back-to-an-early-second guy. You get him and you get an immediate contributor like Greg Jennings.

Someone like Watson would be a late second rounder for me. Too old to be this raw and think of him as a first rounder.  I see a project with a big gap between his ceiling and floor.

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

If we take Watson over Dotson at 28 I might flip a table over.

And then two years from now Dotson will be buried on a bench somewhere and Watson will be on his second All Pro team and I'll be happy I was wrong.

In 2006 people lost their minds that the Packers passed on a chance to take consensus #1 WR Chad Jackson when they traded back from #36, also to miss out on Sinorice Moss, only to "reach" for the WR from Western Michigan at 52.

Sometimes NFL teams are smarter than we are.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Green19 said:

He, like Burks, also has a pre draft visit with GB. Which worried me because normally the guys they end up drafting are guys that had no idea GB was even interested in them. Ala Alexander.

I wonder if they don’t care as much when bringing in guys.

I tracked this for probably a 10-year period at one time and the results were very telling. High-end prospects that had 30 visits seemed to be complete deco's, yet later round and UDFA types were very likely to be in play. I believe it was 2017 when 12 of the 30 that made a visit ended up on the 90-man roster either as a late round pick or UDFA. Every year a number of the UDFA's are always some of the 30 visits. 

Gutes first season as GM he threw me a real curveball when he took 30 visit Oren Burks in the 3rd round and the next year I believe Sternberger was one also, but that is the highest picks I know of that were 30-visits. Which is why when I first heard Treylon Burks was a 30 visit I thought, oh crap they have no interest in drafting him, he is just a deco. But in this big game a poker that teams play with the draft Gutes certainly could do a 180 on this and catch everyone by surprise this year.        

2 minutes ago, R T said:

I tracked this for probably a 10-year period at one time and the results were very telling. High-end prospects that had 30 visits seemed to be complete deco's, yet later round and UDFA types were very likely to be in play. I believe it was 2017 when 12 of the 30 that made a visit ended up on the 90-man roster either as a late round pick or UDFA. Every year a number of the UDFA's are always some of the 30 visits. 

Gutes first season as GM he threw me a real curveball when he took 30 visit Oren Burks in the 3rd round and the next year I believe Sternberger was one also, but that is the highest picks I know of that were 30-visits. Which is why when I first heard Treylon Burks was a 30 visit I thought, oh crap they have no interest in drafting him, he is just a deco. But in this big game a poker that teams play with the draft Gutes certainly could do a 180 on this and catch everyone by surprise this year.        

Yeah, I wondered that myself (that he is a deco). But he literally is what they want at WR… it’s just that RAS. So that’s why I said I wonder if they are using the visit almost as a classic red flag type check, getting comfortable with him.

Make sure they love the person to justify selecting the prospect with such an average RAS score so high.

And funny enough… it’s that RAS score that will likely allow him to be in play for GB at all. If he had great numbers.. he is in talks to be WR1 taken.

• Like 1

PackersWire Mock Draft -

First Round, 22nd overall pick: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

Green Bay wastes no time addressing their needs at wide receiver. Olave is the most polished route runner in this year’s draft and has a very high ceiling with number one receiver potential. In 12 starts last season, Olave caught 65 passes for 936 yards and 13 touchdowns.

First Round, 28th overall pick: Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota

If there’s an outlier of the group, it’s definitely Faalele. Faalele is bigger than most tackles Green Bay typically selects (standing at 6-8) and is not as athletic. The Minnesota tackle was the heaviest player in combine history at 384 pounds and did not perform well during the agility drills. However, I had a difficult time picturing a scenario in which Gutekunst doesn’t address the right tackle spot in the first round.

Second Round, 53rd overall pick: Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego State

With Za’Darius Smith no longer in the picture, Green Bay needs to add another edge rusher behind Preston Smith and Rashan Gary. Thomas was one of the most productive defensive players in college football last season, racking up 20.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks. Getting drafted by the Packers could give the Mountain West product time to get bigger and stronger while refining his game.

Second Round, 59th overall pick: Travis Jones, DT, Connecticut

Green Bay has started to add more pieces around Kenny Clark, but their work isn’t over. You can never have too many defensive tackles, and Jones is a steal in the second round. Jones was a standout for a bad defense in college, where he became one of the best run-stuffers in the country.

Third Round, 92nd overall pick: Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

Think of a young version of Marcedes Lewis. That’s Jelani Woods. Soon to be 38 years of age, Lewis can’t play forever, and Green Bay needs to start thinking about the future of their tight end group. Robert Tonyan is coming off an ACL injury, and the early returns on Josiah Deguara have been average at best.

Fourth Round, 132nd overall pick: Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada

Similar to 2018, Gutekunst may add multiple wide receivers in the draft. Doubs is an intriguing prospect who was productive as an outside and slot receiver. In 2021, he led his team with 80 receptions, 1,109 receiving yards (13.9 yards per catch), and 11 touchdowns while also returning punts.

Fourth Round, 140th overall pick: Sterling Weatherford, S, Miami (Ohio)

Speaking of special teams, Weatherford is a potential ace on day three. His imposing size at 6-4 and 215 lbs is only one of the intriguing aspects of this player. Weatherford possesses booming hit power and is an excellent open-field tackler.

Fifth Round, 171st overall pick: Zach Tom, OT, Wake Forest

The Packers love versatile offensive linemen, and Tom is certainly that. After all, he is a center prospect who spent the last two years at left tackle. Tom could practically line up anywhere on the line at the next level.

Seventh Round, 228th overall pick: Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech

Barno turned heads at this year’s combine when he ran a 4.36 and had a broad jump of 131 inches. His athleticism alone makes him worthy of a day three flier. Barno does not have a refined technique or aggressive playstyle, which caused his production to remain stagnant in college.

Seventh Round, 249th overall pick: Darrell Baker Jr, CB, Georgia Southern

Gutekunst has selected five corners in his four drafts as the Packers’ GM, so it’s a safe bet he will take at least one. Green Bay does not have any pressing needs at corner, but Baker is an ideal candidate for special teams. This guy has basically done it all, as he has been a gunner and the contain man on kickoffs while also protecting the returner on punts.

Edited by Leader

IKE Packers Podcast -  Top WR Draft Prospects (2021 stats)

Chris Olave (65 rec, 936 yds, 13 TD)

Drake London (88 rec, 1084 yds, 7 TD)

Garrett Wilson (70 rec, 1058 yds, 12 TD)

Jameson Williams (79 rec, 1572 yds, 15 TD)

Treylon Burks (66 rec, 1104 yds, 11 TD)

40 minutes ago, Leader said:

IKE Packers Podcast -  Top WR Draft Prospects (2021 stats)

Chris Olave (65 rec, 936 yds, 13 TD)

Drake London (88 rec, 1084 yds, 7 TD)

Garrett Wilson (70 rec, 1058 yds, 12 TD)

Jameson Williams (79 rec, 1572 yds, 15 TD)

Treylon Burks (66 rec, 1104 yds, 11 TD)

I think Wilson is the guy who definitely won't be there at 22.  The rest wouldn't surprise me.  

• Like 1