2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

On 2/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, lavar703 said:

Only this team and fanbase would champion trading someone like Chase Young plus multiple first round picks for a QB who’s going to be 39-years old and not sure if he even wants to play football anymore. And then when the Rodgers trade inevitably fails and Young is a perennial DPOY candidate we can all go on twitter and act like those same fans never wanted to trade Young. Even Russell Wilson. He’s clearly breaking down physically. Tremendous player but his window isn’t as open as a classic pocket passer. 

Just save the damn draft picks and players. Sign Trubisky and draft Willis. If Willis sucks just pick another QB the following year. Just keep doing it until you get it right. 

I am with you.  I just can't get on board with Rodgers because he is a year to year guy.  I think the most you count on him for is 2 seasons and you can't make some absurd trade and a pile of cap for a 2 year solution.  He is incredible but he could quit at any moment.  So I wouldn't bother with him.  

This whole Trubisky thing kind of annoys me.  Trubisky is nothing special.  He is a false solution.  If we are drafting a qb in the first round I expect him to play in season one so just let him sit behind Heinicke.  

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am with you.  I just can't get on board with Rodgers because he is a year to year guy.  I think the most you count on him for is 2 seasons and you can't make some absurd trade and a pile of cap for a 2 year solution.  He is incredible but he could quit at any moment.  So I wouldn't bother with him.  

This whole Trubisky thing kind of annoys me.  Trubisky is nothing special.  He is a false solution.  If we are drafting a qb in the first round I expect him to play in season one so just let him sit behind Heinicke.  

I don’t want Trubisky but apparently Rivera is smitten with him so we all know it’s coming. Personally I’d rather just draft one of the 4 QBs we usually talk about and have him compete with Heinicke. It makes the most sense. 

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t want Trubisky but apparently Rivera is smitten with him so we all know it’s coming. Personally I’d rather just draft one of the 4 QBs we usually talk about and have him compete with Heinicke. It makes the most sense. 

Where did you hear or see Rivera likes Trubisky?

52 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Where did you hear or see Rivera likes Trubisky?

There was talk that they were going to trade for him at the deadline. At least they didn’t do that. 

I haven’t specifically heard that Rivera is into Trubisky, but the dots are pretty easy to connect from Buffalo to here, with Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane both being former Carolina guys. I think that close connection, coupled with the apparently legit smoke that was floating around about Trubisky to Washington in November, is where the talk is coming from. 

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

It’s classic Washington. Being a different, potentially marginally better flavor of mediocre has value to them. 

So instead of focusing everything on the rookie, and using that money to invest in a player who could be on the field to help the rookie QB moving forward, they’re going to invest more time, reps, and financial assets into yet another QB who (a) isn’t nearly good enough to make us matter, but (b) may effectively block and/or take away from the maximum development of the rookie we’re ostensibly building around for the future. 

• Like 1

I will say, the only situation where I think signing one of these retread guys as a bridge to a rookie is if we are hoping to draft Willis. 

If that’s the case, I could get on board with signing Mariota because he’s a guy for whom you’re going to build in some legit QB run concepts. I think there’s value in letting the offensive staff commit fully to building an offense that leans heavily on the QB as a rushing weapon. That’s a very different system than the one they’re using now, and if they’re going to be transitioning over to Willis, they should be focusing on ramping up to the moment he’s takes the field — both in terms of developing and refining their concepts/play calls and in terms of schooling up the players (OL in particular) on how the expectations for and requirements of them will be changing. 

Otherwise, why not just keep Heinicke? He’s not great, obviously. But he’s decent enough to keep you credible and respectable, and he would buy you enough time to keep the rookie off the field until he’s ready. And you could put that $10M (or whatever you’d spend on Trubisky or some other bridge) towards a veteran receiver or a quality RB3 or OL depth or hell, just throw it in the bag of money you’d have to give Scherff to come back. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I will say, the only situation where I think signing one of these retread guys as a bridge to a rookie is if we are hoping to draft Willis. 

If that’s the case, I could get on board with signing Mariota because he’s a guy for whom you’re going to build in some legit QB run concepts. I think there’s value in letting the offensive staff commit fully to building an offense that leans heavily on the QB as a rushing weapon. That’s a very different system than the one they’re using now, and if they’re going to be transitioning over to Willis, they should be focusing on ramping up to the moment he’s takes the field — both in terms of developing and refining their concepts/play calls and in terms of schooling up the players (OL in particular) on how the expectations for and requirements of them will be changing. 

Otherwise, why not just keep Heinicke? He’s not great, obviously. But he’s decent enough to keep you credible and respectable, and he would buy you enough time to keep the rookie off the field until he’s ready. And you could put that $10M (or whatever you’d spend on Trubisky or some other bridge) towards a veteran receiver or a quality RB3 or OL depth or hell, just throw it in the bag of money you’d have to give Scherff to come back. 

For me also drafting Willis as well. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I wouldnt sign a FA QB if you are drafting one in the 1st. I would just roll with Heinicke until the rook was ready. 

That being said, I would still trade for a very good/great vet QB over drafting a 1st round QB this year. 

If it means including Sweat or Young in the trade I have no interest. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

If it means including Sweat or Young in the trade I have no interest. 

Depending on the QB I'd be ok with it. That "dominant" defensive line is very overrated. 

I'd trade our first and Chase Young/Montez Sweat for Russell Wilson/Kyler Murray/Deshaun Watson. 

I know people would be upset if/when the traded defender blows up, but our need for a QB outweighs our defense in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Depending on the QB I'd be ok with it. That "dominant" defensive line is very overrated. 

I'd trade our first and Chase Young/Montez Sweat for Russell Wilson/Kyler Murray/Deshaun Watson. 

I know people would be upset if/when the traded defender blows up, but our need for a QB outweighs our defense in my opinion. 

I’d rather keep our picks, salary cap space and player and just keep drafting a QB until we got it right. Honestly, you’re talking about three first round picks, Chase Young plus another mid round pick for any of those guys. That’s just dumb and if you’re GM who makes that move you should immediately be fired. You’ve essentially given up an unprecedented four first round picks for a group of QBs that have one Super Bowl win between the three of them. Nah.