2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I guess that’s a good plan if you believe all the QBs are equal or you have them all rated the same. To me if we’re all in on picking a QB you don’t pick what’s left unless it’s true what I stated. It all depends what RR and staff want and who they like most. 

Totally agree. If you’re just sitting around saying “well, I guess any of them are fine,” then you really probably don’t like any of them enough to make them your guy. 

That said, I am at a point right now where I don’t really care who they pick. I’m not going to be really happy with any of the top 4, and I’m not going to be really mad about any of the top 4 either. I think they all have a chance, but I don’t really love any of their chances.

I still have Willis (ceiling) and Pickett (floor) at the top of the list, but I could easily envision a scenario where Howell (Herbert career path) or Corral (arguably best raw tools/polish combo) ended up as the best. I wouldn’t want to wager my career on any of these guys, but someone will probably hit it relatively big. 

The only thing will genuinely upset me is if they take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. If you don’t want him in the 1st, then you don’t want him.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

Okay I’ve watched the shrine bowl 3 times. Tay Martin from Oklahoma St is a frigen gamer!!! Fearless and just plucks everything out the air. This guy might not have the pub but this guy is a ball player!!! He flashed almost every week this season. But this week with a QB throwing and trusting his guys man Tay and the Baylor WR just look amazing

46 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Okay I’ve watched the shrine bowl 3 times. Tay Martin from Oklahoma St is a frigen gamer!!! Fearless and just plucks everything out the air. This guy might not have the pub but this guy is a ball player!!! He flashed almost every week this season. But this week with a QB throwing and trusting his guys man Tay and the Baylor WR just look amazing

He is, my concern is that WRs who come from those systems have very rarely become anything in the NFL. It’s a red flag for me. It depends on where we’d draft him. If he’s a late round guy then I’m all for it.

Edited by turtle28

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He is, my concern is that WRs who come from those systems have very rarely become anything in the NFL. It’s a red flag for me. It depends on where we’d draft him. If he’s a late round guy then I’m all for it.

Kinda like OSU QBs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s why watching them with NFL routes and concepts and actually seeing them do everything they haven’t at school makes me say clearly they have something more then the normal air raid guys that struggle with these exact things these guys are showing they can. All these guys were making tough catches honestly I came away very impressed with a lot of guys I’ve had my eyes on this season in these all star games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Kinda like OSU QBs.

I knew that’s as coming, the difference being that Ok St has been running the same offensive system for a decade of more w/ Al “mullet” Bundy as their HC.

Ohio St. has more of a pro style offense/passing game since Ryan Day because their offensive coordinator & now HC over the last 4 years.

They don’t run Urban Meyer’s offense anymore and haven’t since JT Barret was their QB back in 2017 & before.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-reeses-senior-bowl-biggest-risers?utm_source=activecampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=february_6_2022&utm_content=newsletter

Senior Bowl’s Biggest Risers:

1. Jermaine Johnson, Edge, Florida St.

2. Travis Jones, NT, Connecticut

3. Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma

4. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

5. Devonte Wyatt, 3-4 DE/DT, Georgia

6. Jalen Pitre, FS, Baylor

7. DeAngelo Malone, Edge, Western Ky

8. Christian Watson. WR, North Dakota St

9. Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington St

10. Jerome Ford, RB, Cincinnati 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-reeses-senior-bowl-biggest-risers?utm_source=activecampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=february_6_2022&utm_content=newsletter

Senior Bowl’s Biggest Risers:

1. Jermaine Johnson, Edge, Florida St.

2. Travis Jones, NT, Connecticut

3. Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma

4. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

5. Devonte Wyatt, 3-4 DE/DT, Georgia

6. Jalen Pitre, FS, Baylor

7. DeAngelo Malone, Edge, Western Ky

8. Christian Watson. WR, North Dakota St

9. Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington St

10. Jerome Ford, RB, Cincinnati 

I’d put Winfrey on that list. He’s a red chip with blue chip potential. This guys a heck of a football player. I think he was a mid rounder maybe second rounder to most coming in he belongs in the top tier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been spending so much time on QBs that I haven’t really been focusing on a lot of other positions, largely just assuming that the 1st rounder is going for a QB one way or the other and not quite at the point where I’m digging into clear Day 2 guys. 

Watching some Treylon Burks (Arkansas) this morning, I think he has the highest ceiling of all the WRs in this draft. He has the size, long speed, short area burst, contested catch ability, and after-catch skills to be an absolutely dominant player in the NFL. He’s huge, and he can really fly, which is enough standing alone to keep you in the NFL for 10 years. But he flashes the ability to make catches in tight spaces, both in close coverage and along the sideline, which requires special body control when you’re that big. And he is a load to bring down with the ball in his hands, which is where the modern NFL continues to be headed. 

Not really the total package. Route running is not particularly impressive. For being a big guy, he’s a bad blocker. The biggest issue I have is more of a “feel” thing, and it’s that I suspect from watching him that he doesn’t have the best football sense. I don’t want to say IQ, because that brings a whole different can of worms into play — but some guys just know how to play and do the little things, and some guys don’t. When you watch him, he often looks a little confused (or is motioning as if he is) just before the snap. He does stuff that leaves you scratching your head, like run into the QB and RB mid-read option when he’s coming through in jet motion or badly fumbling hand-offs in that same type of action. And he looks lost a lot of the time when he’s supposed to be blocking. 

So I think he’s probably a pretty big boom/bust type guy. But man, he makes plays. And the part I love the most is sort of twofold: his coaches are obviously scheming up ways to get the ball into his hands in any way possible, but they’re also scheming up ways to use him as a decoy to open things up for the rest of the offense. That speaks to me that his coaches recognize that he’s a level above anyone else they have, but also that they know that opposing coaches feel the same way and have been drilling their guys on not letting #16 beat them. 

Pretty sure he’s going to blow up the combine and be gone within the top 20 picks. He’s an elite athlete in a conference filled with elite athletes, someone is going to fall in love with the numbers he’ll put up. So unless we’re taking him at 11, I’m not sure where we would get him. But he’s one of those guys that, if he started to fall into the mid-20s, I’d be awfully tempted to move up and get him. Guys with that physical profile just don’t grow on trees. 

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ve been spending so much time on QBs that I haven’t really been focusing on a lot of other positions, largely just assuming that the 1st rounder is going for a QB one way or the other and not quite at the point where I’m digging into clear Day 2 guys. 

Watching some Treylon Burks (Arkansas) this morning, I think he has the highest ceiling of all the WRs in this draft. He has the size, long speed, short area burst, contested catch ability, and after-catch skills to be an absolutely dominant player in the NFL. He’s huge, and he can really fly, which is enough standing alone to keep you in the NFL for 10 years. But he flashes the ability to make catches in tight spaces, both in close coverage and along the sideline, which requires special body control when you’re that big. And he is a load to bring down with the ball in his hands, which is where the modern NFL continues to be headed. 

Not really the total package. Route running is not particularly impressive. For being a big guy, he’s a bad blocker. The biggest issue I have is more of a “feel” thing, and it’s that I suspect from watching him that he doesn’t have the best football sense. I don’t want to say IQ, because that brings a whole different can of worms into play — but some guys just know how to play and do the little things, and some guys don’t. When you watch him, he often looks a little confused (or is motioning as if he is) just before the snap. He does stuff that leaves you scratching your head, like run into the QB and RB mid-read option when he’s coming through in jet motion or badly fumbling hand-offs in that same type of action. And he looks lost a lot of the time when he’s supposed to be blocking. 

So I think he’s probably a pretty big boom/bust type guy. But man, he makes plays. And the part I love the most is sort of twofold: his coaches are obviously scheming up ways to get the ball into his hands in any way possible, but they’re also scheming up ways to use him as a decoy to open things up for the rest of the offense. That speaks to me that his coaches recognize that he’s a level above anyone else they have, but also that they know that opposing coaches feel the same way and have been drilling their guys on not letting #16 beat them. 

Pretty sure he’s going to blow up the combine and be gone within the top 20 picks. He’s an elite athlete in a conference filled with elite athletes, someone is going to fall in love with the numbers he’ll put up. So unless we’re taking him at 11, I’m not sure where we would get him. But he’s one of those guys that, if he started to fall into the mid-20s, I’d be awfully tempted to move up and get him. Guys with that physical profile just don’t grow on trees. 

We are on the same page here E. I’m doing a top 50 big board and I have him as my highest rated WR. And apart of that is I’m scouting for what I think this team wants or should want based on what they have or can upgrade elsewhere. Now I think the thing about my ranking is that post season events and me forshadowing what should happen with the combine and I’ve had him in the top 15 to almost 10 because he simply is amazing. I think he and Terry could really be a catalyst going forward. It’s a upgrade at really what you are expecting out of Samuel and Cam Sims and it allows you to have this piece here when they come off the books as Cam does this year and Curtis we could let walk after this season if you draft Burkes and save that figure. Most of my mocks that is my selection at 11.