2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So I guess now you’re going to tell me that Howell is not going to be a good QB bc of some athletic evaluation that we don’t even know about yet?

Right, we don't know about it yet. It's all projection. But many people and yourself said he looks like a Baker's clone so I posted Baker's numbers. 

We also have Sam Howell's numbers from when he entered UNC and while he can improve on those, it's not like he will improve on them that much. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/229226/sam-howell

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Ben Roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Matt Stafford, Dan Fouts, Matt Ryan, Sonny Jergensen, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Trent Green, Kerry Collins, Boomer Esiason.

How many of those guys are 6'1"? 

• Like 1

Tae & Todd did a good job breaking down some Malik Willis games. He’s definitely intriguing but if we drafted him I think we’re going to have to do what San Fran did w/ Trey Lance. Sit him as a rookie & then he’s still going to be developing in his first few years once he becomes a starter. We may not figure out if he’s going to be a good starter until he’s in his 4th year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Tae & Todd did a good job breaking down some Malik Willis games. He’s definitely intriguing but if we drafted him I think we’re going to have to do what San Fran did w/ Trey Lance. Sit him as a rookie & then he’s still going to be developing in his first few years once he becomes a starter. We may not figure out if he’s going to be a good starter until he’s in his 4th year.

Rivera already said they have no plans on sitting a rookie if they pick one. I’d say this rules out Willis. My guess is we either foolishly send the 11th pick to the Niners, trade it for Carr or spend it on Pickett or Howell. 

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Rivera already said they have no plans on sitting a rookie if they pick one. I’d say this rules out Willis. My guess is we either foolishly send the 11th pick to the Niners, trade it for Carr or spend it on Pickett or Howell. 

Rivera says some ridiculous ish a lot of times. Like how can he even say that w/o knowing if the rookie will be ready or not or he’ll be the best option?

What a dumb comment he made. 

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

josh-allen-ras-16329.png

He has a great 10 yard split with some amazing explosion scores. His 4.75 top end speed is not THAT impressive but he makes up for it in other areas. 

Good call. That does make sense, an explosive quick burst would be crucial to breaking the pocket and getting clear of the guys even with the LOS. Tough to chase a guy down from behind once he’s past you, even if you’ve got a significant edge in long speed. 

I also think there’s some skill in determining the best “angle of exit” from the pocket. Allen clearly seems to have that (in the BUF game film) and I think Howell does too. It always seems like he’s on the best trajectory to avoid the first level defenders when he breaks the pocket. 

• Like 3

If I was looking at these two draft classes I think 2 1’s and a player and some change I’m def working from there to get Desean Watson. That’s alittle Rams level strategy basically saying instead of guessing on a prospect bringing in a true blue level player. I mean I still think Willis is the guy that ends up being the guy but just going over grades and just forward thinking if you can get the clearance on the law issues and league foresight as far as suspension then you work from there. I just don’t think Russ would sign off on this team. I think with his age it’s hard to believe he’s a logical vision to staying competitive into a new stadium I think Watson is the logic choice if we’re just talking from a pure football standpoint.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

If I was looking at these two draft classes I think 2 1’s and a player and some change I’m def working from there to get Desean Watson. That’s alittle Rams level strategy basically saying instead of guessing on a prospect bringing in a true blue level player. I mean I still think Willis is the guy that ends up being the guy but just going over grades and just forward thinking if you can get the clearance on the law issues and league foresight as far as suspension then you work from there. I just don’t think Russ would sign off on this team. I think with his age it’s hard to believe he’s a logical vision to staying competitive into a new stadium I think Watson is the logic choice if we’re just talking from a pure football standpoint.

I don’t think Watson will want to come here. The teams he was interested are warm weather teams. I don’t think he’s interested is playing for a team that has cold weather. I could be wrong, but he’s a South Carolina guy. He was interested in going to Miami or Carolina last year. I understand he was interested in playing for Flores and that was some of the Miami lure but, I’d still think he’d be interested in playing in Miami rather than in DC. Same w/ Carolina.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Watson will want to come here. The teams he was interested are warm weather teams. I don’t think he’s interested is playing for a team that has cold weather. I could be wrong, but he’s a South Carolina guy. He was interested in going to Miami or Carolina last year. I understand he was interested in playing for Flores and that was some of the Miami lure but, I’d still think he’d be interested in playing in Miami rather than in DC. Same w/ Carolina.

I think there’s been a lot reported but I do think this is a different year market and willingness to move the player. Last year there was no clarity and we don’t even know the Dolphins coaching staff and they seem to be determined to find a coach for Tua like the Giants did for Jones. Carolina is actually where I think Pickett goes.

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think there’s been a lot reported but I do think this is a different year market and willingness to move the player. Last year there was no clarity and we don’t even know the Dolphins coaching staff and they seem to be determined to find a coach for Tua like the Giants did for Jones. Carolina is actually where I think Pickett goes.

Why would Carolina not trade for Watson? They were rumored to want him last year. They have a very aggressive new owner, they have the same GM & same HC. If Miami isn’t the front runner anymore bc Flores is gone, then Carolina must be or whatever team hires Flores bc I’ll be shocked if Flores doesn’t get one of the HC jobs.

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Why would Carolina not trade for Watson? They were rumored to want him last year. They have a very aggressive new owner, they have the same GM & same HC. If Miami isn’t the front runner anymore bc Flores is gone, then Carolina must be or whatever team hires Flores bc I’ll be shocked if Flores doesn’t get one of the HC jobs.

There’s been a lot of he said she said about the Flores situation. But currently he isn’t hired and I think originally the Giants were the team most interested. And if Flores was so married to Watson why not just not go to Huston where you don’t have to give assets he’s already there? I just think there were a lot of click click stories last year he wasn’t getting a haul with legal issues. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

There’s been a lot of he said she said about the Flores situation. But currently he isn’t hired and I think originally the Giants were the team most interested. And if Flores was so married to Watson why not just not go to Huston where you don’t have to give assets he’s already there? I just think there were a lot of click click stories last year he wasn’t getting a haul with legal issues. 

It’s basically anyones guess. Personally I’m almost 100% that we won’t land one of the top QBs via trade though. I think we’re going to have to trade for Jimmy G (which I wouldn’t do), sign Mariota (who we wanted to trade for last year) to sign Trubisky. As I’ve said before, this just seems like the most likely scenario for this current FA. I just hope when/if we sign Mariota or Trubisky that we also draft a QB in rnd 1 to compete w/ then and Heinicke for the starting job this year. 

If I had to put $ on it, I’d guess that Mariota is our starting QB week 1.