2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Say we trade down and the team trading spots with us takes a QB. Can you imagine how bad things will look for this regime if they trade out of a QB and he ends up being good lol

You can count on us missing on something big almost yearly.  It is impossible not to.  We passed on Herbert 2 years ago when we could have just picked him.  But you can't just pick a qb to pick one.  You have to believe in the pick.  

It is pretty easy to miss all over the first round at any position, just look at our recent history.  As long as we don't trade up, I won't have a problem with us taking a qb.  I just don't want us to miss twice at the same time if you follow.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You can count on us missing on something big almost yearly.  It is impossible not to.  We passed on Herbert 2 years ago when we could have just picked him.  But you can't just pick a qb to pick one.  You have to believe in the pick.  

It is pretty easy to miss all over the first round at any position, just look at our recent history.  As long as we don't trade up, I won't have a problem with us taking a qb.  I just don't want us to miss twice at the same time if you follow.

Totally understand what you’re saying. I’m just not sure how this regime can enter year 3 without picking a QB? That puts them at year 4 picking a QB which essentially makes year 4 a throw away season. I think they’ve just totally botched this QB situation all the way around 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Totally understand what you’re saying. I’m just not sure how this regime can enter year 3 without picking a QB? That puts them at year 4 picking a QB which essentially makes year 4 a throw away season. I think they’ve just totally botched this QB situation all the way around 

But that’s how coaches keep their jobs past their first deal is drafting a QB in year 4 if the chips fall that way with their team and they have the opportunity too. But for all the hype this class got Mac Jones has been the best. And again what team you go too matters. All these guys have talent. But the Pats had the best situation outside of San Fran. But San Fran drafted the guy with the highest ceiling and chose to develop him. So this year was essentially going to be a redshirt year for whoever drafted Lance. Willis is going to be very similar to Lance. While he has way more reps and games coming out he is very far from a NFL level QB when it comes to the mental part that QB’s have to learn to be franchise guys unless he relays souly on his athletic ability then you risk having a RG situation where he could be hurt before he even learns how to win games through the air.

But too your point I think they have a plan and I actually like the idea of building the team. It’s the way their coaching these guys that has me concerned. I personally feel like their bitching the development of some of these guys

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

They certainly failed at acquiring a qb, but in hindsight I am not sure we botched it last year.

In hindsight, it doesn't seem like many of our would be options are looking worthy anyways.

The Year 1 hindsight with Herbert is all I can think of when it comes to botching it but at that time Herbert wasn't obvious, we had a complicated qb situation already and Chase Young was the obvious choice.

The more Kenny Pickett I watch, the more I kinda think he’s my guy at QB for this draft. 

The thing I like best is that they’re running an NFL-style passing game there at Pitt. There aren’t the constant screen passes and shallow crossers that you get in so many of these college offenses — he’s dropping back and letting it rip down the field, and it seems like they’re running some pretty legit route combinations. So where lots of these other guys get a lot of their numbers on these schemed-up plays with athletes in space, a lot of his production is coming on serious Sunday throws. 

I also like that (I think) he satisfies the Parcells criteria. It’s no longer necessary to have a Parcells criteria QB, of course, but it’s still a pretty good marker of a high floor. Because of my fear about this franchise’s ability to develop a raw prospect into a star, I think there’s probably some value in taking a relatively safe prospect. 

The fear is that he’s just an older guy beating up on kids at this point, especially because he was never good before this season. But the same was true of Burrow, and I think he looks to be on the right track so far. His trajectory looks like Burrow, but his game actually reminds me of a poor man’s Herbert. He doesn’t seem to have the arm talent that you see with (the NFL version of) Herbert, in the sense that I think his arm is a tick weaker and he doesn’t have quite the ball placement. But in terms of the body type, movement skills, and sneaky athleticism, I see a lot of that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The more Kenny Pickett I watch, the more I kinda think he’s my guy at QB for this draft. 

The thing I like best is that they’re running an NFL-style passing game there at Pitt. There aren’t the constant screen passes and shallow crossers that you get in so many of these college offenses — he’s dropping back and letting it rip down the field, and it seems like they’re running some pretty legit route combinations. So where lots of these other guys get a lot of their numbers on these schemed-up plays with athletes in space, a lot of his production is coming on serious Sunday throws. 

I also like that (I think) he satisfies the Parcells criteria. It’s no longer necessary to have a Parcells criteria QB, of course, but it’s still a pretty good marker of a high floor. Because of my fear about this franchise’s ability to develop a raw prospect into a star, I think there’s probably some value in taking a relatively safe prospect. 

The fear is that he’s just an older guy beating up on kids at this point, especially because he was never good before this season. But the same was true of Burrow, and I think he looks to be on the right track so far. His trajectory looks like Burrow, but his game actually reminds me of a poor man’s Herbert. He doesn’t seem to have the arm talent that you see with (the NFL version of) Herbert, in the sense that I think his arm is a tick weaker and he doesn’t have quite the ball placement. But in terms of the body type, movement skills, and sneaky athleticism, I see a lot of that. 

But Pickett was looking good last season. Maybe not this level but as you said his game is there and he has the mental you love he’s a tough guy. He is a athlete and I remember last year posting how pocket really opened my eyes and then the next game he didn’t even start. He’s a gamer. I would like to know why he throws with a glove. As long as he can handle a NFL ball I’m not concerned. I’d love to have a guy from that school here because I’ve been digging their players the last 4 years. They are tough and that staff is doing a great job. I’m actually with you E I think this guy is a legit option. I think he’s actually a guy that the team would rally around but he has a arm to really elevate the offense. Not only that he’s be able to develop with a guy like Terry and that’s a really sweet saftey blanket.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But Pickett was looking good last season. Maybe not this level but as you said his game is there and he has the mental you love he’s a tough guy. He is a athlete and I remember last year posting how pocket really opened my eyes and then the next game he didn’t even start. He’s a gamer. I would like to know why he throws with a glove. As long as he can handle a NFL ball I’m not concerned. I’d love to have a guy from that school here because I’ve been digging their players the last 4 years. They are tough and that staff is doing a great job. I’m actually with you E I think this guy is a legit option. I think he’s actually a guy that the team would rally around but he has a arm to really elevate the offense. Not only that he’s be able to develop with a guy like Terry and that’s a really sweet saftey blanket.

I do think the glove is because of the small hands. They’re apparently very small — I read somewhere maybe 8 1/4. That would be red flag small hands, so I think that’s certainly a concern as well.

But he sure doesn’t seem to have a problem spinning it with that glove on 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Me too. I think I've stated before that I like QB prospects who have long(er) resumes than just a year or two. If he has three or four years and fits what we are trying to do and looks good and looks like he can translate into an NFL offense? Draft him!

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Me too. I think I've stated before that I like QB prospects who have long(er) resumes than just a year or two. If he has three or four years and fits what we are trying to do and looks good and looks like he can translate into an NFL offense? Draft him!

I mean we could have a worse QB room then Pickett and Taylor. I think they both have a tough mental makeup. But I worry about pocket in the rain if he is relying on a glove to compensate for hand size

• Like 1

I’m going to keep it real. If their guy isn’t there I want them to take the best player because this draft if we’re that high there’s some real talent. If they love someone then by all means take them. But if you could add Hamilton or if you get a top tier LT prospect then I’d run that card in. If they love one of these guys then great. I’m not in love with anyone. And I know y’all know my affinity but if Mond used the extra year eligibility with that A&M team were probably talking about him being the top guy the way he was progressing. I’m still looking forward to seeing him next preseason. But I am really excited to see Willis and Corral face off

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean we could have a worse QB room then Pickett and Taylor. I think they both have a tough mental makeup. But I worry about pocket in the rain if he is relying on a glove to compensate for hand size

Same here. But I would assume he's played games in the rain in H.S. and at Pitt, correct? I know it might be a lot to ask, but if you can look at rain games for him to see if he had issues, I'd appreciate it. Because I gotta think that at some point in HS or College this might have been a concern by a coach and he/they found a way to compensate for it (glove that isn't hindered in rain)

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

But I am really excited to see Willis and Corral face off

This is definitely the QB showdown of the year. 

At least among the 2022 guys. If Alabama and Oklahoma somehow end up playing in the CFP or something, I could definitely see Young vs. Williams turning out to be the marquee prospect matchup of the year — but Corral vs. Willis will have huge implications for this coming April. 

Of the two, at the moment, I think I prefer Willis. My heart tells me to dream on what he could be one day. My head, on the other hand, keeps saying there’s no way the Washington Football Team could ever pull something off with that degree of difficulty.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same here. But I would assume he's played games in the rain in H.S. and at Pitt, correct? I know it might be a lot to ask, but if you can look at rain games for him to see if he had issues, I'd appreciate it. Because I gotta think that at some point in HS or College this might have been a concern by a coach and he/they found a way to compensate for it (glove that isn't hindered in rain)

Trying to find more data, but I found a quote from Justin Fuente that indicated it was cold and raining for the 2019 Tech-Pitt game. Not a great data point for Pickett, because he was absolutely awful that day. One of the worst games of his Pitt career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Trying to find more data, but I found a quote from Justin Fuente that indicated it was cold and raining for the 2019 Tech-Pitt game. Not a great data point for Pickett, because he was absolutely awful that day. One of the worst games of his Pitt career.

Good catch. So more of that data would be useful if it could be cobbled together. Was that an outlier or one of a few (in which case, he might still be attractive)? Or is it one data point in a larger pattern of rain game problems for him (if so, then do we take him)?