2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

On 5/3/2021 at 11:09 PM, turtle28 said:

Howell reminds me Baker. Not quite as athletic. I’m kind of worried he won’t have the same year as he just had though bc he’s losing his top 2 RBs & his top WR.

I’m worried as well but that’s why I’m going to the VT game. Live eyes always help with poise and situational feel of the game and body composure and I wanted that early against VT. They are always well prepared so he has huge adjustments to make to his playmakers. For me if he lights it up against VT and looks good man he may have a chance to go to a level Baker couldn’t. But I love the comp for their game. If he has the Baker mental makeup I think he’s going to just fine this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m excited for the Ole Miss game this year. The other two games of his I’m going too he should look like madden easy mode. But we’re going to see him against the SEC team live so I’ll record to break him down when I get back but I want to see him live against their speed. But exactly when he’s on it’s amazing. I’m looking for him to clean some things up and hopefully Liberty puts alittle more on him as a passer this season so I can get a confident grade on this guy. I have a feeling this thread is going to be littered with Willis all year.

One of the fun things with him is, you really never know what you’re going to get from game to game (or even drive to drive). 

Last year, he starts out okay and then was absolutely awful against a terrible (0-10) Louisiana-Monroe team. Then the very next week, he starts on a 4 week stretch where he’s basically the best player in America, including two games against ACC opponents (Syracuse and VT). Then NC State smothers him big time — but he comes back in the bowl and is Superman in a win over the Coastal Carolina group that beat Zach Wilson. So who the hell ever knows what you’re going to get...but it’s pretty tough to stop watching!

• Like 2

Just now, e16bball said:

One of the fun things with him is, you really never know what you’re going to get from game to game (or even drive to drive). 

Last year, he starts out okay and then was absolutely awful against a terrible (0-10) Louisiana-Monroe team. Then the very next week, he starts on a 4 week stretch where he’s basically the best player in America, including two games against ACC opponents (Syracuse and VT). Then NC State smothers him big time — but he comes back in the bowl and is Superman in a win over the Coastal Carolina group that beat Zach Wilson. So who the hell ever knows what you’re going to get...but it’s pretty tough to stop watching!

It is. That’s why I’m hoping they can do things to allow him to key on his strengths to be a more consistent player. I know this doesn’t look like last years class with two playoff stalwarts going into the season but there’s plenty of talent. And who knows what the veteran landscape is going to look like. Desean and Rogers could both still be moving we just don’t know yet. I’d think there’s other teams who can outbid us but there’s a lot to look forward too with the potential of this upcoming class. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t imagine any scenario where we have a shot at Howell... 

All we have to do is be willing to trade a whole lot of draft capital and all the qbs are a possibility.  Howell won't even be first off the board.  He isn't prototypical size.  

Just now, offbyone said:

All we have to do is be willing to trade a whole lot of draft capital and all the qbs are a possibility.  Howell won't even be first off the board.  He isn't prototypical size.  

I don’t think prototypical size should ever be a determining factor. Plus nowadays prototypical size are probably 5% of the guys starting. People all want a 6’-5” guy with wheels cannon and Tom Brady’s mind. The truth is QB’s are literally the most diverse and theirs so many traits that even the perfect guy needs things you just can’t measure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

We aren’t though. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:26 PM, turtle28 said:

We should wait a year, unless we can trade up for Howell or Rattler, next years class is meh compared to this years class. This is why I argued for trading up for Fields this year bc next years class can’t touch him.

At some point this team needs a QB of the future.  We can't keep putting that off, or time is going to run out for Rivera.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, e16bball said:

My thought, now that they whiffed on the opportunity to move up and get Fields, is that their focus will probably have to be on these veteran QBs.

We know there are at least 3 elite NFL veterans who aren’t happy with their current team (Watson, Rodgers, Wilson), and there’s also Matt Ryan, who probably won’t be in ATL’s long-term plans, and Derek Carr, who has seemed on his way out of the Raiders for years. The number of suitors has certainly gone down, with 5 more prospective franchise QBs brought aboard in the draft. 

We aren’t anybody’s top choice, that much has become clear — but maybe with another good season and some more weapons on offense, these guys might give us some consideration at least. 

It's about time to go all-in with the draft pick capital.  The cap situation will soon become untenable to keep as many young guys on our defense, and having Watson in his prime would maximize a window.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:12 AM, Thaiphoon said:

I think you have it boxed in here. The 2022 class doesn't look as good right now. One reason I really wanted to get one this year. However, there are always guys who come up who no one thought could put it together and get drafted.

Personally, I don't like 1 year resumes at QB. I like to see at least 2 years under center in games in college (ideally 4). And right now, none of the QBs that are there are really grabbing my attention (but that could just be me). But yeah, I can see this F.O. going after veteran QBs and trading picks for them. A proven veteran commodity is better than a draftee crapshoot. So they'll have to trade for one after 2021 (or bring back Fitz - depending upon how well he does). Which (the trading part) I might be okay with as long as they aren't giving away first rounders.

Gonna be an interesting season for JT Daniels.  This is Smart's best shot at going for a natty, and things should be much better in Year 2 with Monken's offense.  I can see Daniels getting himself some play as far as rising stock goes.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Yeah so Baker went over Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen despite being shorter.  Flute, Brees & Russell Wilson put the stigma to bed that short QBs can’t succeed in the league. If you can play, you can play.

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's about time to go all-in with the draft pick capital.  The cap situation will soon become untenable to keep as many young guys on our defense, and having Watson in his prime would maximize a window.  

I think they need to, but I’m with Lavar, Rivera seems to have a conservative draft approach. I don’t see us trading up and definitely not up 10 spots. Maybe our QBs will be so bad this year that we’ll be picking in the top 10 but I doubt that happens w/ our D being so good.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I think they need to, but I’m with Lavar, Rivera seems to have a conservative draft approach. I don’t see us trading up and definitely not up 10 spots. Maybe our QBs will be so bad this year that we’ll be picking in the top 10 but I doubt that happens w/ our D being so good.

Look, I know everyone is hesitant to give up a deal for a young QB like RGIII again.  But that's not what I'm advocating.  We would be giving up the draft picks for a top 3-5 QB in the NFL, in the prime of his career.  To maximize our window, you've got to at least think long and hard about a trade like that.  

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Look, I know everyone is hesitant to give up a deal for a young QB like RGIII again.  But that's not what I'm advocating.  We would be giving up the draft picks for a top 3-5 QB in the NFL, in the prime of his career.  To maximize our window, you've got to at least think long and hard about a trade like that.  

I don’t think it’s about being hesitant. It’s about identifying your guy that fits perfectly to what you do. Lance does that in San Fran. Mahomes does that in KC. I think we will identify and find our guy. But making sure the roster is ready to grow that guy is a smart strategy. I think Rattler actually has a ton of potential. He has wheels and a cannon. I could see him being that type of guy they say okay let’s move up for him. I could see Willis if he can improve consistency and elevate this team this year. I don’t think this is just about Ron. I think Ron wants there to be a clear cut guy from Turner Mayhew he and Hurney

16 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think it’s about being hesitant. It’s about identifying your guy that fits perfectly to what you do. Lance does that in San Fran. Mahomes does that in KC. I think we will identify and find our guy. But making sure the roster is ready to grow that guy is a smart strategy. I think Rattler actually has a ton of potential. He has wheels and a cannon. I could see him being that type of guy they say okay let’s move up for him. I could see Willis if he can improve consistency and elevate this team this year. I don’t think this is just about Ron. I think Ron wants there to be a clear cut guy from Turner Mayhew he and Hurney

It's hard to do that again with an unknown quantity, but I am all behind doing it for a top 3-5 QB in their prime.  

• Like 1