2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We aren’t though. 

Well we have seen two sides of that coin.  On the one hand, WFT has clearly been a player in terms of trade offers for veteran qbs.  So it isn't like we aren't willing to spend some draft capital.  The question is how much.  

But on the other hand, the amount we rumored to have offered for say stafford, should have been enough to trade for Fields.  So either the staff didn't rate him that high or they value vets more.  Personally, I would prefer to spend it on a rookie.  I think you are on this train too.  But people can argue either side.  I just have a problem paying draft capital + big time cap space at the same time.

• Like 3

Just now, offbyone said:

Well we have seen two sides of that coin.  On the one hand, WFT has clearly been a player in terms of trade offers for veteran qbs.  So it isn't like we aren't willing to spend some draft capital.  The question is how much.  

But on the other hand, the amount we rumored to have offered for say stafford, should have been enough to trade for Fields.  So either the staff didn't rate him that high or they value vets more.  Personally, I would prefer to spend it on a rookie.  I think you are on this train too.  But people can argue either side.  [b]I just have a problem paying draft capital + big time cap space at the same time.[/b]

Usually I do as well, because it isn't smart asset management.  Cap space for a high-dollar player is an asset, just like a first round pick is.  I just think when you are talking an elite QB in their prime, that thinking has to go out the door somewhat.  Stafford wasn't that guy for me, and I am a Georgia fan.  Watson definitely fits the definition. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think prototypical size should ever be a determining factor. Plus nowadays prototypical size are probably 5% of the guys starting. People all want a 6’-5” guy with wheels cannon and Tom Brady’s mind. The truth is QB’s are literally the most diverse and theirs so many traits that even the perfect guy needs things you just can’t measure. 

I don't agree.  It shouldn't stop a guy from being drafted high, but if you have similarly rated players,  you are gonna take the bigger one.  Of course there are exceptions to this rule like Brees and Wilson and Murray, but I would prefer my qb to see over the oline.  People also would be more likely to ignore his size if he played for a bigger program in the SEC, but it will be a consideration.  Now maybe it won't matter because there is a laundry list of midget qbs coming out in next years draft.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Usually I do as well, because it isn't smart asset management.  Cap space for a high-dollar player is an asset, just like a first round pick is.  I just think when you are talking an elite QB in their prime, that thinking has to go out the door somewhat.  Stafford wasn't that guy for me, and I am a Georgia fan.  Watson definitely fits the definition. 

Agreed.  I would also have a hard time with the compensation they are talking about for Rodgers.  I am with you on Watson but it is rare there is an elite qb in their prime tradeable.  But Watson...well yeah.  But young ones do become available.  Darnold was an option for us.  I actually wonder if Jordan Love might be an option if Rodgers pushes him out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Look, I know everyone is hesitant to give up a deal for a young QB like RGIII again.  But that's not what I'm advocating.  We would be giving up the draft picks for a top 3-5 QB in the NFL, in the prime of his career.  To maximize our window, you've got to at least think long and hard about a trade like that.  

At this point, with the way they have approached the (re)build, this might be the better option. We're going to continue finishing middle of the pack and missing out on the blue chip guys at QB. And even then, they are all crapshoots. There's a premium to be paid to KNOW what you're getting in a QB like Watson.

One of the only problems I have with it (now), is that there is a cloud over his head (let's avoid talking specifics please) and that needs to be taken care of first. Because given the scandal that this organization went through, I don't think we bring in someone with a similar one hanging over him. 

Now...that being said. Assuming information comes out and he's cleared? The other problem is compensation. I don't know what he will go for, but I think I'd go as high as a player and 2 x firsts for him (or draft pick equivalent)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

At this point, with the way they have approached the (re)build, this might be the better option. We're going to continue finishing middle of the pack and missing out on the blue chip guys at QB. And even then, they are all crapshoots. There's a premium to be paid to KNOW what you're getting in a QB like Watson.

One of the only problems I have with it (now), is that there is a cloud over his head (let's avoid talking specifics please) and that needs to be taken care of first. Because given the scandal that this organization went through, I don't think we bring in someone with a similar one hanging over him. 

Now...that being said. Assuming information comes out and he's cleared? The other problem is compensation. I don't know what he will go for, but I think I'd go as high as a player and 2 x firsts for him (or draft pick equivalent)

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

And we can trade Houston Fitz because he was so awesome there that he locked down their QB job for the last 8 years... oh wait he didn’t? But he was a starter there for a few games in 2013, what happened? Ohhh that’s right! What always happens! Self implosion after having a few good games! Haha 😂 

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

And we can trade Houston Fitz because he was so awesome there that he locked down their QB job for the last 8 years... oh wait he didn’t? But he was a starter there for a few games in 2013, what happened? Ohhh that’s right! What always happens! Self implosion after having a few good games! Haha 😂 

Okay....weird flex but okay. Was thinking of after this year when Fitz is not on the roster. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't agree.  It shouldn't stop a guy from being drafted high, but if you have similarly rated players,  you are gonna take the bigger one.  Of course there are exceptions to this rule like Brees and Wilson and Murray, but I would prefer my qb to see over the oline.  People also would be more likely to ignore his size if he played for a bigger program in the SEC, but it will be a consideration.  Now maybe it won't matter because there is a laundry list of midget qbs coming out in next years draft.

I mean I think the thing about the game being so PA and zone read and bootleg oriented these guys size really is a by case basis. Each player is different. Of course you want a Justin Herbert. But there’s two or 3 of those guys league wide. And then there are plenty of guys with those traits that can’t his the broad side of a barn. Size was something when I was younger I used to get caught up in. But as a guy who was smaller when I players padded ball of course as a DB and WR it wasn’t super critical but that was always a knock. But I know me personally being small it was always something that drove me to quiet those who called me smaller.

But I understand what your saying it’s something you check and really have to apply to what you see from them on tape. But if you don’t see it as a problem on tape I guess as I’ve gotten older it’s just funny I loved all 3 of those guys. Kyler was my guy!!! I loved him and wanted him I just love how he protects himself from contact but also has that stand in the pocket to throw a ball at the last second trait. Russ was a guy I just wished we listened to the coaching staff on because I do believe Mike wanted Russ. And I wanted him to I believe we have a different history with that guy and those assets ivested in RG to work with. But that’s not here nor there

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean I think the thing about the game being so PA and zone read and bootleg oriented these guys size really is a by case basis. Each player is different. Of course you want a Justin Herbert. But there’s two or 3 of those guys league wide. And then there are plenty of guys with those traits that can’t his the broad side of a barn. Size was something when I was younger I used to get caught up in. But as a guy who was smaller when I players padded ball of course as a DB and WR it wasn’t super critical but that was always a knock. But I know me personally being small it was always something that drove me to quiet those who called me smaller.

But I understand what your saying it’s something you check and really have to apply to what you see from them on tape. But if you don’t see it as a problem on tape I guess as I’ve gotten older it’s just funny I loved all 3 of those guys. Kyler was my guy!!! I loved him and wanted him I just love how he protects himself from contact but also has that stand in the pocket to throw a ball at the last second trait. Russ was a guy I just wished we listened to the coaching staff on because I do believe Mike wanted Russ. And I wanted him to I believe we have a different history with that guy and those assets ivested in RG to work with. But that’s not here nor there

Herbert is on the other extreme side of the coin.  Really we should take him and Murray out of the conversation.  When looking at the shorter qbs, for me, real outlier is Drew Brees.  I say that because most of these short qbs make it work because they are super mobile.  Brees is not.  Howell is also not very mobile.  But I am with you, it isn't like Howell is tiny.  I think he will measure 6' flat. 

However, I don't think Howell is mobile enough for what Rivera is looking for.  Hey our boy Heinicke is in the short qb category so Rivera has shown that he is open minded when it comes to height.  Of course if you look at who he drafted: Newton and Allen, they are in the prototypical size range.

26 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Pretty presumptuous. 

I like the tone of the article. It was what I was saying earlier. There are always players who we aren't looking at who have great seasons and make the jump in their development. I'll be watching the QBs this season more intently.

• Like 2

Build the team and insert that QB! 
I think RR feels like this defense with the additions can win them atleast 2 games. He knows Heinicke/Allen are not ready yet but to see what he’ll do in Preseason which will  determine how they will approach next draft.Throw in Fitz who I think can run this offense and play well. I guess Heinicke and Allen will battle it out for backup and most likely their future with this team. I don’t know where this leaves S. Montez but I guess he’ll be in the mix with a chance to make it. Going to be an interesting/exciting year to see how great this defense can get, all the weapons we have and playing a very TOUGH schedule. 

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Build the team and insert that QB! 
I think RR feels like this defense with the additions can win them atleast 2 games. He knows Heinicke/Allen are not ready yet but to see what he’ll do in Preseason which will  determine how they will approach next draft.Throw in Fitz who I think can run this offense and play well. I guess Heinicke and Allen will battle it out for backup and most likely their future with this team. I don’t know where this leaves S. Montez but I guess he’ll be in the mix with a chance to make it. Going to be an interesting/exciting year to see how great this defense can get, all the weapons we have and playing a very TOUGH schedule. 

I think Montez is going to be a practice squad player again. They obviously didn’t think he was ready as they signed Heinicke instead of rolling with Montez last December when Haskins COVID partied himself off the team.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve been doing my breakdown on Malik Willis and this guy is Mike Vick exciting. But we really need to see him work on his footwork and keeping his feet in a throw ready position. And see him really hone his skills on making the right throws. He has a cannon. But in the NFL you have to throw with touch and anticipation. I’m excited to see Liberty this year. And break this guys game down. I hope the coaches at Liberty really work with him and I hope he really refines the technique it takes to make the plays pocket QB’s do with regularity. 

I saw McShay’s way too early 2022 mock, and it had Kedon Slovis as the #2 pick and 1st QB off the board. 

I believe that will be a genuinely embarrassing take when the draft rolls around next year. USC is getting in some more ridiculous WR talent to replace what they’ve lost the last couple years (Pittman, St. Brown, Vaughns), and they still have Drake London, so that will keep Slovis propped up a little — but honestly, last season he reminded me of a more mobile, less accurate Kyle Trask. This guy doesn’t have the good NFL arm, he doesn’t have the good NFL legs, and he doesn’t have the good NFL accuracy, so I’m not sure what McShay could be seeing in him as his top QB going into the season. 

At the moment, he’s in the class of QB I legitimately wouldn’t even waste a pick on because the ceiling is just too low. 

• Like 1