2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

That Hokies defense is legit. Their saftey 17 is the truth!!! The UNC OL good lord I wasn’t expecting that after the tape they had last season. But VT is known for just unranking teams and that’s why I chose this game. I think what I saw from Howell is what I’ve always felt. He’s more on the Baker end where if you have a ton of talent around he can lead the charge. But he’s not exactly elevating and he was playing most the game in his head. He was trying to think a lot and just missing plays. He can turn his year around it’s a game but it’s what I was kinda expecting with the losses on offense. Very few QB’s will overcome those losses and not miss a step. And those guys that can overcome that are consensus #1 picks. I’m very excited to see this team next week and how they respond to what VT did because they made a statement!!!
That defense though oh my!!! So glad I got these guys locked in. I’m very excited to go back and compare notes on the guys that I have from last year to this year. I think VT may be right there with Georgia and Bama as far as the talent level overall on defense.

• Like 1

After Week One, I think it kinda looks like I expected: a lot of guys to think about, but not one of them really emerging as a surefire top pick. 

Rattler seemed to be okay, but two picks against Tulane is concerning. The biggest knock on him for me is inconsistent decision-making, and that doesn’t help you feel more comfortable about it. Even the long TD was a (free play) jump ball where Mims made an exceptional play. He’s still probably QB1 for me, despite that, but he probably would have been my QB5 in the past draft. 

Behind him, it’s a real jumble. I had Howell and Rattler pretty much neck and neck, but tough to keep a guy at the top of the heap after an opening week performance like that. I fully understand that circumstances were not great for Howell out there, but when you’re talking about a top 5-10 pick, I think you can’t afford to have too many games like that on your resume.

Behind those two, for me, it’s Carson Strong and Malik Willis. Basically totally different players, not entirely unlike the Trey Lance/Mac Jones tier in the most recent draft. Will be watching both of them — I think if I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Carson Strong being a Redwolf next season.

Other than them...yikes, I just don’t want much to do with any of these guys.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

After Week One, I think it kinda looks like I expected: a lot of guys to think about, but not one of them really emerging as a surefire top pick. 

Rattler seemed to be okay, but two picks against Tulane is concerning. The biggest knock on him for me is inconsistent decision-making, and that doesn’t help you feel more comfortable about it. Even the long TD was a (free play) jump ball where Mims made an exceptional play. He’s still probably QB1 for me, despite that, but he probably would have been my QB5 in the past draft. 

Behind him, it’s a real jumble. I had Howell and Rattler pretty much neck and neck, but tough to keep a guy at the top of the heap after an opening week performance like that. I fully understand that circumstances were not great for Howell out there, but when you’re talking about a top 5-10 pick, I think you can’t afford to have too many games like that on your resume.

Behind those two, for me, it’s Carson Strong and Malik Willis. Basically totally different players, not entirely unlike the Trey Lance/Mac Jones tier in the most recent draft. Will be watching both of them — I think if I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Carson Strong being a Redwolf next season.

Other than them...yikes, I just don’t want much to do with any of these guys.

Long way to go throughout the season, but I’m with you in that this QB class isn’t going to live up to anyone’s expectations - unlike last years class - I hope I’m wrong, but I still think we’re going to regret not trading up for Fields or Jones in this past draft.

I like you’re prediction of Carson Strong to the Redwolves.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Carson Strong is a bad mofo. I like him and Howell for us. I don’t see Willis or Rattler being anywhere close to where we pick. 

I actually wouldn’t be shocked if Howell fell in the draft and we’re able to take him in the teens either with our natural pick or by trading up 5 spots or so.

Howell being reunited with Dyami would be cool! 😎 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, turtle28 said:

He went to the same school as Trubisky, so he’s not going to be a good pro anyways! UNC has never produced a great pro QB that I know of.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/college_pos/n

North Carolina

Position Year Round Pick Player Name Team
QB 2017 1 2 2 Mitchell Trubisky Bears
  2011 5 21 152 T.J. Yates Texans
  2002 7 24 235 Ronald Curry Raiders
  1975 15 19 383 Chris Kupec Bills
  1968 15 23 404 Jeff Beaver Colts
  1967 17 13 432 Dan Talbott 49ers
  1960 4 9 45 Jack Cummings Eagles

So, no, UNC has not produce a great pro QB. Only QB other than Trubisky to have any meaningful passing stats (per pro-football-reference.com) is TJ Yates. Ronald Curry (*spits on ground*) was a returner/receiver.

It's possible there was some UDFA UNC QB, but I'm not about to try to find that out.

15 hours ago, Woz said:

North Carolina

So, no, UNC has not produce a great pro QB. Only QB other than Trubisky to have any meaningful passing stats (per pro-football-reference.com) is TJ Yates. Ronald Curry (*spits on ground*) was a returner/receiver.

It's possible there was some UDFA UNC QB, but I'm not about to try to find that out.

Well they weren’t really getting highly ranked recruits before Brown got there. I think Curry was pretty highly ranked but not much besides him. And Trubisky has a lot of talent. I wonder how he’ll do in a good environment away from the Bears awful coaching staff? 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well they weren’t really getting highly ranked recruits before Brown got there.

*raises an eyebrow* while I cannot contest this as I don't know of an open source that could reveal recruiting class rankings for the 70s and 80s, but Bill Dooley and **** Crum would like a word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_seasons

Note the number of ACC championships each coach had.

I think Curry was pretty highly ranked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Curry

Ronald Curry broke several Virginia high school football records while attending Hampton High School. He is considered one of the greatest Virginia high school athletes ever, leading his school to three consecutive state titles in football from 1995 to 1997 and one in basketball in 1998. The 1996 Hampton High School football team went 14–0, outscoring opponents 768–83 including a 51–0 victory over a previously unbeaten Patrick Henry team in the state championship, and is widely considered to be the best team in Virginia history; the 1997 team also went 14–0 and posted similar numbers. Curry also excelled at defensive back and kick returner in addition to his quarterbacking duties. Michael Vick was in the same district as Curry in high school and was overshadowed by the accomplishments of Curry's team. While Vick was also a highly touted prospect, Curry was almost universally rated higher in recruiting rankings. In an interview, Vick said "I felt pressure to compete against Ronald Curry." One college football recruiting analyst says Curry was the best offensive prospect he saw in 23 years.[2]

... "pretty highly ranked" ... oy vey ...

2 hours ago, Woz said:

*raises an eyebrow* while I cannot contest this as I don't know of an open source that could reveal recruiting class rankings for the 70s and 80s, but Bill Dooley and **** Crum would like a word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_football_seasons

Note the number of ACC championships each coach had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Curry

... "pretty highly ranked" ... oy vey ...

You’re really giving me crap because I said “pretty highly ranked”? Lol. I chose not to google it. That was simply based off of memory. I was also like 12 or 13 years old when curry played for UNC. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

You’re really giving me crap because I said “pretty highly ranked”? Lol. I chose not to google it. That was simply based off of memory. I was also like 12 or 13 years old when curry played for UNC

*spits on ground*

Hey man, if it makes you feel better when I was a kid I loved the Aaron Brooks, Thomas Jones, Anthony Poindexter led Wahoos. Poindexter is still one of my all-time favorite college players. 

Had nothing to do with you. Was all for Ronald Curry.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Woz said:

North Carolina

Just to be clear I was being sarcastic bc so many people kept saying that about Justin Fields last year.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Just to be clear I was being sarcastic bc so many people kept saying that about Justin Fields last year.

Well ...

Ohio State

QB 2021 1 11 11 Justin Fields Bears
  2019 1 15 15 Dwayne Haskins Redskins
  2016 4 41 139 Cardale Jones Bills
  2011s 3 0 0 Terrelle Pryor Raiders
  2007 5 37 174 Troy Smith Ravens
  2004 5 16 148 Craig Krenzel Bears
  2002 6 33 205 Steve Bellisari Rams
  1999 4 6 101 Joe Germaine Rams
  1996 3 24 85 Bobby Hoying Eagles
  1992 8 15 211 Kent Graham Giants
  1988 3 13 68 Tom Tupa Cardinals
  1987 12 15 322 Jim Karsatos Dolphins
  1982 1 4 4 Art Schlichter Colts
  1976 11 27 318 Cornelius Greene Cowboys
  1974 8 21 203 Greg Hare Bills
  1971 10 26 260 Rex Kern Colts
  1971 15 12 376 Ron Maciejowski Bears
  1959 23 11 275 Frank Kremblas Giants
  1955 13 12 157 Johnny Borton Browns
  1943 6 5 45 Les Horvath Rams
  1. It's not like there's any sort of track record for the Buckeyes either. Arguably the best QB they've sent was Kent Graham.
  2. I did not know that Tom Tupa was both a QB and a punter.