2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sadly, I think the bolded is more a statement on the deeply mediocre quality of those guys as prospects than it is a statement on Strong/Ridder being genuine franchise QB prospects. 

I think that’s why the best value for the team moving forward is getting the best player that falls out of the top 10 and making your second round pick be your value getting a guy that you like not love but are willing to work with this season behind the scenes. And if we play ourselves into a better spot with better QB prospects you can have the freedom then to choose your direction.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m fine with bringing in a vet. I’m not find with bringing in a vet to be a multi year starter and drafting some middling prospect. So sure, if they want Garrapolo and can get him cheap I’ll suffer through a year of him starting before we put Willis/Howell/Pickett/Corral out there. I think repeatedly passing on draft prospects to find the perfect one is a fool’s errand. 

They aren’t going to get someone like Garrapolo and take a 1st round QB.  It’ll be either/or, they have Heinicke for our backup.

• Like 1

I think if I was picking for this team I’d be thinking long and hard about Burke’s the Arkansas WR. He is just a big weapon he just reminds me of Brandon Marshal in Denver and Chicago just mushing guys. It be another big physical weapon to pair with Terry and Gibson and Thomas and Samuel and Duece. I’d get Burkes and I’d pick the QB I like that falls to me and I improve the dynamic on how we can attack teams on offense and not just have 2 guys. I think that really gives whatever QB you go with options to develop and grow. We need top level players and I think my grade on Burkes is probably a lot higher then most are grading him currently. I think he’s the most versatile offensive weapon  in the class.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

They aren’t going to get someone like Garrapolo and take a 1st round QB.  It’ll be either/or, they have Heinicke for our backup.

This staff can’t afford to bring in another serviceable vet. It was Luke warm accepted because we had a splash playoff game. I can’t see them going that route this offseason. That will warm the seat even more.

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

This staff can’t afford to bring in another serviceable vet. It was Luke warm accepted because we had a splash playoff game. I can’t see them going that route this offseason. That will warm the seat even more.

I don’t think Rivera’s seat is even remotely warm. Dan wasn’t even around the team this year. I don’t think anything that happened this year influenced anything.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sadly, I think the bolded is more a statement on the deeply mediocre quality of those guys as prospects than it is a statement on Strong/Ridder being genuine franchise QB prospects. 

I 100% agree with that. I think it just needs to be kept in perspective if for some reason we don’t take a QB round 1 & do in round 2 that we’re getting the same type of prospect.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think Rivera’s seat is even remotely warm. Dan wasn’t even around the team this year. I don’t think anything that happened this year influenced anything.

I don’t think it is but that would almost be like The McNabb trade. I don’t think Ron’s seat is hot either. Snyder couldn’t even get a interview if he dropped Ron lol. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dan is never around the team. He’s barely ever at WFT HQ. There was little oversight during the Cerrato/Brice Allen eras at WFT HQ.

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think it is but that would almost be like The McNabb trade. I don’t think Ron’s seat is hot either. Snyder couldn’t even get a interview if he dropped Ron lol. 

Not so sure about that. There’s only 32 HC jobs in the NFL. A lot of people never thought Rivera would come here or Schottenheimer in 01. When Snyder forced out Shanahan a lot through no one would want to be the HC here but we got Gruden who was one of the hottest coordinators in the league at the time. 

Money talks, BS walks.

13 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think if I was picking for this team I’d be thinking long and hard about Burke’s the Arkansas WR. He is just a big weapon he just reminds me of Brandon Marshal in Denver and Chicago just mushing guys. It be another big physical weapon to pair with Terry and Gibson and Thomas and Samuel and Duece. I’d get Burkes and I’d pick the QB I like that falls to me and I improve the dynamic on how we can attack teams on offense and not just have 2 guys. I think that really gives whatever QB you go with options to develop and grow. We need top level players and I think my grade on Burkes is probably a lot higher then most are grading him currently. I think he’s the most versatile offensive weapon  in the class.

I’d take Hamilton if he’s there or I’d take Lloyd or Nakobe Dean before I took a WR. 

I think any of those 3 defensive players start week 1. A WR wouldn’t start bc we have Terry & Samuel as our starters although the WR would play a lot bc we go 3 wide so much.

My early prediction is that our starting QB next year is Baker Mayfield.  I’m not saying I’d do that but that’s my prediction.  I think Kirk Cousins has played his last down for the Vikings and will go to Cleveland. They need someone slightly better than Mayfield to be competitive.  We will trade our 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Mayfield. Dan will sign off on the trade cause Mayfield is a minor celebrity in commercials. 

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think it’d be very foolish to not both sign or trade for a vet and then also draft a QB in rnd 1 or 2 to develop behind them.

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think that’s why the best value for the team moving forward is getting the best player that falls out of the top 10 and making your second round pick be your value getting a guy that you like not love but are willing to work with this season behind the scenes. And if we play ourselves into a better spot with better QB prospects you can have the freedom then to choose your direction.

I get it, from a value standpoint. I don’t see a huge difference between any of these guys either. From the perspective of maximizing value, it makes sense to try to get one of them (perhaps only a slightly lesser prospect ) further down the board. 

But my position is and has been that if you don’t love a QB at least enough to jump on him at 11 — and to really consider trading up for him — just don’t take him. At least not until Day 3, or maybe very late round 3, when you can basically take a cheap flyer on a guy to “develop.”

We’re talking about trying to find a guy who could genuinely be the most important player in the last 70ish years of this franchise. If we landed a Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Herbert, Burrow type player, that’s exactly what they’d be. The most important player we’ve had since Sammy. 

If your thoughts on a guy are “wellll…we like him. We want to make sure we get this linebacker or receiver first, and if he’s still on the board later, we’ll go for it” — then he’s probably not the guy™️.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

My early prediction is that our starting QB next year is Baker Mayfield.  I’m not saying I’d do that but that’s my prediction.  I think Kirk Cousins has played his last down for the Vikings and will go to Cleveland. They need someone slightly better than Mayfield to be competitive.  We will trade our 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Mayfield. Dan will sign off on the trade cause Mayfield is a minor celebrity in commercials. 

This brings up a question that I’ve been wondering about in the back of my head. Derek Carr is obviously the main second-tier QB that we talk about on the trade market — but there is that guy who wears #8 for Minnesota who is probably a similar caliber player to Carr and is potentially going to end up being dangled in trade. 

Everyone knows how I’d feel about that (spoiler: I’d hate it more than I hated trading for McNabb, the mere idea of “Kirk and the Commanders” is basically my waking nightmare at this point), but many Washington fans don’t feel the same way I do about him. I’m wondering if others would be open to a reunion — and if we think Kirk would be, now that Bruce is slain and a good God-fearing man is running the organization. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I get it, from a value standpoint. I don’t see a huge difference between any of these guys either. From the perspective of maximizing value, it makes sense to try to get one of them (perhaps only a slightly lesser prospect ) further down the board. 

But my position is and has been that if you don’t love a QB at least enough to jump on him at 11 — and to really consider trading up for him — just don’t take him. At least not until Day 3, or maybe very late round 3, when you can basically take a cheap flyer on a guy to “develop.”

We’re talking about trying to find a guy who could genuinely be the most important player in the last 70ish years of this franchise. If we landed a Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Herbert, Burrow type player, that’s exactly what they’d be. The most important player we’ve had since Sammy. 

If your thoughts on a guy are “wellll…we like him. We want to make sure we get this linebacker or receiver first, and if he’s still on the board later, we’ll go for it” — then he’s probably not the guy™️.

And that’s very possible that guy wouldn’t be. But sometimes a guy can come in and surprise you. So it’s cool to put 2$ in and atleast scratch a ticket that you liked in a class you didn’t love. Because next year given the situation our QB’s have been in history these guys could play you into a chance at Bryce Young. Maybe the guy just takes it over. 
I personally don’t love any of them. But from a prospect value standpoint in the second I’m okay with maybe getting lucky probably still in the market next year. But that allowed me to get a true BPA in round one we really need to hit this year and basically taking a stab with a guys upside and hoping to catch lightning with lower end expectations.