Sam Darnold [QB, USC]

Forge

6 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Watched every snap of Darnold this year and as a USC fan I say this without bias and regard for our team next year but he SHOULD come back for another year. He's not ready for the NFL yet, physically he is but he is too inconsistent with his mechanics, footwork, and decision making. If an NFL team picks him high they will have way too much pressure from the outside to start him right away and while I think he would figure it out, it's gonna take a while.

Honestly, how many QB prospects coming out of college are pro-ready?  Since Andrew Luck in 2012, I don't think I've evaluated a QB prospects and felt he was pro-ready as a prospects.  All of them had a LOT of the nuances to get out of the way.  That doesn't mean they didn't display starting NFL QB-caliber traits, just that in terms of being ready to take meaningful snaps that they still had significant faults to work through.  At this point, getting him into an NFL system and learning the mechanics of footwork, etc. is the best route for him to go through.

When you go from watching mainly watching Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph and some FCS guys to taking a look at Sam Darnold, even in arguably one of his worst games at Notre Dame, it's a very different world.

Overall, the concerns with Darnold are getting overblown. The only INT Darnold threw he forced it a bit but it wasn't even a terrible read or decision, specifically given the score. It was a Cover 2 look and the ND defense had great synergy; LB did a really nice job of recognizing nobody was coming into his zone so he picked up the RB going to the flat allowing the corner to fall back and nab the pass. Darnold still played rather composed all night and made a lot of NFL throws. He consistently will fire it effortlessly to the opposite side of the field. Additionally, that USC team was overhyped coming into the year. The O-Line is subpar, Ronald Jones is good but not great, and he has a couple okay weapons but ultimately, Burnett doesn't have a high ceiling and the other targets are young or not overly impressive.

I think Darnold is truly getting the most out of this grouping given the fact they rank top 35 in scoring offense and passing offense. Darnold has to clean some things up, but this guy still clearly belongs in the top 5.

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

When you go from watching mainly watching Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph and some FCS guys to taking a look at Sam Darnold, even in arguably one of his worst games at Notre Dame, it's a very different world.

Overall, the concerns with Darnold are getting overblown. The only INT Darnold threw he forced it a bit but it wasn't even a terrible read or decision, specifically given the score. It was a Cover 2 look and the ND defense had great synergy; LB did a really nice job of recognizing nobody was coming into his zone so he picked up the RB going to the flat allowing the corner to fall back and nab the pass. Darnold still played rather composed all night and made a lot of NFL throws. He consistently will fire it effortlessly to the opposite side of the field. Additionally, that USC team was overhyped coming into the year. The O-Line is subpar, Ronald Jones is good but not great, and he has a couple okay weapons but ultimately, Burnett doesn't have a high ceiling and the other targets are young or not overly impressive.

I think Darnold is truly getting the most out of this grouping given the fact they rank top 35 in scoring offense and passing offense. Darnold has to clean some things up, but this guy still clearly belongs in the top 5.

Jones is probably closer to great than good but overall I agree with you. Losing Stephen Carr really hurt. Instead he's leaning on Burnett (good but not great), Tyler Vaughns (freshman) and Steven Mitchell when he's healthy behind a shaky and beat up line.

I'm not a guy who judges prospects on staying or going. Its not really my business. I don't know these players. I don't have the same values or view of life. On one hand I hope Darnold leaves because it boosts the draft because of his talent and potential. On the other hand he's a USC guy, comes from a great family, gets tons of support and NFL coaching from his program. If he does come out you don't know what situation he'll be thrust into. A Browns situation on a terrible team where he plays early and deals with a top-down mess. A Rams/Bears situation where they bring him along during the year. A Chiefs situation where he can sit back behind a veteran. Bottom line, if Sam Darnold is a great QB I believe he will eventually succeed in any situation. I don't believe greatness gets broken. I think Darnold has a unique personality at his position that is needed to be successful. I think he pushes the needle. I think he has all the pieces in front of him and the ability to put them together. He struck gold last year with his supporting cast coupled with the element of surprise. He dealt with all the attention. Now he's dealing with the opposition having time to dissect him and a much different supporting cast - which combined has been a perfect storm for people to knock him down. He's on a huge stage and deserves criticism for the mistakes hes made. I think we have to put it in perspective. He's played in 2/3 seasons and didn't play much before college. A lot of the other prospects at his position bloomed earlier and have played three seasons in college. I've got Darnold on a longer leash not because I like him but because I think the circumstances warrant it. We can agree or disagree on his combination of skills working in the NFL. I think he's a great QB prospect. I thought he would perform better this year but I also expected lapses and criticism. I would take him over the other players at his position if he declares.  

4 hours ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Would be wise to stay in school. Coming out as the 1st overall pick isn't sustainable if you're underprepared and will underperform.

He will not be the first pick.  Saquon Barkley should be #1.  Only the Browns would pass on him </jk>

I'm on the fence. I can totally understand him coming out. Helton (imo) is a terrible head coach. Not Mark Helfrich bad, but pretty bad nonetheless. On the other hand, Darnold isn't ready for the pressure of starting in the NFL. He has the tools to get there, but at this point, it would be more beneficial to stay in school. If he was guaranteed to wind up in a position like Mahomes (high 1st rounder getting to sit and watch), then sure, declare. But that doesn't seem to happen very often. That being said, I usually go against the guys that people hype the heck out of (Griffin, Newton, Manziel, and Bridgewater being some of the recent ones). They tend to be made out to be so much more than they really are, or have other issues I'm wary of. I though Griffin was way overblown. Newton, he's been pretty good but there are still times he isn't the "SuperCam" some people talked him up to be. Manziel was a headcase, which was my stance the entire time. Ironically, a friend asked me what I thought of Bridgewater and my response was that he was a terrible leg injury waiting to happen (and I felt really bad about that afterwards, needless to say). Now, most of those things have little to do with tools to succeed, just my own superstitions. But I really think Darnold has both been unfairly scrutinized and yet unjustifiably overblown. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Imagine being the one QB to fix the Browns though and lead them to the playoffs. You'd have the keys to the city, and as much....as you wanted. Millions would consider you a hero.

I change my opinion and think he comes out. :ph34r:

The QB that gets them to 8-8 will have the keys to the city.:D

17 hours ago, jebrick said:

He will not be the first pick.  Saquon Barkley should be #1.  Only the Browns would pass on him </jk>

RB is a pretty value-less position at the top of the draft despite some prominent players going early on in recent memory. Coming from a PSU fan, even Saquon - in all his 3-down glory - isn't worthy of top selection because running backs aren't as influential as other areas. Position is predicated on other positions, I.e. OL/WR for blocking, QB to alleviate box pressure, etc.

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Imagine being the one QB to fix the Browns though and lead them to the playoffs. You'd have the keys to the city, and as much....as you wanted. Millions would consider you a hero.

I change my opinion and think he comes out. :ph34r:

You'd think that would be one of the more attractive options for a mega prospect who believed in his ability to succeed no matter what. Turning around the absolute worst team to a champion is the ultimate for legacy. It doesn't get better than that.

If I believed I would be great regardless, I'd rather play for the Browns and be an all-time legend for Cleveland than play for the Pats... imagine that. Fantastic situation and coaching no doubt, maybe you'll even win one or two. But you're never going to be Tom Brady.

I do understand that sometimes an historically bad organisation can severely damage a good prospects career. But I have to admit, I believe the true greats succeed no matter what. I'd be hugely disappointed in Darnold skipping the draft solely because it's the Browns. And not because I'm a Browns fan that loves Darnold. It just doesn't sit well with me, competitively. A true leader wouldn't shirk the toughest of tasks in hopes of a more favourable situation down the line.

Not to mention we will surely pick #1 again next year if we don't get him. There is no escaping us!!!

18 hours ago, jebrick said:

I really don't think Barkley is going #1 even though I think he's absolutely worthy.

Archived