2022 Draft Talk

swede700

40 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I wouldn't hate Treylon Burks in round 1, to be honest. He reminds me a lot of AJ Brown and would bring a different body type and size at the position that the Vikings don't currently have.

Not fair to Burks, but I can see a Deebo type of role/upside for him. He can be used out of the backfield like Deebo.

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Not fair to Burks, but I can see a Deebo type of role/upside for him. He can be used out of the backfield like Deebo.

I think a guy like Osborn or ISM is better suited for that kind of role. Burks' biggest strength is being bigger and stronger and winning at the catch point. He's going to win jump balls and make big catches over the middle, IMO.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think a guy like Osborn or ISM is better suited for that kind of role. Burks' biggest strength is being bigger and stronger and winning at the catch point. He's going to win jump balls and make big catches over the middle, IMO.

Ark already uses him out of the backfield, with end arounds and WR screens. He's so big and fast, he's just hard to tackle; a lot like Deebo in that aspects and he has experience doing it. Burks like AJB and Deebo both do thier damage on in cutting routes as well.

I'm a burks fan, wouldn't hate it too. I didn't mention 1st rounds wrs in my initial post because the depth is there this year and I can't imagine the Vikings not going defense if it's a non qb first round pick.

Edited by battle2heaven

8 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

With K/O coming over with probably a version of the Rams offense, 3 wide sets will probably be the norm. I think right now, the Vikings WR room is...not bad. JJ, AT, Osborn, ISM is ok. I think when you factor in AT's injury history and his age, it becomes more of a concern. I imagine they will draft a WR this year, maybe even a day 2 pick! Fortunately, this is a nice WR draft class with depth through the middle rounds. Some of my favorite day potential day 2 picks:

David Bell

Christian Watson

George PIckens

Wan"Dale Robinson

Khalil Shakur

Jalen Tolbert

I think Theilen might play 2-3 more years and retire.  He is one I could easily see restructuring to finish his career as a Viking.

1 hour ago, Taylor0026 said:

We were 2nd in sacks as a team in 2021  so perhaps the need for another DE is not the huge need in  the 2022 draft.  We took 2 DE's in last years draft as well.  

Don’t let bulk stats deceive you.

Yes, the Vikings had the 2nd most sacks, but they ranked 30th in pass rush win rate. They ranked 28th in pass attempts against. Meaning that the high sack numbers were simply due to teams passing a lot against the Vikings. Teams were never afraid to pass against them. 

Also, adding a defensive end isn’t just about rushing the passer. It’s also about stopping the run. The Vikings had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year (and the year before) and a primary reason for that is because the defensive ends on the team could not set or contain the edge. Outside running was easy yards for opposing teams. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:55 PM, RpMc said:

That OL is solid?  In what world is that true?  Udoh got absolutely killed at times as a guard and gave up multiple sacks in a few games and had multiple penalties in games more than once as well.  To say that is not a huge problem, well it is, not to mention Darrisaw struggled a lot at times as a rookie, sure should be better next year but no saying he is some lock star at LT based off of year one.  Also Bradbury's contract is coming up and not totally sold on him as the center long term either.

Sure they did not give up a ton of sacks but most of that is Kirk getting rid of the football and not holding onto it, he got hit plenty.  

4 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I'd love him or DeAngelo Malone...Or Ojabo would be swell too.

Malone did look great in that Senior bowl and has been a highly productive edge rusher for awhile on Western Kentucky.  But where is this DE going to be taken, not sure that would be a good idea in the 1st round with possibly a CB sitting there, and 2nd round would be hard to pass on Brandon Smith one of if not the best OLB in the draft.  3rd round maybe but TE would be nice there.  

I would be fine with any of these guys it is just a matter of where are they selected and are they even around when the Vikings pick.  This 3/4 crap changes things obviously as well completely.  Hunter, Wonnum and Robinson can all play 3/4 OLB but still probably need a more typical 3/4 OLB in the draft.

David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH
Travon Walker Georgia JR
George Karlaftis Purdue JR
Jermaine Johnson Florida State
Boye Mafe Minnesota RS
Myjai Sanders Cincinnati
Arnold Ebiketie Penn State
Tyree Johnson Texas A&M RS
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS
Tyreke Smith Ohio State
Cameron Thomas SDSU RS JR
Drake Jackson USC JR
Isaiah Thomas Oklahoma RS
Kingsley Enagbare South Carolina

I guess with a 3/4 Brandon Smith might be out but could be an option, Myjai Sanders then could be the pick that 2nd round or better yet Travis Jones at NT and have Pierce and Tomlinson opposite him at DE, that could be a force but they also have Scott and Twyman and James Lynch so not sure they got NT when Tomlinson could do it potentially.  Tyree Johnson is an option also as a 3/4 OLB and could be around 3rd round maybe.  

52 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That OL is solid?  In what world is that true?  Udoh got absolutely killed at times as a guard and gave up multiple sacks in a few games and had multiple penalties in games more than once as well.  To say that is not a huge problem, well it is, not to mention Darrisaw struggled a lot at times as a rookie, sure should be better next year but no saying he is some lock star at LT based off of year one.  Also Bradbury's contract is coming up and not totally sold on him as the center long term either.

Sure they did not give up a ton of sacks but most of that is Kirk getting rid of the football and not holding onto it, he got hit plenty.  

Malone did look great in that Senior bowl and has been a highly productive edge rusher for awhile on Western Kentucky.  But where is this DE going to be taken, not sure that would be a good idea in the 1st round with possibly a CB sitting there, and 2nd round would be hard to pass on Brandon Smith one of if not the best OLB in the draft.  3rd round maybe but TE would be nice there.  

I would be fine with any of these guys it is just a matter of where are they selected and are they even around when the Vikings pick.  This 3/4 crap changes things obviously as well completely.  Hunter, Wonnum and Robinson can all play 3/4 OLB but still probably need a more typical 3/4 OLB in the draft.

David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH
Travon Walker Georgia JR
George Karlaftis Purdue JR
Jermaine Johnson Florida State
Boye Mafe Minnesota RS
Myjai Sanders Cincinnati
Arnold Ebiketie Penn State
Tyree Johnson Texas A&M RS
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS
Tyreke Smith Ohio State
Cameron Thomas SDSU RS JR
Drake Jackson USC JR
Isaiah Thomas Oklahoma RS
Kingsley Enagbare South Carolina

I guess with a 3/4 Brandon Smith might be out but could be an option, Myjai Sanders then could be the pick that 2nd round or better yet Travis Jones at NT and have Pierce and Tomlinson opposite him at DE, that could be a force but they also have Scott and Twyman and James Lynch so not sure they got NT when Tomlinson could do it potentially.  Tyree Johnson is an option also as a 3/4 OLB and could be around 3rd round maybe.  

How would you feel about Channing Tindall as a second ILB?  He was flying around in the CFB playoffs.

47 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

How would you feel about Channing Tindall as a second ILB?  He was flying around in the CFB playoffs.

I would think they would need a more physical 2nd ILB opposite Kendricks who I would guess is the more coverage type 3/4 ILB.  Damone Clark fits that bill but not sure they could get him.  Would not hate Leo Chenal because of his blitzing and pass rush ability, same with McFadden.  Quay Walker is more physical though and bigger, would rather have him than Tindall.

Tindall not sure what to think about, he has been pretty much nothing outside of this season and he was surrounded by great talent this year and sure played well but never saw that from him any of the other three years he was at Georgia.  

Chance Campbell could be a physical ILB same with Jack Sanborn.  Would not hate Ellis Brooks who had a great season and is tough inside, Terrel Bernard, Grant Morgan and Josh Ross are all more athletic types so will be curious how they go maybe they just look at pure speed and not a thumper type at ILB.

Not sure where Chazz Surratt would fit in, he could maybe be a speed rusher or coverage ILB but not sure he is a great fit for a 3/4 but who knows sure was good at getting after the QB in college.  Also not sure Danielle Hunter would love it, curious how he likes playing in a 3/4, same with DJ Wonnum and that switch they assume will be making.