2022 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I like this. All 3 of your first 3 picks scare me to death; but they all have upside.

The more I think about it, the more I think Walker may have been a better pick.  Just started watching Clark and he can really fly around and has a nice frame to add mass if you wanted.

Jermaine Johnson

I think he would be a fit in this new defense. Watching him at FL St, he lined up EVERYWHERE. He rushed with his hand in the dirt, standing up, 5 tech, 7 tech, brought him inside, twists, stunts, blitzes, they used him everywhere. He played like 85% of snaps too from what I saw. Didn't see too much 6 and 9, but can't see why he couldn't rush from there either.

some negatives:

- First step is iffy, but could be a proponent of so many snaps

-lack of counters in pass rush moves; could be taught.

The dude is LONG, he is super strong and his energy level is off the charts. I wouldn't mind him at #12.

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm also very intrigued by him.

I had no idea he went to Eden Prairie HS?!

So I think Ojabo has the most potential because his athleticism is nuts and it feels like he's just scratching the surface of what he can be; but his floor is scary low (just nothing against the run at the moment). 

And Karlaftis might not meet your athletic thresholds. So Johnson might just be the best of both worlds if you are deciding between these 3 edge players at 12.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

that is a really, really bad agent if he thinks putting his client together with an alleged sex offender is a good idea.

I could guarantee you if I searched hard enough I could find a picture of Adrian with a draftee when he was going through his troubles.  I don't think anyone needs to read anything more into it than necessary.  

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

So I think Ojabo has the most potential because his athleticism is nuts and it feels like he's just scratching the surface of what he can be; but his floor is scary low (just nothing against the run at the moment). 

And Karlaftis might not meet your athletic thresholds. So Johnson might just be the best of both worlds if you are deciding between these 3 edge players at 12.

At least how I see it I'd imagine Karlaftis would be a pure 5T.

Johnson could be a 5T or JOKER/OLB

Ojabo as a pure JOKER/OLB

I think JJ gives you the best of both worlds from a flexibility stand point as well.

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

At least how I see it I'd imagine Karlaftis would be a pure 5T.

Johnson could be a 5T or JOKER/OLB

Ojabo as a pure JOKER/OLB

I think JJ gives you the best of both worlds from a flexibility stand point as well.

I agree! That said, I will withold judgemnet on Karlaftis until I see testing numbers.

I also am a fan of the 2nd and 3rd round rush/edge prospects. I 100% think we need to come away in this draft with at least 1 in the top 3 rounds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I agree! That said, I will withold judgemnet on Karlaftis until I see testing numbers.

I also am a fan of the 2nd and 3rd round rush/edge prospects. I 100% think we need to come away in this draft with at least 1 in the top 3 rounds.

Boye Mafe would be great as a 3-4 OLB/DE. He has great reps from a 2-point stance and he’s quick. I hope we draft Gardner or Stingley in the first then go with Mafe in the 2nd. Addressing CB and DE in the first two rounds would be ideal. We have a hole at Center as well but I believe we’ll resign Mason Cole who was easily our best center since 2017. Out of all of our free agents I hope we re-sign Cole and Barr the most. Barr was also great in the games he played in last season. If we can bring him back on a team friendly deal, he’d be perfect on a 3-4 defense. 

18 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Boye Mafe would be great as a 3-4 OLB/DE. He has great reps from a 2-point stance and he’s quick. I hope we draft Gardner or Stingley in the first then go with Mafe in the 2nd. Addressing CB and DE in the first two rounds would be ideal. We have a hole at Center as well but I believe we’ll resign Mason Cole who was easily our best center since 2017. Out of all of our free agents I hope we re-sign Cole and Barr the most. Barr was also great in the games he played in last season. If we can bring him back on a team friendly deal, he’d be perfect on a 3-4 defense. 

That would be great no question, I have Mafe going to the Falcons ahead of us though in the 2nd round and unless Gardner runs poorly at the combine really doubt he drops to us either, same with Stingley.  Mafe could also go the Denver, the Jets, Giants, Texans even Browns or Ravens depending on what their 1st round picks look like.

For sure Mafe is the type of athlete who could play in a 3/4 no question, not totally sold Jermaine is that type of athlete and I still think with his strength he is better on the line consistently in a 4/3 and not dropping back in coverage from time to time.  

59 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I still think with his strength he is better on the line consistently in a 4/3 and not dropping back in coverage from time to time.  

I think the dropping back into coverage take is outdated. My question is, how often does TJ Watt drop into coverage? Von Miller? Khalil Mack in his prime? I don't know the answers but I couldn't imagine more then 10% during a game.

The drop into coverage is typically what, dropping into the flat in a zone for a rb sneaking out? I think the main emphasis is, can this dude rush the passer? Can this dude rush the passer from a multitude of stances and positions? If yes, then he's a fit.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I think the dropping back into coverage take is outdated. My question is, how often does TJ Watt drop into coverage? Von Miller? Khalil Mack in his prime? I don't know the answers but I couldn't imagine more then 10% during a game.

The drop into coverage is typically what, dropping into the flat in a zone for a rb sneaking out? I think the main emphasis is, can this dude rush the passer? Can this dude rush the passer from a multitude of stances and positions? If yes, then he's a fit.

With the Bears, who we know run the Fangio style defense, Khalil Mack has dropped into coverage on 9.8% of passing plays. 

Aldon Smith, with the 49ers under Fangio, dropped into coverage on 12.7% of passing plays.

Von Miller, under Fangio and Donatell in Denver, dropped into coverage on 8.5% of passing plays. 

Joey Bosa, who now rushes from the OLB spot under Staley(a Fangio disciple), dropped back into coverage on 5.5% of passing plays. 

And it’s not like Zimmer never randomly dropped Hunter back into coverage from time to time. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1