2022 Draft Talk

swede700

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I hate this class, but wouldn't go that far. Willis has the athletic traits and an effortless arm. Pickett is a better pure QB but has physical limits. Mond would probably rank between 3 and 6 in this class, depending what you're looking for in a QB. 

Regardless, I wouldn't take any of them in round 1; let alone at 12. 

Which is sorta where I'm at.  I said I'd consider taking Willis at #12...doesn't mean I'd do it, but, by far, he has the best upside of the passers in this draft.  I'd only consider doing so if a lot of the other guys I'd rather take were gone in the top 10.

• Like 1

With a combine like this, give me Travon Walker to the Vikings at #12, holy crap that dude is athletic and could be a great edge 3/4 OLB type who could play DE in a 3/4 also or DE in a 4/3.  Dude is a freaking show athlete at 6-5 272.  

After seeing DL results today, and considering getting funds under control, I don't think the Vikings should pass on Jordan Davis, Wyatt, or even Winfrey.   Guys like Davis at the NT are absolutely necessary for that scheme to succeed.   

The offset, is you cut Pierce and Tomlinson, replacing them with rookie-deal DTs.    I liked Watts and Lynch's performance last year, but are they ready to take the lead, with a Davis in the mix?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, swede700 said:

Which is sorta where I'm at.  I said I'd consider taking Willis at #12...doesn't mean I'd do it, but, by far, he has the best upside of the passers in this draft.  I'd only consider doing so if a lot of the other guys I'd rather take were gone in the top 10.

With a few QBs going to rise, and a couple WRs going, and some edge rushers, and possibly a centre, I think that, at LEAST one of Stingley or Gardner will fall to #12.  If bad luck happens, and neither of them is available, I think The Vikings will need to take the 3rd most highly touted edge rusher, because, I think only the top 2 will fall before #12, especially if both CBs are gone.  I'd rather wait for 2023, when there will be a bunch of QBs rated higher than ANY in this draft.  And The Vikings can maneuver to get a couple extra high-round draft choices to use in moving up to grab one of them.  In the meantime, The Vikings will have added several good young players to their roster this season, who may be able to be high-functioning starters in 2023, to help make things easier for their rookie QB.  And so, maybe their rookie QB can start some of the later games next year, when it might be a mistake to start Willis this season.  They might have a well-functioning system on both sides of the ball starting in 2023, if they can put as much draft capital into their holes on offence and, especially defence, this season.  Wasting a #1 on Willis and missing out on a top CB or edge rusher might be a mistake, when they can get a significantly better QB in 2023. 

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

After seeing DL results today, and considering getting funds under control, I don't think the Vikings should pass on Jordan Davis, Wyatt, or even Winfrey.   Guys like Davis at the NT are absolutely necessary for that scheme to succeed.   

The offset, is you cut Pierce and Tomlinson, replacing them with rookie-deal DTs.    I liked Watts and Lynch's performance last year, but are they ready to take the lead, with a Davis in the mix?

Jordan Davis I would not hate at that pick, but if David Ojabo is there he could be hard to pass on.  I think Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker could both be gone.  Bonitto is an option also but not ideal and probably will be picked later in the 1st.  

Jordan Davis is a hell of a personality and character, he could be a great pickup has a super high motor.  

14 hours ago, Robb_K said:

With a few QBs going to rise, and a couple WRs going, and some edge rushers, and possibly a centre, I think that, at LEAST one of Stingley or Gardner will fall to #12.  If bad luck happens, and neither of them is available, I think The Vikings will need to take the 3rd most highly touted edge rusher, because, I think only the top 2 will fall before #12, especially if both CBs are gone.  I'd rather wait for 2023, when there will be a bunch of QBs rated higher than ANY in this draft.  And The Vikings can maneuver to get a couple extra high-round draft choices to use in moving up to grab one of them.  In the meantime, The Vikings will have added several good young players to their roster this season, who may be able to be high-functioning starters in 2023, to help make things easier for their rookie QB.  And so, maybe their rookie QB can start some of the later games next year, when it might be a mistake to start Willis this season.  They might have a well-functioning system on both sides of the ball starting in 2023, if they can put as much draft capital into their holes on offence and, especially defence, this season.  Wasting a #1 on Willis and missing out on a top CB or edge rusher might be a mistake, when they can get a significantly better QB in 2023. 

In a perfect world we end up with Stingley or Gardner at 12. But if both are gone I think we should trade down and get Kyler Gordon later in the first. CB is our biggest need and after the late first, I don’t think there are going to be much quality corners left. This is not a deep class of CBs in my opinion. DE/Edge is going to be deeper as Boye Mafe/Cameron Thomas will most likely be available in the 2nd. If we get Kyler Gordon and Boye Mafe with our first two picks I wouldn’t be disappointed at all. 

37 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

In a perfect world we end up with Stingley or Gardner at 12. But if both are gone I think we should trade down and get Kyler Gordon later in the first. CB is our biggest need and after the late first, I don’t think there are going to be much quality corners left. This is not a deep class of CBs in my opinion. DE/Edge is going to be deeper as Boye Mafe/Cameron Thomas will most likely be available in the 2nd. If we get Kyler Gordon and Boye Mafe with our first two picks I wouldn’t be disappointed at all. 

True but will see how Kyler Gordon looks today, unless he or McDuffie absolutely wow in the workout, both could be a massive reach at #12 and passing on the likes of Jordan Davis or Ojabo could be totally foolish.  Stingley or Gardner are both ideal but most likely out unless Stingley drops because of his injury issues.  

Would love to get John Randle's thoughts on Jordan Davis, I think he loves the guy and loves his energy, sure seemed to like him when he was in person at the combine.  If Jordan Davis is that great of a teammate, person and brings that much energy and passion not to mention rare big man athletic ability, Vikings could be foolish not to take him.  

Hopefully some of the combine warriors get over drafted and push an elite prospect to 12.

Jordan Davis and Travon walker are great prospects and had amazing combines but why do their combines suddenly make them top 10/15 guys.

If they are so athletic why did they under achieve ar college?

1 hour ago, viking said:

Hopefully some of the combine warriors get over drafted and push an elite prospect to 12.

Jordan Davis and Travon walker are great prospects and had amazing combines but why do their combines suddenly make them top 10/15 guys.

If they are so athletic why did they under achieve ar college?

I didn't think they did?  Davis dominated but may have some conditioning issues at his size but Walker has been in that 10-15 range for most of the mocks I've seen since mid-season.

10 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I didn't think they did?  Davis dominated but may have some conditioning issues at his size but Walker has been in that 10-15 range for most of the mocks I've seen since mid-season.

I hadn't seen Walker being put into the top half of the first round until this weekend and it seems he's now being seen as a 1c to Hutchinson/Thibodeaux.

3 hours ago, viking said:

I hadn't seen Walker being put into the top half of the first round until this weekend and it seems he's now being seen as a 1c to Hutchinson/Thibodeaux.

Walker's scheme didn't really allow him to make those splash plays on a consistent basis.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, Ozzy said:

True but will see how Kyler Gordon looks today, unless he or McDuffie absolutely wow in the workout, both could be a massive reach at #12 and passing on the likes of Jordan Davis or Ojabo could be totally foolish.  Stingley or Gardner are both ideal but most likely out unless Stingley drops because of his injury issues.  

Would love to get John Randle's thoughts on Jordan Davis, I think he loves the guy and loves his energy, sure seemed to like him when he was in person at the combine.  If Jordan Davis is that great of a teammate, person and brings that much energy and passion not to mention rare big man athletic ability, Vikings could be foolish not to take him.  

I meant if Stingley and Gardner are both gone then we should trade down and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks. I agree, taking Kyler Gordon or McDuffie (who I think is a slot guy), would be a reach at 12. However if we trade down to pick #23, and get an extra 2nd rounder, then I wouldn’t mind taking Gordon at #23. Jermaine Johnson may also be available at that pick and I wouldn’t mind that either. The problem with this draft is that the players that will most likely be picked from 12-25 are very similar in value. I would hate to reach for a guy when we can trade down and still get him. I might sound like Rick Spielman, but let’s not forget, Spielman pulled off some great drafts. Especially in the past 2 years, minus Jeff Gladney. Interesting to see what Kwesi will do. 

Also Jordan Davis is a freak and I like him a lot. I wouldn’t be mad if we stick and pick him at 12. I have a feeling some team is going to take him in the top 10 though. His college production was limited but great. The only red flag about him is that he didn’t play much, but I think that’s because Georgia was stacked at DL and they rotated their players because they had the luxury of talent to do so. Jordan Davis ran a 4.7 at 340 pounds. That’s crazy athleticism. 

Edited by Purplepride323