2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Hey guys, I got Minnesota again for the annual FF Total Control Mock Draft. Here's how things have unfolded so far:

Round 1: I was pretty much all in on hoping Stingley would fall to me, but was not going to use any ammo to move up. Sure enough he went before our pick. I started getting feelers out there to see what I could do to move down a little since I had a tier 2 of three guys I liked and figured I'd easily scoop 1. So I made a trade to start: I sent 1.12 and 5.156 to the Eagles for 1.15, 3.83 and a 2023 7th rounder. This way I could get back into the 3rd round to get a handful of guys I was targeting in that area for this team. At 1.15 I ended up taking Trent McDuffie over Booth Jr and Olave. I know many of you are a little down on Trent, so hopefully getting back into the 3rd will help that some. 

Round 2: I sent some feelers out there to move back up into the 2nd as some talent fell, but ultimately I wasn't happy with how I would have to get there, so I held in place. The Patriots came knocking when my pick was coming up and I still had a good handful of targets available, so I looked to move down from 2.46. Ultimately I traded 2.46 for 2.54, 6.200 and a 2023 4th rounder. I was pleased with this haul. It might have been a mistake for my targets as I started losing guys. The Pats took one in Drake Jackson, and then the Commanders took Tyler Smith. I was then going to select Jalen Pitre, but he went 2 picks before. So I was going to end up doing something crazy that you all probably would have hated, but it was a fun try. I was going to take Desmond Ridder and ship Kellen Mond out. The Steelers took Ridder right before me. So I ended up getting a guy I still liked, but was down my list of targets - DeMarvin Leal, DL. I don't think he ever lived up to his hype in college, but I hope NFL coaching (and a commitment to a position) will mold him well for the depth needed on the line. 

Round 3: Here is where I can now double up on depth that can contribute right away. There was a run on TEs, but I ultimately selected Cade Otton at 3.77 over Ruckert and Jelani Woods. I really like Otton's presence as a complement TE to this offense. With my second 3rd rounder, I selected Cole Strange, OG/C with the other pick. I was going to select Kerby Joseph, S but the Packers just took him immediately before me. Still, very happy with Strange. He should excel in your system, be great depth, and could possibly be the center of the future. 

1.15 Trey McDuffie, CB
2.54 DeMarvin Leal, DL
3.77 Cade Otton, TE
3.83  Cole Strange, OG/C (trade with Eagles)
extra 2023 4th rounder (trade with Pats) and 7th rounder (trade with Eagles)
lost 2022 5th rounder (trade with Eagles)

• Like 2

At the Coogs' campus Pro Day in front of 31 of 32 NFL teams, Russey bench pressed 225 pounds 38 times. The 6-foot-2, 301-pound second-team all-conference selection also ran the 40-yard dash in a respectable 5.06 seconds with a 1.75 10-yard split, a 30-inch vertical leap and a 9-2 broad jump and a 4.52 short shuttle.

Russey, a Louisiana Tech transer, had a 77 1/2 wingspan and 32 1/4 arms.

After the workout, Russey talked with the New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings and Arizona Cardinals. He met with the Texans, whose contingent included general manager Nick Caserio and director of player personnel James Liipfert.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kind of cool, but I'm not a fan of them saying there is a zero percent chance a guy is taken EARLIER than predicted (like, some guys show no chance before pick 20, but might go earlier). I'd prefer a 1-19 with some chance......which would show what they think the earliest pick is, but not eliminate an EARLY choice. But, overall, cool tool.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Hey guys, I got Minnesota again for the annual FF Total Control Mock Draft. Here's how things have unfolded so far:

Round 1: I was pretty much all in on hoping Stingley would fall to me, but was not going to use any ammo to move up. Sure enough he went before our pick. I started getting feelers out there to see what I could do to move down a little since I had a tier 2 of three guys I liked and figured I'd easily scoop 1. So I made a trade to start: I sent 1.12 and 5.156 to the Eagles for 1.15, 3.83 and a 2023 7th rounder. This way I could get back into the 3rd round to get a handful of guys I was targeting in that area for this team. At 1.15 I ended up taking Trent McDuffie over Booth Jr and Olave. I know many of you are a little down on Trent, so hopefully getting back into the 3rd will help that some. 

Round 2: I sent some feelers out there to move back up into the 2nd as some talent fell, but ultimately I wasn't happy with how I would have to get there, so I held in place. The Patriots came knocking when my pick was coming up and I still had a good handful of targets available, so I looked to move down from 2.46. Ultimately I traded 2.46 for 2.54, 6.200 and a 2023 4th rounder. I was pleased with this haul. It might have been a mistake for my targets as I started losing guys. The Pats took one in Drake Jackson, and then the Commanders took Tyler Smith. I was then going to select Jalen Pitre, but he went 2 picks before. So I was going to end up doing something crazy that you all probably would have hated, but it was a fun try. I was going to take Desmond Ridder and ship Kellen Mond out. The Steelers took Ridder right before me. So I ended up getting a guy I still liked, but was down my list of targets - DeMarvin Leal, DL. I don't think he ever lived up to his hype in college, but I hope NFL coaching (and a commitment to a position) will mold him well for the depth needed on the line. 

Round 3: Here is where I can now double up on depth that can contribute right away. There was a run on TEs, but I ultimately selected Cade Otton at 3.77 over Ruckert and Jelani Woods. I really like Otton's presence as a complement TE to this offense. With my second 3rd rounder, I selected Cole Strange, OG/C with the other pick. I was going to select Kerby Joseph, S but the Packers just took him immediately before me. Still, very happy with Strange. He should excel in your system, be great depth, and could possibly be the center of the future. 

1.15 Trey McDuffie, CB
2.54 DeMarvin Leal, DL
3.77 Cade Otton, TE
3.83  Cole Strange, OG/C (trade with Eagles)
extra 2023 4th rounder (trade with Pats) and 7th rounder (trade with Eagles)
lost 2022 5th rounder (trade with Eagles)

Bonitto would be really hard to pass on in the 2nd but I do not mind Leal and he could be a monster 3/4 DE.  McDuffie I do not mind, Jordan Davis was gone and Stingley Jr and Gardner of course.  But hard call because if they like Sullivan then where does McDuffie play but if they want Sullivan in the outside then McDuffie can be in the slot.  Hard call though, but if they could have stayed and took Jermaine Johnson that would be hard to pass up.  I think I would have went that way at 12 then take Woolen or something 2nd round and another CB 3rd round.  

I would have taken Jelani Woods over Otton just on upside but Otton is a more complete TE than Woods or Ruckert but Woods is damn tempting with how good of an athlete he is.  I have the Vikings getting Otton but in the 5th round.  Then another OLB type makes sense or another safety possibly.

Strange I have heard a lot about but if they like Schlottmann from Denver a lot then no need for another C, if anything another OT since guard is pretty set in the competition.  I would not hate going after another corner actually.  I would have taken Marcus Jones in the 3rd instead of Otton and wait for the TE, but McDuffie and him are both slot guys so.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Bonitto would be really hard to pass on in the 2nd but I do not mind Leal and he could be a monster 3/4 DE.  McDuffie I do not mind, Jordan Davis was gone and Stingley Jr and Gardner of course.  But hard call because if they like Sullivan then where does McDuffie play but if they want Sullivan in the outside then McDuffie can be in the slot.  Hard call though, but if they could have stayed and took Jermaine Johnson that would be hard to pass up.  I think I would have went that way at 12 then take Woolen or something 2nd round and another CB 3rd round.  

I would have taken Jelani Woods over Otton just on upside but Otton is a more complete TE than Woods or Ruckert but Woods is damn tempting with how good of an athlete he is.  I have the Vikings getting Otton but in the 5th round.  Then another OLB type makes sense or another safety possibly.

Thanks for the input. Woods truly was tempting, it was just the complete TE over the TE with probably the highest upside as a receiver. 

I think we end up with McDuffie in the first after a trade back. Gardner and Stingley will be long gone by 1.12.

I'd rather stay put and get Jordan Davis, or trade back to get Linderbaum, but I doubt we address DL in round 1 and I think we'll try one more (long) year with Bradbury at center.

Bruglers 7th rounder

Thoughts?

Minnesota Vikings
RD. (PICK) NAME, POS., SCHOOL
1 (12)
Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
2 (46)
Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor
3 (77)
DeAngelo Malone, Edge, Western Kentucky
5 (156)
Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor