2022 Draft Talk

swede700

If the Vikings trade down, Zion Johnson would be on my radar. He doesn’t fill the most immediate need, and this team has A LOT invested in the o-line, but he’s so damn good. He’d instantly fill the hole at guard, and he’d be a great replacement at C (which might be his best position) if Bradbury doesn’t turn things around this year.

• Like 1

If we trade down and pick up an extra 2nd round or early 3rd round pick, then I'm open to a wide range of possibilities. If we stay put at #12, CB/EDGE/DT needs to be the pick, IMO. Regardless, we need to come away from Days 1 and 2 with a starting CB. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings trade down, Zion Johnson would be on my radar. He doesn’t fill the most immediate need, and this team has A LOT invested in the o-line, but he’s so damn good. He’d instantly fill the hole at guard, and he’d be a great replacement at C (which might be his best position) if Bradbury doesn’t turn things around this year.

Depending upon how the CB board plays out, it wouldn’t be a terrible option. The heavy investment on offense compared to the defense is concerning and I’d prefer we continue to use those early picks to fix the defense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Depending upon how the CB board plays out, it wouldn’t be a terrible option. The heavy investment on offense compared to the defense is concerning and I’d prefer we continue to use those early picks to fix the defense. 

I think the biggest concern I have is the heavy investment the Vikings have made in the OL with such average to below average returns.

I don't blame the current regime for that, but it's just extremely deflating as a Vikings fan.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If we trade down and pick up an extra 2nd round or early 3rd round pick, then I'm open to a wide range of possibilities. If we stay put at #12, CB/EDGE/DT needs to be the pick, IMO. Regardless, we need to come away from Days 1 and 2 with a starting CB. 

The way I’m looking at it, with 2 weeks to go, I see 3 edge rushers (Hutchinson, Walker, Thibodeaux), 2 offensive tackles (Neal, Ekwonu), 2 quarterbacks (Willis, Ridder), 1 cornerback (Gardner), and 1 wide receiver (Wilson) going in some order within the first 11 picks. 

That leaves two spots to “sweat out”. If those two selections happen to be Hamilton and Stingley, that would pretty much be a worst case scenario for me at 12, and a trade down would be heavily preferred. But, if Stingley or Hamilton are available at 12, I’m sprinting to the podium with my draft card. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I think the biggest concern I have is the heavy investment the Vikings have made in the OL with such average to below average returns.

I don't blame the current regime for that, but it's just extremely deflating as a Vikings fan.

I'm not that down yet.  The oldest one is only going into his 5th year and turns 27 years old this year and is one of the best RTs in the game.  Cleveland will only be in Year 3 (only turning 24 next month) and Darrisaw Year 2 (turning 23 in June).  The only questions are Bradbury (whose turning 27 in June) and the RG spot.  I think if those get resolved, this is a top-10 offensive line within the next 2 years.  I don't think that's that far out of reach, because offensive line play throughout the league is generally terrible.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

The way I’m looking at it, with 2 weeks to go, I see 3 edge rushers (Hutchinson, Walker, Thibodeaux), 2 offensive tackles (Neal, Ekwonu), 2 quarterbacks (Willis, Ridder), 1 cornerback (Gardner), and 1 wide receiver (Wilson) going in some order within the first 11 picks. 

That leaves two spots to “sweat out”. If those two selections happen to be Hamilton and Stingley, that would pretty much be a worst case scenario for me at 12, and a trade down would be heavily preferred. But, if Stingley or Hamilton are available at 12, I’m sprinting to the podium with my draft card. 

I think Cross and Johnson are more likely then Ridder to be gone before our pick.

Also with how Hamilton is described I don't see him being a BPA for us to pick his game works the same as Harrison Smith but he lacks the better athleticism that Smith brings at his best.

We'd have two guys better served playing close to the line of scrimmage and with Smith not going anywhere it doesn't help to fix our defense at all.

6 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I go Stingley in this scenario.

Each have a strong argument IMO.

Hamilton, Smith, and Bynum would make for some fun 3-safety looks. Smith is likely in purple through the 2023 season.

Stingley definitely fills the bigger need.

I think I might lean Hamilton today due to Stingley's "injury" history. That could easily change tomorrow haha.

Tough call!