2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

Just now, xrade said:

That would be great but a small part of me does not want that to happen. There is talk of Thibs “love of the game” as mentioned previously.  If JD does not feel comfortable with Thibs, he may pass. JD seems to be risk averse to character questions. In fact, many GM’s are risk averse if they sense the prospect does not love the game.  I’d hate to be in a position, as a fan, with Thibs staring us in the face and we pass.  Something will get broken. 

They are only saying that because they found out he's business savvy and launched his own Crypto at one point. He was praised all season while playing through injuries, but suddenly question his love for the game when they saw he can make money outside of the sport. I'm not falling for that. 

Even though we are kind of in no man's land for both 4 and 10, I feel like two drafts in a row our needs matched up with the talent in the draft.  Got our QB (and there were 5 1st round picks) when we were picking 2, now there's no clear cut QB.  Class is loaded with Edge and LB.  It's nice for a change lol.

5 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

They are only saying that because they found out he's business savvy and launched his own Crypto at one point. He was praised all season while playing through injuries, but suddenly question his love for the game when they saw he can make money outside of the sport. I'm not falling for that. 

More power to him for all that, but we have seen what happens when stories “leak”. Prospects drop.  Depending on how he interviews, I hope JD looks past that like he did with Bectons thing and LDT’s love of medicine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr.O said:

If we pass on Thibs I’ll have to step in.

Ya I was going back and forth on this earlier today. He might be available for us and it’s so hard to pass on him. But let’s say we sign an edge like Barnett (very possible since JD had a hand in drafting him). And he’s hitting his prime years and fits our system… do we “need” DE so bad to grab him. Or go OL with a guy like Ikem who for sure can start for us at RG and gives us slot of flexibility with the OL with him and AVT able to play OG and OT.

Tao go one step further… we then can still draft a guy like Johnson or Ojabo at 10.

I feel like the Jets don’t even really try much on developmental OL in the mid rounds? Dakota Dozier failed obviously, but Brandon Shell worked out relatively fine. Brian Winters too. Matt Slauson if you really want to reach far back. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

You don't pass on a guy like Thib just because you have Barnett.  Is he even that good?

I think he’s better than his stats are. I just used his name bc it’s very realistic. My point was more so that if we address DE in FA and we’re get Lawson back… is DE an immediate need? It’s Thibs so good that you draft him anyway and rotate them all in? Or do you just grab a star OLineman instead? I see both sides of it. 

40 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I feel like the Jets don’t even really try much on developmental OL in the mid rounds? Dakota Dozier failed obviously, but Brandon Shell worked out relatively fine. Brian Winters too. Matt Slauson if you really want to reach far back. 

Last developmental OL that had a career as Jet is Brandon Moore.

Jets should continue getting one that is NFL ready for our sake.

37 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

You don't pass on a guy like Thib just because you have Barnett.  Is he even that good?

Randy Gregory may be only Edge that prevents Jets from taking Edge in top 10.  Other than that, Jets will be delirious not taking one in 1st.

8 hours ago, NewAge said:

Edoga has been a fail. Clarke as well and they’re in the last few drafts.

Anyone know Jemaine Johnson's age? I cant seem to find it. I know he cant be too young for a guy about to be a rookie after spending a couples years at a JC, 2 years at Georgia and another at FSU. Assuming he was 18 when he went to college... that puts him already at 23. For comparison a guy like Kayvon just turned 21.