Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't care if he plays right away.  I want him to have more reps.  And quality reps at that.   Not back up or scout team reps and not zero reps just watching.   

Nagy is saying he is giving Dalton starter's reps.   That is what i have a problem with.   A major problem.  

Fields is the investment, not Dalton. 

Agreed, but as I also posted before by virtue of getting both starters reps and reps with the backups it's quite possible Fields will get more reps than Dalton who will be standing around waiting his turn while Fields takes his.

And whose to say the the reps he takes with backups are not also quality reps as long as what he's running there is the same or similar to what the starters are running?  I hear ya' but I also hear a whole lot of assumptions as well.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

What I fear is Dalton gets bulk of reps as is tradition and practice, Fields watches.  Dalton sucks and Fields gets thrown into season half trained having had far less reps leading up to that point.  

That is scenario I see playing out under current announced plan.

Here again you're envisioning a potential problem come October or November and it's only May.  No mandatory OTAs yet, no Training Camp, no Preseason.  Even with Fields on board Nagy is expected to juice the offense and win games now.

He virtually has to prepare Dalton to do that until he's certain Fields is the best guy to start each week.  So while the perception with Fields may be let's have him ready by game #8 with Dalton it's ready by game #1. There's a dual objective here.

In the final analysis it's Nagy's success with Fields running his offense that will either get him an extension or get him fired.  No matter what there's an expectation of showing "progress" this season and IMHO that means offensive progress.

It isn't our defense that's been losing us games it's an offense that Matt Nagy still insists on running himself that can't even hang 20 points per game on the board.  If Nagy's offense keep flopping even Pace won't be able to defend him to GMcC.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, G08 said:

Nagy is close with Ryan Day and has said that he's going to incorporate what Fields did well at Ohio State into our offense. So I'm expecting to see a lot of carry over from what Fields did there, plus with Nagy's own spin on it -- concepts and plays that build off Fields' bread and butter at Ohio State.

At least he'd better ******* do that.

One would think if he’s going to do just that then Fields should be ready to get on the field sooner than later. 

9 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

What ever the plan is for Fields I don’t really care right now, I just want him to be what almost everyone thinks he can be. This just has a different feel than when Trubisky was drafted and I am long for the right to see it all play out. 

You're not lying. And this isn't just me drinking the kool-aid either. I truly feel like he's the real deal.

I finally received my Fields jersey today in the mail. 

They won't ever be opened and the pics you see below will be the last time they see daylight.

I can't wait to get his SB and HOF jerseys 🙂

NUkRbX7.jpg

azFry1x.jpg

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to today’s Locked on Packers podcast.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/locked-on-packers

LaFluer doesn’t think Love is ready yet or they have great concern because .... wait for it ... wait a little longer ...

- lack of meaningful reps. 

I mean, he should be ready to be an all-pro right now with all great watching he has done to date.   He never had to play once.  

I don’t get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Listen to today’s Locked on Packers podcast.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/locked-on-packers

LaFluer doesn’t think Love is ready yet or they have great concern because .... wait for it ... wait a little longer ...

- lack of meaningful reps.

Stop lol. You're just making things up to try to fit your narrative. I watched Lafluer's entire presser, in its entirety, and he didn't say either of those things.

He talked about how this is the first time during this offseason where it's been more than just 7 on 7. He then went on to say some of the plays they asked Love to run he hadn't been able to run during the preseason last year (due to COVID with no offseason programs and how it affected his progression).

https://www.packers.com/video/lafleur-on-tonyan-he-s-progressed-as-much-as-any-player-we-ve-had-in-the-two-yea

https://www.packers.com/video/luke-getsy-feels-good-about-jordan-love-s-progress

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I mean, he should be ready to be an all-pro right now with all great watching he has done to date.   He never had to play once.  

I don’t get it.

Fields is gonna be a bust if he doesn't start in game 1 because he's only getting 2nd team reps in OTAs. If he was getting all the 1st team reps and started day 1 he would be a sure-fire hall of famer.

https://theathletic.com/2629521/2021/06/02/bears-ota-notebook-andy-daltons-role-as-mentor-whats-planned-for-justin-fields-more/

“Right now for him, it’s all new, first time getting in an NFL offense,” Dalton said Wednesday. “I’m trying to give him advice on certain things, how I would view certain plays, what I’d do with my eyes on certain things, different things that come with experience. Obviously, I’m going into Year 11. I’ve had a lot of ball. For me, I’m just trying to help him out a much as I can.”

Does Dalton enjoy being a mentor and a sounding board?

“Absolutely,” he said. “It’s just the position I’m in. Everybody should enjoy it. You know, all our experiences in our lives are for us and other people. You’re just trying to pass that along.”

When it comes to evaluating Fields’ development as an outsider, a Wednesday in June that features him playing with reserves and against reserves failed to provide much insight. It also doesn’t help that vantage points for the media can be limited. But Fields has already made a positive impression with his new teammates.

“He’s a freakish athlete, to say the least,” running back David Montgomery said. “He already kind of carries that leader mantra that you rarely see in rookies that I know I didn’t have. He’s great and he’s progressing well. It’s good to see him, being as young as he is, being able to take the reins. Looking at Andy, following behind Andy, Andy being able to show him the ropes. He looks great out there. I’m proud of that kid.”

Pfff...nonesense. Dalton should just ignore Fields and not try to mentor him because experienced mentors in the same profession are meaningless. You can't learn anything without doing it.

Nagy should just stop having team/QB meetings because they're useless and are not going to help Fields at all. Can't learn without doing it......reps are all that matter!

Fields either has it or he doesn't it......so sit him down for the offseason then start him on week 1 and let him figure it out.

LaFluer from podcast

You can make fun all you want.   Here are direct quotes best I can transcribe:

"He had limited reps last year and some of these plays we want him to execute he has only ran once or twice in pre season.  So there is just a lot of learning going on right now.  .... there is a lot that goes into that position.   ...  Every rep is opportunity to learn."

Paraphrasing then   "We want him to be able to play without thinking."   Which he obviously isn't doing right now.  

Then he is working hard and all that.  Just coach speak compliments that mean nothing.  

Its right here about 20 minutes of talk on this subject between host and playing parts of press conference.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/locked-on-packers   Listen for yourself.  If you think I am lying.   

Host later:  Love just doesn't have the reps.   He needs reps.   He needs reps for muscle memory.  For not thinking, etc.

Nothing wrong with having Dalton do reps with Fields so there are examples.   Just make sure Fields gets actual reps and isn't just watching Dalton.   

Everyone gets reps in OTAs and many in camp.   Problem comes in that closer you get to season reps get condensed to just starter and back up reps.   That is part I have a problem with.

I never want Fields to stop getting reps or have his reps be scout reps or mental reps.   That will retard or slow his development to an unacceptable pace.

• Like 1

I can ***** all I want it is what it is.   I am not in charge of anything.    

Fields will win this job in camp regardless and everyone will know it.   Because he is the better football player.  

They will probably start Dalton against Rams anyway because they are stubborn and they think they have some stupid formula.   

Fields will get in as soon as Dalton as a bad game or two and that will be that.

Geez, how do I disagree without seeming to disagree and be stuffed in a sack and tossed into a pit of burning embers?  I'm old now but still to young to die.  Plus I haven't even started on my biography yet. 😁  OK, I'll risk it anyway....LOL.

For starters the situation in GB is not exactly the same as the situation in Chicago.

Yes, Love needs his reps yes, but then no he will not get them as long as Aaron Rodgers is around and neither will he get the same kind of mentoring Fields can get from Dalton. IMHO it's two different scenarios entirely and at least somewhat hard to compare them.

Dalton is a bridge QB and he knows it.  Aaron Rodgers is fighting to keep Love from taking over his job in GB.  Dalton is happy with his role as a mentor and willing enough to "pay it forward".  I sincerely doubt Aaron Rodgers has that same attitude.

IMHO the only way Love is gonna grow into his role as a #1 is through reps and playing whereas Fields can actually learn at least some of what he needs to through the eyes and experience of Andy Dalton.  Rodgers isn't gonna teach Love how to take his job.

OK, enough on the theoretical.

Nagy has already said that for starters Dalton will get more of the 1st string reps.  Let's even say most of them.  If they plan to start him in Sept. that only makes common sense right?  But what happens in camp and preseason if Fields is catching up very quickly?

If Fields is truly winning the starters job in camp and there's no rational reason for holding him back wouldn't it be safe to assume he'll begin to get an ever increasing number of snaps with the 1st string?  Nagy may be stubborn but he's not stupid.

He has already said that camp will be an open competition for the #1 spot so even if Dalton has been declared the #1 guy going in he's gonna have to fend of Fields and hold that spot and Fields on the other hand is being challenged to take it away from him.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that approach.  Fields IS the #1 in waiting the only question right now is how long that wait will be.  I haven't read anything that says if Fields is clearly far superior this summer that there's still no chance he'll start the year.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the reps thing other than to say that it's not as if Fields isn't gonna get as many reps as Dalton gets it just about who gets the reps to the 1st string and who gets his with the backups and that could end up being fluid.

As for what's happening up in the Cheese Tundra I don't really give a damn.

Edited by soulman

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

Geez, how do I disagree without seeming to disagree and be stuffed in a sack and tossed into a pit of burning embers?  I'm old now but still to young to die.  Plus I haven't even started on my biography yet. 😁  OK, I'll risk it anyway....LOL.

Oooo ... that was a poor choice.   

It was stuffed in a sack with an asp, a couple of raccoons, fire ants and thrown into a river.

Tough, but fair.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, dll2000 said:

You can make fun all you want.  

I will always call someone out whenever they try to take a quote and put words in their mouths and run with it only because it fits their narrative. 

On 6/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, dll2000 said:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/locked-on-packers   Listen for yourself.  If you think I am lying.   

You are lying. That's why I called you out on it in the first place. I would post more links to prove it but you'll ignore those too because.....reasons.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, dll2000 said:

They will probably start Dalton against Rams anyway because they are stubborn and they think they have some stupid formula. 

Says guy who swore up and down the Bears should have started Foles over Mitch last year lol.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:10 PM, dll2000 said:

Oooo ... that was a poor choice.   

It was stuffed in a sack with an asp, a couple of raccoons, fire ants and thrown into a river.

Tough, but fair.  

Could I talk you into leaving out the fire ants?

I don't like bugs all that much and the river current will probably drown me anyway.

• Like 1