Packers/Saints Postgame

incognito_man

2 hours ago, jontat83 said:

I think there is more evidence that is indeed the case than not. During Rodgers 'slump' when he wasn't playing at his godly level for pretty much a year we looked god awful on offense and I think you will see more evidence of that this season with him being absent.

You had film junkies asking why wasn't McCarthy changing the scheme up a bit introducing man beater concepts during Rodgers slump. Fortunately Rodgers eventually got out of his slump and was playing really well at the end of last season and this season before he got hurt.

Then they need a better scheme and WR’s. Other teams can get their WR and TE open! We need perfect passes to succeed. 

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

Film study aint game action.

There might be a reason 1 was a 1st round pick and the other a 5th.

Huntley played in a pro offense too while Watson played in the new college shotgun system. Huntley should have been further along reading defenses by now for sure. 

Rewatched the game this morning super early and here is what I got not in any particular order. (I was not impressed with really much of anything):

Negatives:

1. OL - Both OTs were consistently giving up pressure.  Pass blocking was not sharp today. The interior played better. Run blocking was sporadic bordering on great on some plays and god awful on others. 

2. Pass Rush - With the secondary weaknesses on this team the pass rush needs to get home. Pass rush just wasn't there most plays. For as much as we are paying Perry, Matthews, and Daniels we need more splash plays from them. 

3. Secondary - Was opportunistic in the first half but even in the first half we were giving up yards. Both interceptions put us around our own 20 yard line. The second half the Saints basically moved on us at will. Part of this is I think the defense was gassed but a lot of that is there own faults. They could not get off the field on third down to save there lives. Besides Kevin King the tackling in the secondary is atrocious. Speaking of Kevin King he was giving way way too much space to the WRs he was covering leading to easy completions. I don't know if that's by design or what but he needs to cover the WRs better. 

4. QB - Hundley did not look comfortable throwing the football all game. 50% completion percentage for under 100 yards is not going to win us any games with this defense. He needs to play better. 

5. WR - I don't have the all 22 so I can't see everything but at times it didn't look like they could separate and none could make a play for our QB at any time when given 50/50 balls. This could be due to the stupid ISO routes that we run as well. 

6. Coaching - I understand the coddling of a new QB but Hundley is not a new QB to this offense. That offense was more akin to what I would see if we literally signed Tony Romo last week than with a QB that should be fairly comfortable in our offense up to this point. I was calling the plays like Tony Romo on Sunday  which is ridiculous. The play calling was terrible from the start. The last play is a perfect example, need 10 yards and you have 3rd and 4th down to get it. What do you do? Run Nelson, Cobb, and Bennett on streaks. It looked like the Badgers offense but even the Badgers have more creativity than what was shown. I think this may go down as one of Mike McCarthys worse coached games. Defense once again looks confused on plays. There is no excuse for giving up a 3rd and 17 ever and i'm pretty sure on the Saints running touchdown there was only 10 defenders on the field. 

Positives:

1. Aaron Jones - He looks special. He has good vision and is fast enough to get through holes and break tackles. He did more today than what the blocking really set up. There is no reason to not have him get 20+ carries in a game. Granted because our defense couldn't get off the field we only had 4 positions in the second half. 

2. Blake Martinez - Once again probably one of our most underrated players on the team. He was all over the field and did well in both his run and pass plays from what I can tell. He is always around the ball. 

3. Vogel - He punted. 

Called for the read option , and we did see some of that. Jones had a few good scampers on zone read. 

Called for dropback and pa on 1st and 2nd down and we didn't see any of that. Mac needs to set hundley up for success by calling plays in situations that allow him to succeed. 

Brett's best drive got started in the 2 min drill, and mac wasted it by not calling TO after the completion. The saints set us up by calling their TOs (in a similar mac strat to week 1) and we let them off the hook. Got a first down to marty I think, and then wasted 37 seconds until ball was snapped. Then the Richard Rodgers idiocy costs us a FG and mac messes up another end of half scenario by taking his TO into halftime. 

Defense simply folded against a good offense and HOF qb in the 2nd half. Brees drove all game and played ball control. NO flawless in 2nd half. 

59 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Brett's best drive got started in the 2 min drill, and mac wasted it by not calling TO after the completion. The saints set us up by calling their TOs (in a similar mac strat to week 1) and we let them off the hook. Got a first down to marty I think, and then wasted 37 seconds until ball was snapped. Then the Richard Rodgers idiocy costs us a FG and mac messes up another end of half scenario by taking his TO into halftime. 

Yep .. unforgivable not to come away with points in that scenario.  That was some awful coaching, and undisciplined play and it cost us points.  Not a good day for McCarthy at all .. just kind of helps confirm that the Packers stink without Rodgers to save the day.

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. unforgivable not to come away with points in that scenario.  That was some awful coaching, and undisciplined play and it cost us points.  Not a good day for McCarthy at all .. just kind of helps confirm that the Packers stink without Rodgers to save the day.

McCarthy wasn't  the only coach to have a bad day yesterday.   :(

32 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

I know Aaron Jones is now the deserved starter at RB, but there's no reason for Ty to rarely see the field. He's still a weapon for the team and a mismatch in the passing game.

I suspect they are trying to protect Ty's ribs and this is why he isn't seeing a lot of playing time.

4 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I don't think there has been been times where a team ran 24 times with a 7.5 YPA, and forced two TOs that only scored 17 points... That is bad. 

It's all good though because Mike admitted he sucked. He'll do better next time, he promises.

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

I know Aaron Jones is now the deserved starter at RB, but there's no reason for Ty to rarely see the field. He's still a weapon for the team and a mismatch in the passing game.

Agreed completely. If Mac is as good as an offensive coach as people say, he would have Ty lining up at multiple positions throughout the game. Two weeks until our next game, Ty will be healthier and there will be no reason for this not to happen. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It's all good though because Mike admitted he sucked. He'll do better next time, he promises.

He really didn't give Hundley a chance.  Was MM afraid to let Brett just wing it and play and if he makes a mistake big deal?  Jason Wilde on espn.com said today by not freeing Brett to just run the offense he wasn't giving his QB a chance.  

That was one sorry excuse of a conservative game plan. This isn't a rookie QB or a QB we picked up a week ago and that's the way this offense looked. I'm really disappointed in McCarthy for this game. What good is Hundley as a back up if you don't trust him to actually run the offense? 

Archived