Packers/Saints Postgame

incognito_man

14 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why?   After three full training camp and to all seasons why do we need to limit the play book at all?   I feel like the game plan and playbook should’ve been exactly the same. If you disagree and say they need to tone it down because Aaron Rodgers is hurt, then you have to believe that only Aaron Rodgers can make those passes and if that’s the case, the playbook is flawed in the first place, the WR’s are inadequate. 

I don't know why but it just felt like he wasn't letting Hundley loose.  Maybe it was my imagination...

I was wondering if Ty Montgomery was ineffective or injured.  I thought he looked slower and weaker the last couple of weeks, but his YPC has not been good in any game all season and his season long is 11 yards.  His production has been almost on par with that of Jamaal Williams, but with more opportunities.  I'd blame the shuffling line, but that hasn't stopped Aaron Jones from producing. 

I thought the OL did pretty well.

I wonder how much of the offensive woes will work themselves out as Hundley gets more game time experience.  He has only attempted 44 passes in his career.  One three and out, Hundley throws a dangerous throw to Davante Adams that was broken up, but it looked like a RPO, where he could have gotten the yards himself.  Another Montgomery gets caught dancing trying for a cutback when the available yardage would likely been the first down.  Very attainable first downs on those plays could have changed the game a lot, if for no other reason than to keep the defense on the sideline for a minute or two more.  Hundley's final INT was a very poor throw.  We know he is capable of playing well, we just need to get some more consistency out of him.  I think that will come with time.  We have seen McCarthy's offense work with Matt Flynn, so we don't necessarily need a HOF guy to make it work, Hundley just needs a bit more time.

35 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I guaranteed we would have a non tipped interception this week by a corner. I'm a genius.

I also guaranteed Cobb got 100 yards.lol

The Jets already have the total amount of wins I thought they would have all season, and they were competitive in the Miami game today and for about 3 quarters of the New England game last week.  I thought they would be historically bad.

4 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

The Jets already have the total amount of wins I thought they would have all season, and they were competitive in the Miami game today and for about 3 quarters of the New England game last week.  I thought they would be historically bad.

NFL is random. I tell people all the time. Lol

We can sit here and analyze the offensive woes all we want but remember that this same team under MM went 8-12 during the 2015-2016 stretch when Rodgers wasnt playing at an MVP level. The offense has pretty much sucked, not been average...sucked, unless Rodgers is playing MVP football. That is extremely telling. This isnt anything new.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We can sit here and analyze the offensive woes all we want but remember that this same team under MM went 8-12 during the 2015-2016 stretch when Rodgers wasnt playing at an MVP level. The offense has pretty much sucked, not been average...sucked, unless Rodgers is playing MVP football. That is extremely telling. This isnt anything new.

It most certainly is telling.

And it’s telling now too. Brett Hundley is Mac’s Guy. They traded up for him, and has had 2 plus years to groom him. Hell, he scoffed at the thought of picking up a proven nfl qb. The entire playbook should be open, and we should be able to put up points. Period.

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Its only new to people on this forum who look for any excuse that isn't TT or MM when the team struggles. 

Also, I was at the game today, the defense is actually worse in person than it is on TV.

The one good thing that came out of today's game is that even MM must see by now that Jones is GB's best option at RB1

For the rest, I don't see where anything happened vs NO that wasn't entirely predictable.  Rodgers has been handicapped all season by the inability of GB's receivers to get open, but he's just so damn good he can make it work anyway.  Hundley doesn't have the same ability. We already knew this.

The big question heading into today's game was whether MM would be able to tailor the game plan to fit Hundley's skill set.  The answer?  Not so much.  I can't be the only one who thinks it's odd that MM would insist earlier this week that there is no way GB could bring in an outside QB to run this offense, and then come into this game with such a conservative game plan Hundley.  Hundley has been in this offense three years now.  Where is the progress?  The Hundley I saw today looked very much like the Hundley I saw as a rookie.

The defense is what it is.  Daniels on a good day is the only impact player, and he's been quiet since getting dinged.  The bend but don't break style only works when the GB offense can control the tempo of the game.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.  Confusion in the secondary continues to be a near weekly theme for the defense, as has been the case since 2011.  The breakdowns have been occurring regularly for years, and I have no reason to expect them the stop while Capers is running the defense.  It doesn't even bother me anymore.  The breakdowns on 3rd and long are almost comically predictable at this point.  It's part of what MM has chosen to accept by keeping Capers at DC.

27 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

In all seriousness, why does Capers still have a job? It's not even a jokey joke thing anymore, like I honestly don't get it?

It's a good question.  We've got a GM who can deflect poor drafting and player acquisitions onto the DC, and we've got a HC who can deflect poor playoff performance on to the DC.  It's like their get out of jail free card or something ;)

Archived