2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Jimmy is also crazy efficient and clutch in 2 minute drill situations, something Baker hasn’t been since his rookie year.

Baker absolutely was not good under 2 min this season, but Jesus did he have zero help.  No one ever made a play, held a block, whatever.  Most of the time it was extreme under 2 min scenarios too.  Like, down 4 with 75 seconds left, no timeouts and the ball on your 25.

While you can say “hey, he had a chance” and be right, that’s not a really reasonable expectation.  Especially with our receivers.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Baker absolutely was not good under 2 min this season, but Jesus did he have zero help.  No one ever made a play, held a block, whatever.  Most of the time it was extreme under 2 min scenarios too.  Like, down 4 with 75 seconds left, no timeouts and the ball on your 25.

While you can say “hey, he had a chance” and be right, that’s not a really reasonable expectation.  Especially with our receivers.

I’m also looking at the Chiefs (second to last drive and last drive) this and last year, the Chargers this year, and even how Mullins was able to deliver against Vegas. I’m not talking about the Ravens game or some of those other “nobody can do it” situations.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Also would add that Shanny is a lot better HC/OC than Stef. When ever I listened to the ThomaHawk podcast, I don’t think they ever praised a coach like they would for Shanny. Wish we would have hired him as HC than Pettine but Jimmy prolly would have fired him. 

if that is the case, maybe instead of drafting Justin Gilbert to make Pettine happy they stay at 4 and take Watkins or Evans…maybe Alex Mack never leaves

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m also looking at the Chiefs (second to last drive and last drive) this and last year, the Chargers this year, and even how Mullins was able to deliver against Vegas. I’m not talking about the Ravens game or some of those other “nobody can do it” situations.

The chiefs game was the exact scenario I referenced.  Don’t remember the second to the last drive though.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The chiefs game was the exact scenario I referenced.  Don’t remember the second to the last drive though.

They basically went three and out all second half except for the Chubb fumble. The same with the Chargers that last drive where we didn’t take the lead in a tie game.

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Also would add that Shanny is a lot better HC/OC than Stef. When ever I listened to the ThomaHawk podcast, I don’t think they ever praised a coach like they would for Shanny. Wish we would have hired him as HC than Pettine but Jimmy prolly would have fired him. 

Yeah he is.  He’s also been at it a lot longer.

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

if that is the case, maybe instead of drafting Justin Gilbert to make Pettine happy they stay at 4 and take Watkins or Evans…maybe Alex Mack never leaves

Or go ahead and trade down like they did and draft Donald or OBJ.

That was a hard draft to eff up, but we managed to pull it off.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he is.  He’s also been at it a lot longer.

And ironically they each have comparable career winning percentages with comparable schemes and philosophies.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or go ahead and trade down like they did and draft Donald or OBJ.

That was a hard draft to eff up, but we managed to pull it off.

Was just coming in here to say this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Don’t remember the second to the last drive though.

Oh you mean the drive where on 1st down Chubb Gained no yards but a TE moved before the snap and made it 1st and 15. Baker comes out and hits Jarvis for 10yards to make it 2nd and 5. They run Chubb again but this time he loses 2 yards. So it’s now 3rd and 7 and Baker finds Schwartz but, surprise, surprise, he couldn’t come up with the clutch catch…

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They basically went three and out all second half except for the Chubb fumble.

They only had one punt that game.. And one dropped snap on a punt I guess, but the offense was humming along that game.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The same with the Chargers that last drive where we didn’t take the lead in a tie game.

We had to go 75 yards yards (not just FG range) in 91 seconds with no timeouts. 

I also just on principle will not ding a QB for not winning a game in which the offense hung 42 on an opponent.

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Oh you mean the drive where on 1st down Chubb Gained no yards but a TE moved before the snap and made it 1st and 15. Baker comes out and hits Jarvis for 10yards to make it 2nd and 5. They run Chubb again but this time he loses 2 yards. So it’s now 3rd and 7 and Baker finds Schwartz but, surprise, surprise, he couldn’t come up with the clutch catch…

Is that the one Schwartz dropped when it hit both of his hands?

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

Probably a bad throw 

I realize you’re joking here, but a lot of people said that about a lot of his throws last season that weren’t picture perfect and between the numbers.

Like, I don’t expect that out of a QB.  They don’t have to be perfect, that’s why receivers get paid large amounts of money as well.  If you can get your hands on it, it’s your job to make the play.

If the placement is off I’m not going to expect YAC, but you do have to make the catch.

8 minutes ago, JDD said:

Probably a bad throw 

It truly wasn’t the best throw but it is a type of throw burrow has made all year. Difference is Higgins and Chase make those catches…

can we please sign Mike Williams and draft Burk and go into the season with our 3 top WRs measuring up at 6’4, 6’3, and 6’2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I said this in another thread. Just get Baker 2 guys he can absolutely trust.

At the end of the season he didn’t trust anyone one! Didn’t trust his tackles, didn’t trust his WRs, didn’t trust his TEs, didn’t trust the play calling. Think the Only guys on offense he trusted where the RBs but Stefanski didn’t even trust them

completely agree tho. Give him guys he can trust and he will find them. He had that with Higgins but the coaches have hated him. 

Edited by buno67