2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Just now, JDD said:

Again my point is unless they fix that OL he is going to have issues.  He’s already had knee surgery, can’t have him getting sacked 9 times and expect to be successful. 

I’d rather be where they are and shore up the OL than where we are. Really sad tbh

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Which calls into question the selection of Mayfield over Allen.

Franchise-defining selection.

Disclosure: I was a Darnold guy, for sure, but an anti-Mayfield guy for surer.

And do you honestly think Allen ends up being who he is now if we had drafted him with Hue, Haley, and Kitchens? I very much doubt it.

Allen was the epitome of a boom or bust pick. He had good, consistent coaching in Buffalo. He wouldn't have had that here and he likely busts.

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

And do you honestly think Allen ends up being who he is now if we had drafted him with Hue, Haley, and Kitchens? I very much doubt it.

Allen was the epitome of a boom or bust pick. He had good, consistent coaching in Buffalo. He wouldn't have had that here and he likely busts.

I don’t disagree with this albeit it’s hard to say.

That said, I’ve said for a long time now that with these new rookie contracts, you’re better off selecting a bust than a mediocre quarterback because we could at least move on if we crashed and burned. Now we are stuck in no man’s land.

1 minute ago, JDD said:

We can agree to disagree there. They do have a good QB and WRs though 

Their edge situation is good too, as are their linebackers and they have arguably the best safety in the league. Our roster is night and day better but they probably have a top 5 quarterback 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I don’t disagree with this albeit it’s hard to say.

That said, I’ve said for a long time now that with these new rookie contracts, you’re better off selecting a bust than a mediocre quarterback because we could at least move on if we crashed and burned. Now we are stuck in no man’s land.

We're in no man's land if we extend Baker and he proves to be mediocre, but that extension isn't happening right now. He'll get next year and we'll take it from there. If he's not the guy then do whatever it takes to get a top QB in 2023. I know that's easier said than done, but we'd have a talented enough roster that we could afford to trade up/trade premium draft capital for whatever QB we want in 2023. If he plays well, then franchise him and make him prove it back-to-back years before extending him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Their edge situation is good too, as are their linebackers and they have arguably the best safety in the league. Our roster is night and day better but they probably have a top 5 quarterback 

I'm salty that Larry O has seemingly put it all together with them too. He's been damn good for them. Luckily he only signed a one year deal, I think.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Why likely?

He has legs and would have made it to the Berry/Stefanski regime under a #1 overall pick contract.

Yeah, but he may have been mentally broken by that part, like a Sam Darnold. He was someone who needed reliable coaching.

I think you're forgetting just how rough around the edges Allen was his first couple of years. He showed flashes of being really good, but also showed flashes of being really, really bad at times.

Man watching this game 

Baker doesn’t have what it takes to keep up with Burrow Mahomes and Allen. 

The kid just ain’t got it. Those guys are on another tier. Even at his best he ain’t up there. And that’s the unfortunate part. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I think you're forgetting just how rough around the edges Allen was his first couple of years. He showed flashes of being really good, but also showed flashes of being really, really bad at times.

Not forgetting that at all.

Just fast-forwarding to today, and, in retrospect, asking who would have been the better pick?

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man watching this game 

Baker doesn’t have what it takes to keep up with Burrow Mahomes and Allen. 

The kid just ain’t got it. Those guys are on another tier. Even at his best he ain’t up there. And that’s the unfortunate part. 

Correct.

Maybe your frank and accurate assessment will sink in to the supporters/enablers/apologists and help them proceed through the stages of grief.😁

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

the stages of grief.

Bro that’s what it is for real. Just accepting even if he’s good he’ll never be on that great tier. We gotta do something…

I think watching the playoffs just illustrates that even more. When you really see top talent each game. It’s a different level. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 1