2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Between him, Baker, trading #1 picks, and the power struggle, Dorsey is my thesis for "Football Guys are morons". Sashi handed him a war chest and he basically crapped all over it except for drafting Ward (no brainer) and Chubb, while getting lucky on Teller in a throwaway pick...not to mention hiring Freddie and everything else.

You forgot Hunt and Landry....but ok...

gave up on Corbett too soon also, after obviously scouting him correctly...but was that coaching?  Position on OL?

Forgive me if I'm underwhelmed by the nerds at this point...Outside of the top 2 rounds of both drafts (and Wills is looking worse than Wirfs) I don't see much

Plenty of cap room, and we get Hill, Johnson, Walker (all of whom have been meh) and a Stefanski that regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Clowney has been good.....

So Football Guy or Nerd?  At this point the verdict is still out

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Between him, Baker, trading #1 picks, and the power struggle, Dorsey is my thesis for "Football Guys are morons". Sashi handed him a war chest and he basically crapped all over it except for drafting Ward (no brainer) and Chubb, while getting lucky on Teller in a throwaway pick...not to mention hiring Freddie and everything else.

Yeah that OBJ trade was really, really bad.

Coulda just drafted AJ Brown or Debo.

Or Jeffrey Simmons.

And we’d still have had peppers who fits well in this defense.

And on the surface the OBJ trade wasn’t awful, but you need to be careful when bringing a malcontent onto a roster.  I know, I know, he’s been a great teammate everywhere he’s been according to everyone, but he’s also forced himself off two teams thus far. I think it’s pretty clear he played a large role on some of the offense vs defense rifts we saw this season.

His role in the locker room and just throwing the general vibe off every time he played was worse than any lack of production he had on the field.

And imagine being on a team and telling someone else “don’t come here” and then still having people defending how great of a teammate you were lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Hunt I personally have in the "free agent" category that I don't really consider to be a great pickup, but I'm glad he did. The Jarvis trade was absolutely a good one, but his salary bump is also an example of how even though he's a good pickup, that doesn't automatically make it a good move.

gave up on Corbett too soon also, after obviously scouting him correctly...but was that coaching?  Position on OL?

I have that as a wash given the Teller pickup

Forgive me if I'm underwhelmed by the nerds at this point...Outside of the top 2 rounds of both drafts (and Wills is looking worse than Wirfs) I don't see much

Acquiring a war chest and navigating the cap that gave us Myles, loading up the OL, adding guys like Clowney, JJ3, and picks for future 2nd Rounders like Chubb (Osweiler trade) and JOK (trade up to get him) while actually creating a ton of depth (the secondary and OL) absolutely is a nod to the nerds.

Plenty of cap room, and we get Hill, Johnson, Walker (all of whom have been meh) and a Stefanski that regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Did Stefanski regress or was it Baker or was it both?

I think it's BOTH. The nerds have been awesome at navigating the cap to set us up for a lot of success.

8 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I don’t consider either of those great moves tbh.

Like, Hunt is clearly a great player, but that was known when we signed him.  Tip of the cap for taking the “risk”, but it wasn’t a great find or anything.

Landry has been solid, but I’ll argue he overpaid for what he brings to the table.  He’s slot receiver who lacks top end speed.  He’s been here 4 seasons, has earned like 60 million dollars and has one 1k yard season  and 14 receiving TD’s. And that cost doesn’t include the picks we gave up to get him.  It’s just hard to say he’s been worth it.  People just like him because “culture, fiery, etc” (and I do too for those reasons).

Didn’t they trade him during/after camp in 2019?  That would have been the HC he hired and his staff that also said he stunk, not just Hue and that clown show.

Yeah, unfortunately.  We need more of these later picks to hit.  It’s inexcusable what we’ve pulled from R3-7 over the last couple of seasons if none of these guys ever develop or contribute more than they have thus far.

Plenty of cap room, and we get Hill, Johnson, Walker (all of whom have been meh)

Eh, Hill was solid as was Johnson when used properly (which they figured out later in the season).  And Hill and Walker are cheap FA “hole fillers”.  They’re not average players being signed to huge contracts like Hubbard, Carrie, etc.

and a Stefanski that regressed from year 1 to year 2.

For sure, but if you’re comparing him to what Dorsey gave us it’s a pretty clear choice imo.

I think one has sustainability and the other doesn’t.  At least with the guys we’re discussing.

Would it be wishful thinking to want to provide Baker with as many weapons as possible this coming off season so that there are no excuses for his performance "IF" he were to perform poorly?  I believe it was Kiwi who brought up the idea in another thread to trade for Amari Cooper & Brandon Cooks (with contract restructures of course).  I wouldn't stop there, I would also draft Garrett Wilson with the 15th overall pick.  I believe his would provide Baker with 3 outstanding weapons at receiver & would make teams pay for trying to double cover any of them.  Finding OL depth would also help Baker immensely & telling him that by no means is he to try and tackle anyone no matter how bad he wants to is a must.  Is this too far fetched of an idea?

Peace!!!

6 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Would it be wishful thinking to want to provide Baker with as many weapons as possible this coming off season so that there are no excuses for his performance "IF" he were to perform poorly?  I believe it was Kiwi who brought up the idea in another thread to trade for Amari Cooper & Brandon Cooks (with contract restructures of course).  I wouldn't stop there, I would also draft Garrett Wilson with the 15th overall pick.  I believe his would provide Baker with 3 outstanding weapons at receiver & would make teams pay for trying to double cover any of them.  Finding OL depth would also help Baker immensely & telling him that by no means is he to try and tackle anyone no matter how bad he wants to is a must.  Is this too far fetched of an idea?

Peace!!!

I think the names and how you go about providing the weapons is debatable, but this 100% has to be the plan for this off-season.

I think it’s clear our WR talent isn’t up to par and it’s possible it’s hindering our offense.  Maybe it’s just Baker, but we need to eliminate that variable before coming to any conclusions.

Those dudes will also help whoever the next guy is if it is Baker, so it’s not a poor investment by any means.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the names and how you go about providing the weapons is debatable, but this 100% has to be the plan for this off-season.

I think it’s clear our WR talent isn’t up to par and it’s possible it’s hindering our offense.  Maybe it’s just Baker, but we need to eliminate that variable before coming to any conclusions.

Those dudes will also help whoever the next guy is if it is Baker, so it’s not a poor investment by any means.

Adding weapons, in no particular order:

1. Allows us to gauge Mayfield going into an UFA contract year

2. Meets our biggest area(s) of need

3. Sets up whoever the next QB is if it's not Baker

4. And hopefully not the case, but if we don't do well next year, Stefanski's seat will get hot, and he will need these holes filled as well to see if it's a HIM/SCHEME thing or a QB thing (or both).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Excellent point 

2nd point we beat the reigning afc 

Champ like a drum

3rd just beat Cincinnati this off-season .

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah that OBJ trade was really, really bad.

Coulda just drafted AJ Brown or Debo.

Or Jeffrey Simmons.

And we’d still have had peppers who fits well in this defense.

And on the surface the OBJ trade wasn’t awful, but you need to be careful when bringing a malcontent onto a roster.  I know, I know, he’s been a great teammate everywhere he’s been according to everyone, but he’s also forced himself off two teams thus far. I think it’s pretty clear he played a large role on some of the offense vs defense rifts we saw this season.

His role in the locker room and just throwing the general vibe off every time he played was worse than any lack of production he had on the field.

And imagine being on a team and telling someone else “don’t come here” and then still having people defending how great of a teammate you were lol.

It is WILD to me that this dude is so beloved by teammates where ever he goes despite acting like a total clown show.

Your telling me there arnt Browns players who are pissed at him for basically demanding a trade and forcing his way off this team while trashing the Browns to other players in the process (like Von).

Like...they are all cool with that since they are homies? 

I dont get the OBJ infatuation. The dude is more celebrity than football player at this point in his career and I havent seen another player get held in such high regard for this long for a season he had 6 years ago since Josh Gordon still recieving chances for a season he had 9 years ago.

The dude is basically Emmanual Sanders but gets treated like he is Deandre Hopkins.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It is WILD to me that this dude is so beloved by teammates where ever he goes despite acting like a total clown show.

Your telling me there arnt Browns players who are pissed at him for basically demanding a trade and forcing his way off this team while trashing the Browns to other players in the process (like Von).

Like...they are all cool with that since they are homies? 

I think it’s partly because he’s such a huge celebrity he’s viewed differently by a lot of guys, especially the younger dudes who were in high school when he was destroying teams with the Giants. Now it’s OBJ the celebrity as much as anything.

Do guys care?  I’m sure they do, they just know well enough to shut their mouths and not talk to the media about it.

And he may be a really cool dude to hang out with, shoot the ish with, whatever, and I’m sure he has made plenty of friends who won’t trash talk him, but I’m as close to certain as can be he’s also rubbed some people the wrong way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Here is the real kick in the nads-- the Browns (again) have basically had their name drug through the mud for the last 3 months in regards to 1) Baker being horrible and 2) WRs not getting targets.

I would like to hope it doesnt, but I bet its going to have a impact on the FA WRs who would willing come here after OBJ, his dad and every other talk show/celebrity spent months criticizing the Browns passing attack.

In a perfect would we would sign a guy like Gallup--but would Gallup want to come play in cold weather, in a RB dependent offense with a QB that seems to have issues with getting on the same page with WRs?

Man IDK.

It sounds great to just 'attack the WR position' this offseason, but I have a feeling the top level FAs wont want to come here and the Browns best way to get talent is going to be through the draft.

Hello Garrett Wilson--your our only hope

FIs-oPvXEAIK4O9.jpg

Edited by AkronsWitness

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here is the real kick in the nads-- the Browns (again) have basically had their name drug through the mud for the last 3 months in regards to 1) Baker being horrible and 2) WRs not getting targets.

I would like to hope it doesnt, but I bet its going to have a impact on the FA WRs who would willing come here after OBJ, his dad and every other talk show/celebrity spent months criticizing the Browns passing attack.

In a perfect would we would sign a guy like Gallup--but would Gallup want to come play in cold weather, in a RB dependent offense with a QB that seems to have issues with getting on the same page with WRs?

Man IDK.

It sounds great to just 'attack the WR position' this offseason, but I have a feeling the top level FAs wont want to come here and the Browns best way to get talent is going to be through the draft.

Hello Treylon Burks--your our only hope

FIFY (since I am not a homer) :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DawgX said:

Not really. It's 100% obvious his effort was different here than it was in LA. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to **** on Baker.

this is a bull**** narrative. He was never criticized for not working. He learned two offenses in two seasons and came back from an ACL in due time and fairly strong. Young players like Schwartz praised him for taking them under his wing. His BFF is one of the hardest workers on the team and wouldn't have obliged any slacking. Not wanting to play for the Browns doesn't automatically mean he was slacking as a player. ..which is probably why his teammates still have his back.

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If Baker doesn't nosedive year two Dorsey is still the GM right now and the team is probably contending for the SB.

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think it’s pretty clear he played a large role on some of the offense vs defense rifts we saw this season.

triple-h-hhh.gif

8 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Would it be wishful thinking to want to provide Baker with as many weapons as possible this coming off season so that there are no excuses for his performance "IF" he were to perform poorly? 

More than he had to start this season with?

...it's never going to be enough. ..and acquiring premier talent all together is a spartan race.

15 hours ago, brownie man said:

But what was the reason Odell's motivation was so low here? Was it the city or the fact he was playing with Baker?

He gets here and realizes pretty quickly in 19' this hyped QB is not as good as the one he left.

And he knows he's not going to get big production with this QB.

Has to learn a new offense then another one the next year....and the new offense is run based.

Blows his knee trying to make a tackle after his QB's monumentally bad pick.

The team and the QB actually immediately play better when he's gone.

He's not a fan of the city/locale.

....why wouldn't he privately love to be a Brown?

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 2