2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

33 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Baker had the second highest pass attempts in the NFL with three or more targets open.

could he find them…. No he couldn’t 

The year gets an * because of his multiple injuries imo. 

If he fails this year move on. 

He was fire until he for hurt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Baker had the second highest pass attempts in the NFL with three or more targets open.

could he find them…. No he couldn’t 

Yeah that's likely true because we have so many man beater receivers.

These things are subjective and many don't like Baker so you see that his protection was "great" and his receivers were "open" by certain criteria that is opinion based. We watch the games. Sure there are times he misses receivers who have a step or in a window, every QB does but all in all most plays we see and the replay shows there was nowhere to go with the ball that was safe.

He doesn't have a Jamar Chase who wins 50/50 balls or turns a 2 yard catch into a 70 yard TD. Meanwhile his protection wasn't any better than Burrows but everyone things it is and his receivers aren't close to what Joe has. Keenum isn't terrible, if Baker was terrible Keenum would have lit defenses up. That didn't happen. He made quick safe throws or got sacked most of the time.

We have areas that need addressed. A good QB doesn't solve those issues. Burrowwouldn't have taken us to the SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah that's likely true because we have so many man beater receivers.

These things are subjective and many don't like Baker so you see that his protection was "great" and his receivers were "open" by certain criteria that is opinion based. We watch the games. Sure there are times he misses receivers who have a step or in a window, every QB does but all in all most plays we see and the replay shows there was nowhere to go with the ball that was safe.

He doesn't have a Jamar Chase who wins 50/50 balls or turns a 2 yard catch into a 70 yard TD. Meanwhile his protection wasn't any better than Burrows but everyone things it is and his receivers aren't close to what Joe has. Keenum isn't terrible, if Baker was terrible Keenum would have lit defenses up. That didn't happen. He made quick safe throws or got sacked most of the time.

We have areas that need addressed. A good QB doesn't solve those issues. Burrowwouldn't have taken us to the SB.

Burrow with our OL, Run game and Defence wins us the super bowl 

5 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Burrow with our OL, Run game and Defence wins us the super bowl 

Yeah, that's what a lot of people think. I think they are delusional.

Sure, they is a chance. No one expected the Bengals to be there so anything can happen. Defenses were pretty close. Their offense was clearly better. Burrow was clearly better. But their weapons in the pass game are also clearly better. Mixon is good, not as good as Chubb and our run blocking is better.,Pass blocking is pretty equal and we don't have a Chase and their Higgins is way better and we don't have a Boyd. At best we are equal at T.E.

I think a healthy Baker with the Bengals wins the division. Probably in a runaway. Joe has better legs than Baker and probably extends plays better but man he throws up a lot of 50/40 balls. If Baker did that he'd have 35 interceptions. It's really hard to compare players when receivers actually make plays.

Maybe they don't want to make plays for Baker for some reason. If so we need a new QB or new weapons.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brownie man said:

166 pages and we’re still not sure

Smh

Well we seem to want a top 5 QB every year. That's going to be hard to do.

We used to want a QB that allowed us to be in the conversation every year but now that's not close to good enough so we need a top QB who can be top 3 even when things don't go well so we need to keep looking.

We need a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or we won't be happy. I think we realize that now. So lets mortgage the future every year until we get one of those guys.

What choice do we have?

Lets try Chubb, Garrett, Bitonio, JOK, Ward, Baker and five 1sts for Mahomes. Maybe they'll bite. I'm sure he'll have a better than the 98 rating he had this year with the weapons we'll give him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well we seem to want a top 5 QB every year. That's going to be hard to do.

We used to want a QB that allowed us to be in the conversation every year but now that's not close to good enough so we need a top QB who can be top 3 even when things don't go well so we need to keep looking.

We need a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or we won't be happy. I think we realize that now. So lets mortgage the future every year until we get one of those guys.

What choice do we have?

Lets try Chubb, Garrett, Bitonio, JOK, Ward, Baker and five 1sts for Mahomes. Maybe they'll bite. I'm sure he'll have a better than the 98 rating he had this year with the weapons we'll give him.

I would settle for a top 10-12ish QB, if that was consistent!  I think you can win a SB with that, if most everything else is in place.  I think Baker's ceiling could be that, but not sure if he can be in that top tier year after year.

• Like 1

Someone with this profile would do the trick:

HEIGHT: 6’3”

WEIGHT: 207

POSITIVES

— Good height for the position.

Very good athlete. Can consistently get to the edge and pull away from defenders when scrambling. Valid weapon on designed QB runs.

— Good arm strength. Can drive intermediate throws and attack downfield with deep balls.

Very good movement in the pocket. Stays balanced and is willing and able to progress on concepts and work his eyes to find his throws.

Consistently able to progress through a range of concepts. Shows a deep understanding of the offense.

— Competitive and tough player. Not afraid of the big moment and willing to take shots in the pocket or when running the football. (Emphasis added)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021437-desmond-ridder-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-qb

• Like 1

The pocket assessment of Ridder in that report from Nate Tice is meh.

Imo his biggest issue is basically being little in the pocket. And I wouldn't call him clutch. Maybe he's not afraid of the moment but he doesn't rise to it either.

Here's a bit from my write up on him..

Strengths:

Whip delivery with a strong arm. Shoots lasers and can fit it into tight windows. Twitch runner with open field speed. Progression reader and sees the field. Rumored in week preparer that sits in on coaches meetings. Mature and durable.

Weaknesses:

Struggles under pass pressure and shrinks when space gets tight. Alarmingly mechanical reader and mover. Accuracy can veer into scatter shot.

Overall:

Possesses eye popping tools but automated footwork and mechanics. Despite 37 career starts, Ridder still looks like he's practicing his steps and mechanics out there. That said, he's a toolsy, mature, signal caller that reads the field adequately. He can rip it and hurt you with his feet but can struggle with consistent accuracy and timing.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

The pocket assessment of Ridder in that report from Nate Tice is meh.

Imo his biggest issue is basically being little in the pocket. And I wouldn't call him clutch. Maybe he's not afraid of the moment but he doesn't rise to it either.

Here's a bit from my write up on him..

Strengths:

Whip delivery with a strong arm. Shoots lasers and can fit it into tight windows. Twitch runner with open field speed. Progression reader and sees the field. Rumored in week preparer that sits in on coaches meetings. Mature and durable.

Weaknesses:

Struggles under pass pressure and shrinks when space gets tight. Alarmingly mechanical reader and mover. Accuracy can veer into scatter shot.

Overall:

Possesses eye popping tools but automated footwork and mechanics. Despite 37 career starts, Ridder still looks like he's practicing his steps and mechanics out there. That said, he's a toolsy, mature, signal caller that reads the field adequately. He can rip it and hurt you with his feet but can struggle with consistent accuracy and timing.

Didn't say I want him, just someone with that kind of a profile.

If it is not he, so be it.

• Like 1