SNF: Super Bowl rematch, Falcons at Patriots

titans0021

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Didn't really get a chance to watch as I was at work. Can someone tell me how this was 23-7 and 23-0 at one point? Looking at the final stats, almost everything is even. Pats had only like 55 more total yards, both teams had two punts, no turnovers for either team, penalties are about the same. Actually worse for New England. The only noticeable difference I see is Pats ToP 34 to 26.

Pats finished drives with TDs, Falcons drives stalled and then they missed two FGs. Falcons also failed to convert one key 4th down that gave Pats good field position. Then the Pats had a goalline stand on a different 4th down. Then garbage time yards by Falcons evened up the yards some

Just now, BayRaider said:

Didn't really get a chance to watch as I was at work. Can someone tell me how this was 23-7 and 23-0 at one point? Looking at the final stats, almost everything is even. Pats had only like 55 more total yards, both teams had two punts, no turnovers for either team, penalties are about the same. Actually worse for New England. The only noticeable difference I see is Pats ToP 34 to 26.

Falcons had a blocked field goal, a missed field goal, and the Patriots had a goal line stand. Also the Patriots had better time of possession since they were able to effectively run the ball and gas out the Falcons D. 

The Game probably should have been closer to 23-13. But it was still pretty one sided. 

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

Contrary to what some people would like to tell you, situational football and context matters to to evaluating box score stats.

1.  The Falcons couldn't convert on important situations (FGs, 3rd down, 4th down)

2.  Patriots played two deep safety to end the game and gave up some yards in garbage time.

They only had two punts though. Did they make some massive coaching fails in the red zone?

Sounds like the Super Bowl all over again.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They only had two punts though. Did they make some massive coaching fails in the red zone?

Sounds like the Super Bowl all over again.

Not really. The first missed field goal was just a great play by the Patriots. The second was blindluck. The goal line stand was interesting. You could have run it up the gut or tried a sneak. But the Patriots made an incredible play on a pass and then their was a sweep that was just covered really well. Maybe you could question the playcall on the last play but it wasn't anything egregious. 

It really wasn't like the Super Bowl. It was just a typical Patriots bend but don't break type game. 

27 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What happened? what happened is that Stefon Diggs doesn't play for the Falcons. that's what happened!

I'm surprised that Dion Lewis is getting more carries than Mike Gillislee. why is this?

The Patriots always have a seemingly arbitrary distribution of touches for their backs - some of it is match-up based, some of it is just riding the hot hand.

I have to mention: After last night's game, the Falcons' scoring offense has regressed to 16th in the NFL.  They were #1 in that department. 

An offense with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, D'onta Foreman, Tevin Coleman, Jones, Sanu and Gabriel are putting up 21 points a game. 

I'd like to say the problem is Steve Sarkessian and to a major extent, it is.  But it's more than that.  For as talented as they are, Atlanta needed Kyle Shanahan to have that kind of success and he's gone.  He has been a much much bigger loss for the Falcons than he was a gain for the 49ers.  I fully expect him to be fired in two years.  Half the league should pray their team hires him to be offensive coordinator if that happens, because he's really good at that.  There are a lot of coaches out there that are great as offensive coordinators but not so good at being head coaches.  Romeo Crennell, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips and Hue Jackson are good examples of that.  I think Kyle Shanahan is too. 

29 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I have to mention: After last night's game, the Falcons' scoring offense has regressed to 16th in the NFL.  They were #1 in that department. 

An offense with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, D'onta Foreman, Tevin Coleman, Jones, Sanu and Gabriel are putting up 21 points a game. 

I'd like to say the problem is Steve Sarkessian and to a major extent, it is.  But it's more than that.  For as talented as they are, Atlanta needed Kyle Shanahan to have that kind of success and he's gone.  He has been a much much bigger loss for the Falcons than he was a gain for the 49ers.  I fully expect him to be fired in two years.  Half the league should pray their team hires him to be offensive coordinator if that happens, because he's really good at that.  There are a lot of coaches out there that are great as offensive coordinators but not so good at being head coaches.  Romeo Crennell, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips and Hue Jackson are good examples of that.  I think Kyle Shanahan is too. 

I called this at the start of the season, that Matt would miss Shanahan. Sark's resume isn't all that, is it? Offensive stuff and head coach at USC, where the opposition isn't going to gear you up for NFL. He's WCO,  has worked with coordinators who run similar systems to Shanahan, but he's also used more power-run schemes at times in his offense, which will be a bit of an adjustment. "It's not my job to maintain it, but to improve it," Sarkisian said. "I wouldn't be a competitor if I didn't feel that way." 

Archived