How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East

pf9

On 6/11/2021 at 9:17 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Records are the metric all sports use to determine "best". This applies to NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Boxing, MMA, etc. 

I'm not willing to reinvent that wheel. Win your games and you deserve to be in the playoffs. Win your games and another team with a worse records gets in over you because of their geographical grouping and I have a problem. 

The problem with this is that NFL teams don’t all play each other. In the NBA with such a long season, comparing records is more meaningful.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:40 PM, pf9 said:

Here's an idea.

The NFL should end its longtime way of selling TV rights after the season, calling off deals that were set to begin in 2023.

They would let each individual division sell their own regular season TV rights, similar to how conferences control their own TV rights in college football, and games would not be required to be available over-the-air in the home markets of the participating teams (something that the other major sports leagues have done for decades).

The NFL would only have leaguewide contracts for the playoffs.

@Malfatron, found the thesis.

• Like 3

Under my plan, the TV rights would be assigned to the division of the home team as it is in college football.

This new way of doing TV rights would have the ability to allow every major media conglomerate - ViacomCBS, NBCUniversal, Disney, and WarnerMedia - plus the largest indie media company, Fox Corporation, to get broadcast rights to at least one of the NFL's eight divisions. Some games would be sub-licensed to either NFL Network or Amazon Prime.

And start times for games would be more staggered as they are in college football, because ideally every NFL game would be televised nationally under my plan, like the majority of college football games nowadays.

5 hours ago, pf9 said:

Under my plan, the TV rights would be assigned to the division of the home team as it is in college football.

This new way of doing TV rights would have the ability to allow every major media conglomerate - ViacomCBS, NBCUniversal, Disney, and WarnerMedia - plus the largest indie media company, Fox Corporation, to get broadcast rights to at least one of the NFL's eight divisions. Some games would be sub-licensed to either NFL Network or Amazon Prime.

And guess which Division the broadcasters/providers would clamor over the most?  It would be lop-sided to the point that the other Divisions would lobby to go back to collective bargaining.     

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Holy hell, I just read this. Man. 

I only get on this site about once every 1 or 2 days for short periods and I'm genuinely shocked that this thread has amassed to 6 pages.

Preseason football is our savior fellas and it's only right around the corner.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

And guess which Division the broadcasters/providers would clamor over the most?  It would be lop-sided to the point that the other Divisions would lobby to go back to collective bargaining.     

The NFL could make rules to prevent that from happening, thus requiring all divisions be treated equally.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, pf9 said:

The NFL could make rules to prevent that from happening, thus requiring all divisions be treated equally.

Aren't they doing that now with regards to the TV money.  Every team gets an equal sized piece of the pie regardless of how much they contributed (I'm lookin' at you, Jacksonville). 

• Like 2

I feel the NFL could be headed for being broken up if they don't start treating all 32 teams equally in terms of national TV exposure in every single non-Sunday afternoon slot.

What's going to stop the 10 former AFL teams from reforming the league, over 50 years after its last game? Nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, pf9 said:

What's going to stop the 10 former AFL teams from reforming the league, over 50 years after its last game? Nothing.

Why would any of those 10 teams even remotely consider this?

Collectively, the 32 NFL owners are making more money per year than even the biggest Fortune 100 Companies, more than entire countries in some cases. The name of the game is money, that is all that matters to the owners - if they felt they'd maximize profits by having NYG vs Dallas on EVERY SINGLE televised game, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd do it with absolutely no hesitation. The other 30 owners would happily sign off on it... and deposit their billion dollar TV checks in the process.

You really don't seem to understand why these owners own franchises. They're not football fans, they're business owners - and business is booming for them. As long as they're booking record profits, making more money than entire countries? They don't really care about national TV exposure.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, pf9 said:

TV revenue is divided equally. So, all divisions ARE treated equally in the one metric that matters (Money).

While I'm here, a reminder to you:

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You really don't seem to understand why these owners own franchises. They're not football fans, they're business owners - and business is booming for them. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

You really don't seem to understand why these owners own franchises. They're not football fans, they're business owners - and business is booming for them. 

Im sure plenty of them are football fans. Just like you or I. But priority 1 will be their business/job. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Im sure plenty of them are football fans. Just like you or I. But priority 1 will be their business/job. 

Their fandom doesn't equate into these decisions is my overarching point. 

• Like 1