How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East

pf9

On 5/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, pf9 said:

It's simple. As a primetime game featuring an NFC East team approaches, high profile players from the opponents should make it clear that they will sit out the game to protest the amount of undeserved coverage the NFC East receives.

Like Tom Brady can make a statement saying he'd rather be playing against the Dolphins, a team he is very familiar with as a former Patriot, than the Cowboys, in the kickoff game, and thus refuse to play against the Cowboys.

The more this happens, the more likely the NFL will realize they are overexposing the NFC East, and reduce the amount of primetime games and 4:25 DH features non-playoff NFC East teams, get. And even then, the playoff teams out of the NFC East need to have a good amount of wins.

It will also show that ratings aren't everything, and the league needs to emphasize performance-based criteria in awarding teams primetime, especially SNF.

The snub of the 10-6 Dolphins on the SNF schedule but giving the 6-10 Cowboys three appearances to start should be a breaking point.

I didn't realize the Dolphins were 10-6 last year... but low and behold, they really were. Nuts.

On 6/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, Matts4313 said:

You realize this is such a new phenomena that its almost not worth even talking about? Were not that far removed from your division being 1 team and 3 dumpster fires. 

Give it a season or two and things will balance themselves back out. 

It does come off as picking on the NFC East, but the sentiment applies to the NFL as a whole. The best teams should make the playoffs regardless of division. 

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It does come off as picking on the NFC East, but the sentiment applies to the NFL as a whole. The best teams should make the playoffs regardless of division. 

You have to take into account the fact though that some divisions face a much tougher schedule than others from year to year, and some teams within those divisions also face a tougher schedule than others in the same division, so records don't necessarily reflect who the "best teams" are.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You have to take into account the fact though that some divisions face a much tougher schedule than others from year to year, and some teams within those divisions also face a tougher schedule than others in the same division, so records don't necessarily reflect who the "best teams" are.

Records are the metric all sports use to determine "best". This applies to NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Boxing, MMA, etc. 

I'm not willing to reinvent that wheel. Win your games and you deserve to be in the playoffs. Win your games and another team with a worse records gets in over you because of their geographical grouping and I have a problem. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Records are the metric all sports use to determine "best". This applies to NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Boxing, MMA, etc. 

I'm not willing to reinvent that wheel. Win your games and you deserve to be in the playoffs. Win your games and another team with a worse records gets in over you because of their geographical grouping and I have a problem. 

Yeah, that'll never happen in the NFL, which makes sense.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not to mention health, last year our teams where beat to hell. 

8 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I don't know about "reinventing the wheel" by changing how the league does things.  Their system, though not flawless, is pretty fair right now.  At the same time, what @HTTRDynasty said does have some truth.  Some divisions have been bad for a long time, and others are usually fairly competitive.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, Matts4313 said:

Tanny wasnt as big a deal at A&M. 

What state were you in when Tannehill played? I'm not even in SEC country an I know that's not right. he was the consensus 3rd QB after Luck and RG III. I'll give you that he was not as flashy as a certain alcoholic Heisman Trophy winner, but Tannehill was a big deal in 2011 and a top 10 draft pick in 2012. The guy who was overshadowed, because of RG III, was Weeden.

J

7 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

What state were you in when Tannehill played? I'm not even in SEC country an I know that's not right. he was the consensus 3rd QB after Luck and RG III. I'll give you that he was not as flashy as a certain alcoholic Heisman Trophy winner, but Tannehill was a big deal in 2011 and a top 10 draft pick in 2012. The guy who was overshadowed, because of RG III, was Weeden.

J

Texas. 

Here's an idea.

The NFL should end its longtime way of selling TV rights after the season, calling off deals that were set to begin in 2023.

They would let each individual division sell their own regular season TV rights, similar to how conferences control their own TV rights in college football, and games would not be required to be available over-the-air in the home markets of the participating teams (something that the other major sports leagues have done for decades).

The NFL would only have leaguewide contracts for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Here's an idea.

The NFL should end its longtime way of selling TV rights after the season, calling off deals that were set to begin in 2023.

They would let each individual division sell their own regular season TV rights, similar to how conferences control their own TV rights in college football, and games would not be required to be available over-the-air in the home markets of the participating teams (something that the other major sports leagues have done for decades).

The NFL would only have leaguewide contracts for the playoffs.

Lol. Whelp, you just got rid of the Chargers ever getting to watch a game in Cali if the Cowboys are playing. Possibly the Rams and Raiders as well. 

Your plan just makes it worse.