How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East

pf9

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Why shouldn't they? 

because my personal opinion is that I'd rather see the "best" teams play - not a team that old people like, but have no actual stakes on the current season

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

because my personal opinion is that I'd rather see the "best" teams play - not a team that old people like, but have no actual stakes on the current season

But you dont know who the best teams are until half way thru the season. Did anyone see Buffalo winning 13 last year? What should happen is that the 2nd half of the season needs to be moved more often to give the hot teams primetime. But then again you get teams like the Steelers who start 11-0 before bottoming out who put out bad primetime games.

• Like 2

Meh, as Forge explained, it’s a business and the decision is 100% understandable. I hate all the NFCE games a lot myself but it kind of gives you a break from watching primetime if they both suck (and this goes for any bad teams not just the NFCE). Hard to dedicate like 17 Sunday Nights in a row. Maybe 13. Catch the others in condensed format. 

Wayyy in the future I could see sports streaming and A.I. going to a whole nother level. 

For example: You watch Redzone and want to save Bucs vs Chiefs (random example) for the Sunday Night game. The service makes sure not to show you any of that game during redzone nor any box scores, and then puts it on for you as the Sunday Night game with the NBC scorecards. 

A.I. is gonna make the future nuts. 

• Like 1

What are you talking about? The NFL only gave the Eagles 2 primetime games. That would be the fewest since after Andy Reid's first season when they went 5-11.

They gave Washington and New York 3. Both can contend for the division.

Cowboys got 5, but its the Cowboys. Like it or not... they are the most popular team in the NFL.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:49 PM, pf9 said:

It's simple. As a primetime game featuring an NFC East team approaches, high profile players from the opponents should make it clear that they will sit out the game to protest the amount of undeserved coverage the NFC East receives.

Like Tom Brady can make a statement saying he'd rather be playing against the Dolphins, a team he is very familiar with as a former Patriot, than the Cowboys, in the kickoff game, and thus refuse to play against the Cowboys.

The more this happens, the more likely the NFL will realize they are overexposing the NFC East, and reduce the amount of primetime games and 4:25 DH features non-playoff NFC East teams, get. And even then, the playoff teams out of the NFC East need to have a good amount of wins.

It will also show that ratings aren't everything, and the league needs to emphasize performance-based criteria in awarding teams primetime, especially SNF.

The snub of the 10-6 Dolphins on the SNF schedule but giving the 6-10 Cowboys three appearances to start should be a breaking point.

Every single NFCE team is in competition for one of the most popular teams in the entire world. Not saying #1, but people have a vested interest. Its been that way for 60 years. The only thing that needs to stop is people complaining like this post. You dont have to watch on a sunday night, but a lot of people do want too.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What are you talking about? The NFL only gave the Eagles 2 primetime games. That would be the fewest since after Andy Reid's first season when they went 5-11.

They gave Washington and New York 3. Both can contend for the division.

Cowboys got 5, but its the Cowboys. Like it or not... they are the most popular team in the NFL.

Their are only 4 American franchises that carry the sports world. Yankees, Lakers, Celtics and Cowboys. 

The OP fails to realize that 90% of sports is driven by them. Just turn on Fox sports, ESPN, youtube, whatever. Even if your team is the 85 bears, the media and fans dont seem to care more than a yankee redsox game.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, Forge said:

Teams share revenue. 

A large chunk of the revenue stems from TV deals which are negotiated based on part in ratings. 

The NFC east (and Dallas specifically), generate higher ratings fairly consistently. 

NFL owners are businessmen and women who like to make money. 

High ratings may not be everything, but they are pretty damn important. 

And frankly, players can put whatever power they have (which isn't a lot) to much better use, especially since the ratings impact their bottom line in salaries as well

I tried pointing out the same thing to pf9 in another thread a few weeks ago.

The NFL has a shared revenue which determines the cap space each year. So I find it funny that people will laugh and make jokes about the Chargers or Jags not selling tix but then complain about the largest markets getting the most air time when those teams are essentially helping to balance the average and create more cap space for their favorite teams.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Their are only 4 American franchises that carry the sports world. Yankees, Lakers, Celtics and Cowboys. 

The OP fails to realize that 90% of sports is driven by them. Just turn on Fox sports, ESPN, youtube, whatever. Even if your team is the 85 bears, the media and fans dont seem to care more than a yankee redsox game.

I wouldn’t include the Celtics in there, but the other 3 certainly.

• Like 3

I feel that if the Cowboys really want all those primetime games on the initial schedule, they need to earn them with 11, if not 12 wins or more in a season.

I feel the Dolphins earned one, if not two NBC games by being a 10-6 team that just missed the playoffs, It has been a long time, if it ever happened, that a team was kept out of the flagship primetime package despite being 10-6 or better but did not make the playoffs.

NBC's station in Miami, WTVJ, should make it known they are not pleased with this snub of the Dolphins by pre empting SNF initially for movies, then starting in October, Florida Panthers games sublicensed from and produced by Bally Sports Florida. The only way the station should permit an SNF game on their airwaves this year is if the Dolphins do get flexed into an SNF slot later in the season.

Ironically, the Panthers rarely, if ever appeared on WTVJ through NBC coverage because the team was not considered as marketable by the network.

Back in 2001, the Cowboys, coming off the first of three straight 5-11 seasons, were given just two night games (outside of Thanksgiving), and just one of them was on ABC.

If the NFL felt the Cowboys didn't earn five night games in 2001, then certainly they can feel this sentiment in 2021.

• Like 1

And if the Cowboys pull a 2008 Lions/2017 Browns, the NFL will look certainly foolish for giving them five primetime games (outside Thanksgiving) this year. Doing this might actually cost the Cowboys their SNF slot against Washington in Week 16.

6 minutes ago, pf9 said:

And if the Cowboys pull a 2008 Lions/2017 Browns, the NFL will look certainly foolish for giving them five primetime games (outside Thanksgiving) this year. Doing this might actually cost the Cowboys their SNF slot against Washington in Week 16.

Your argument seems to be against my team, so I will be your huckleberry. There are a lot of examples of the Cowboys being the top draw on TV (outside of award shows). By proxy that carries over to the East, 9ers and steelers. If we get yanked its because we are as pathetic as last year, but if we even have a shot at the playoffs, we are the biggest draw in the NFL.

3 teams in the AFC North draw the same if not better than the NFC East, so I’ve always hated that argument. Throw in the Bears and Packers in the NFC North, and the narrative in 2021 about past geographic relevancy is antiquated.