MVP leaders at this point.

resilient part 2

5 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

So realistically, what does it take for Antonio Brown to win MVP?

I'm seeing a lot of talk about it from fans and even quite a bit from writers for ESPN and the like as him being in serious contention right now.

People are jumping on the hype train which might help, and I think he may end up getting some votes, but what will it take to push him over the edge?

I think it would take less than what many are saying. I think he can come close to winning it next week, honestly. Have a big game against New England, have the Steelers win, and have Brady have a....maybe not bad game, but at least an unimpressive one. And I think it would tilt the conversation to Brown. Having a head to head matchup against the Pats is really advantageous to Brown. The right things happening on a national stage all at once can have a huge impact.

On the flip side, if Brady has a big game or Brown has a down game or even if Brown has just a normal game and the Steelers lose, that'll pretty much end that line of dialogue, I think.

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think it would take less than what many are saying. I think he can come close to winning it next week, honestly. Have a big game against New England, have the Steelers win, and have Brady have a....maybe not bad game, but at least an unimpressive one. And I think it would tilt the conversation to Brown. Having a head to head matchup against the Pats is really advantageous to Brown. The right things happening on a national stage all at once can have a huge impact.

On the flip side, if Brady has a big game or Brown has a down game or even if Brown has just a normal game and the Steelers lose, that'll pretty much end that line of dialogue, I think.

Unless he does something historic or is just shy of doing something historic this season, he's probably not getting it.

28 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I agree. Like Adrian Peterson having a great game against the Packers in week 17 in 2012 to ****** the MVP award from Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers (despite Rodgers going 28-40 for 365 yards, 4 TDs, 0 ints, and a passer rating of 131.8). Peterson got a signature victory late in the year and led his team into the playoffs--although it was later in the year. I think Brown needs to have a monster game, the Steelers need to win, and then they need to finish ahead of the Patriots at season's end.

43 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I agree. Like Adrian Peterson having a great game against the Packers in week 17 in 2012 to ****** the MVP award from Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers (despite Rodgers going 28-40 for 365 yards, 4 TDs, 0 ints, and a passer rating of 131.8). Peterson got a signature victory late in the year and led his team into the playoffs--although it was later in the year. I think Brown needs to have a monster game, the Steelers need to win, and then they need to finish ahead of the Patriots at season's end.

I agree with this, as for a non QB to win MVP nowadays, it will take quite a year. Brown needs I would guess 6 more TD's and average 150+ yards a game.  Losing to the pats won't help either, and considering the history of the steelers losing to the pats, this is looking more improbable.  I just don't see how Browns stats will overwhelm the voters in the QB voter bias league. The QB's had an off year you could say, but wilson played really good yet might not make the playoffs.

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If I had a vote, I'd strongly consider Brown. The numbers are stupifyingly good, he's doing it against double and triple coverage, and he's making huge plays with the game on the line.

Brady is Brady is Brady is Brady, but AB absolutely deserves mention (and is pretty much the unquestioned OPOY).

whispers

No he's not.

runs away after leaving the Baltimore/Pittsburgh all-22 footage at ET's feet.

It's still Brady, and will be unless he has another down game this week.    Antonio Brown is one of the few receivers in history I could justify giving the award to though.  I suppose Russell Wilson has a good case, but he's still behind Brady and Wentz IMO.  Wentz obviously hurt and won't get it.

I do think that if Brady has another bad game or two, Wilson will get it unless he also has some bad games. 

Brown needs an enormous game in prime time against the Patriots (As well as a victory), and then to finish off with big games to close out the season.

I don't see it happening, unless they beat the Patriots, and he averages something like 155 yards per game and breaks the yardage record

22 hours ago, kethnaab said:

Brown needs an enormous game in prime time against the Patriots (As well as a victory), and then to finish off with big games to close out the season.

I don't see it happening, unless they beat the Patriots, and he averages something like 155 yards per game and breaks the yardage record

Brown won't get it with another player like Bell getting 2,000 total yds himself. Won't happen no matter what he does IMO.

It's going to a QB like Brady, Wilson or possibly even Rivers if he goes nuts the next 3 weeks and also wins the AFCW after a 0-4 start while the other two falter.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:22 AM, kethnaab said:

If they beat the Patriots there will be two games left and they will have a two game lead on the Patriots plus the tie breaker. Which means they would have clinched the number 1 seed and have no real reason to play out the remaining two games. 

I don't think Brady's played particularly well since bruising his achilles, but: his early season play + Pats record + Brady pull = 100% lockdown.

At least now that Brown is out for the next week and probably another week.

Honestly, though... I'd vote for Aaron Donald.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

After today, Gurley deserves strong consideration. To me it’s a two horse race between Brady and Gurley. 

It's Brady. Every year like two or three guys are the favorites most of the season, then one drops off, and in the last couple of weeks someone brings up someone else. That guy never gets it. 

The last 3 weeks were probably the most pivotal to Brady's MVP case it was probably the most lackluster 3 weeks of his season. But in my mind his main rival was Wentz, and then the Eagles lost one game which took away the biggest part of his argument, then the next week Wentz went down, and that week and this week Foles looked good leading the Eagles to victories. Wilson was probably the next closest and the last two weeks were losses and one of them he looked horrible in. And then Antonio Brown had a very fringe shot of Brady played just okay the rest of the way and Brown played magnificent. And Brown went down this week and his team lost and he's likely out next week too. 

Archived