Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

No Jordan Berry tonight? Not that I matters after Harvins performance.

Jaylen Samuels seems like a lock to get cut. What’s up with Snell?

Snell could be replaced by pretty much anyone....even a RB currently on the fringe roster.

I dont hate Snell or anything....but he is JAG.

35 minutes ago, 43M said:

Snell could be replaced by pretty much anyone....even a RB currently on the fringe roster.

I dont hate Snell or anything....but he is JAG.

I agree I’m more asking why hasn’t he been practicing/what’s going on with him? I don’t think it’s an injury, I’m not even sure if he’s been with the team or not. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Mason has accuracy but a below average NFL arm.

I think his arm is fine. He throws a pretty deep ball, like the one to Chase last night. Everywhere else is where he’s lacking however. I have faith he can make all the throws but no faith he can lead the offense down the field consistently. 

35 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think his arm is fine. He throws a pretty deep ball, like the one to Chase last night. Everywhere else is where he’s lacking however. I have faith he can make all the throws but no faith he can lead the offense down the field consistently. 

No pocket presence and slow progressions. That’s Masons biggest issue. 

Also the Round Mound of Punt Town is gonna beat out Berry. Or should easily. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

He can't zip that ball to a 1 foot window to a receiver in a out pattern.  He lacks the arm strength.  He can make the throw but it has no zip .  Thus a below average NFL arm.  He has always thrown a pretty deep ball but it is a rainbow and his receivers get it.

Haskins has that arm strength but does he have the accuracy?  And as @warfelg said, does he have the other intangibles like quick decision making.

Dobbs has the arm but not the accuracy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Even if Rudolph can throw the ball FAR, he has a below average arm in terms of driving the ball into tight windows.   Its hurt him numerous times.   His throws dont have any real zip on them when they need it.   Meanwhile, Haskins and even Dobbs can do it with ease.

In reality, there is nothing Rudolph does notably well.  Id keep both Haskins and Dobbs over him for a few reasons...

1)  Haskins may not be better than Rudolph, but he has upside, while Rudolph is what he is.   Id give Haskins a full season to see what he can do.

2)  Dobbs may not be better on the field, but he is a smarter player and more valuable to the locker room and on the sidelines.

3)  Rudolph will never be a guy that WINS games for us.   Ever.   At most, he is someone that wont LOSE games...but is he even THAT?  

4)   If we somehow find ourselves desperate for the QB services of Mason Rudolph in the future...chances are, he will be available.   If not him, someone equally as mediocre.

Lets face it....he wasnt even that much better than UDFA rookie Devlin Hodges.    

• Like 1

The question to summarize arm talent: Can the player throw the 10-15 yard out from the oppo hash in the NFL?

Rudolph: No, not consistently. Ball doesn't get on the receiver quick enough. Needs to be a money throw every time in advantages sets. 

Haskins: All day, every day. But are his feet in the right position consistency to keep the ball from pulling back into the field and towards a defender? 

Dobbs: Yes, but he grew up as the kid who cannot hit the stop sign with a snowball. You don't change accuracy as an ability, you can just get more consistent. 

I’m actually glad he is requesting the trade. I don’t know that the Steelers would have done it on their own. 

Goes back to my comment about Rosenhaus at camp last week. Hopefully we get done good asset back. I doubt we would get much as a comp pick though. 

I suggested trading Washington this offseason.    We might as well get something for him.    Washington will essentially be behind Juju, Claypool, DJ, Friermuth, Ebron and Harris when it comes to touches.   Outside of saying "well, someone might get injured...", there is literally no reason NOT to trade him.   He wont be resigned and at most, he would a 20 catch guy.

He has more talent than that.

Trade him and get a pick or maybe a depth player at DB or RB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Trade him for a depth guy or get a 5th/6th rounder for him.

Then go out and try to sign a vet FA for depth.

Agree, but id wait for cut downs to make the move. Give the young guys snaps the rest of the way and then grab a vet whose making $4-6m whose about to lose his job for a guy making $850k. 

His only real value is that he’s buried on the Steelers WR corps. That’s not to say I think he’s not good, or could be really good on another team. I just don’t think he has a ton of trade value. If we can get a 5th for him, that’s a huge win. We could also keep him if no deals materialize. It stinks for Wash, but it could happen.