Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

KJ Wright and Avery Williamson are still out there....for now.   Id look at one of them.   Even if neither are great, they are better than what we have.

There should also be a cut or two that could be upgrades.   

I was thinking we might add a player at RB or CB, but Im thinkin we are more likely to add an ILB at this point.     Thats the weakest part of our defense now.    Hopefully Bush grows a little, but coming off an injury it may set him back.     Spillane is a glorified backup who makes the occasional nice play.   We have nothing behind that.

My guess is they bring back Avery Williamson, but who the hell knows.  

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

My guess is they bring back Avery Williamson, but who the hell knows

Nice part about Williamson, provided he is still available in a few weeks, is he won’t need runway time get up to speeding the defense since he was in it already. 

Im trying to scour teams as potential trade swaps for Washington player for player…might need to add ILB to the shopping list. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Nice part about Williamson, provided he is still available in a few weeks, is he won’t need runway time get up to speeding the defense since he was in it already. 

Im trying to scour teams as potential trade swaps for Washington player for player…might need to add ILB to the shopping list. 

I was thinking of the same thing.   If we ship Washington off, I have a feeling it will be for a mid round pick.     I would honestly prefer a player for player trade and maybe get someone with okay upside at DB or ILB.  

• Like 1

I'd rather put Johnson out there to start at ILB and see what they have.

Spillane is a guy you need to hide in your scheme and who needs to be off the field in passing situations. He's not going to shine in pre-season. He's not even as athletic as Vince Williams was.

14 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'd rather put Johnson out there to start at ILB and see what they have.

Spillane is a guy you need to hide in your scheme and who needs to be off the field in passing situations. He's not going to shine in pre-season. He's not even as athletic as Vince Williams was.

I pretty much feel the same way. I’ll give Spillane a shot next to Bush, but once Buddy gets ahold of the defense, he needs to be starting.

30 minutes ago, August4th said:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

I really hope this is purely about reps…but doesn’t feel like it. Chuks and Banner both immediately assumed their spots once they retuned. They might have more years in the league but Dotson has the second most starts and snaps on this team. Hoping it’s nothing, but doesn’t feel like nothing. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

I really hope this is purely about reps…but doesn’t feel like it. Chuks and Banner both immediately assumed their spots once they retuned. They might have more years in the league but Dotson has the second most starts and snaps on this team. Hoping it’s nothing, but doesn’t feel like nothing. 

This feels a little like motivating a young 2nd year player who’s been out with an injury by Tomlin. Dotson was great last year and it’s not like he’s had an opportunity to do anything wrong yet (unless the report of him showing up to camp out of shape we’re true, but that was kind of debunked on Twitter). Still have hard time believing Dotson isn’t the day 1 starter at LG. We still over a month until Buffalo.

25 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This feels a little like motivating a young 2nd year player who’s been out with an injury by Tomlin. Dotson was great last year and it’s not like he’s had an opportunity to do anything wrong yet (unless the report of him showing up to camp out of shape we’re true, but that was kind of debunked on Twitter). Still have hard time believing Dotson isn’t the day 1 starter at LG. We still over a month until Buffalo.

I’ll add that Tomlin listed as 1st team LG when camp opened. It’s pretty unlikely he did anything wrong in the off-season. It’s all just kinda odd.