2020 Tokyo Olympics

NateDawg

Was an avid fan of the Olympics in the 60s, especially the boxing.

Until the black glove isht happened.

It lost it's appeal to me rather quickly when it became politicized.

And now it includes air rifles? 😒

13 hours ago, bruceb said:

Was an avid fan of the Olympics in the 60s, especially the boxing.

Until the black glove isht happened.

It lost it's appeal to me rather quickly when it became politicized.

And now it includes air rifles? 😒

How dare those athletes who sacrifice so much to represent their country express their opinion on how people who look like them are treated in their country. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

How dare those athletes who sacrifice so much to represent their country express their opinion on how people who look like them are treated in their country. 

Not what they are there for.

Not the right stage.

"The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play."

https://olympics.com/ioc/beyond-the-games

They are there to represent their country. If they cannot do that without upstaging and diminishing the event by injecting their personal political preferences/prejudices, they should not be there.

• Like 3

They are representing their country. A flawed and beautiful one full of wildly divergent life experiences that many, even those who live here, do not fully understand.

These athletes have earned their right to represent their country however they wish. Nothing about expressing themselves diminishes the Olympics.

Pretending the Olympics is something pure, and not a thoroughly exploitative money grab for some of the most corrupt and abhorrent people on earth? Wouldn't be me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

They are representing their country. A flawed and beautiful one full of wildly divergent life experiences that many, even those who live here, do not fully understand.

These athletes have earned their right to represent their country however they wish. Nothing about expressing themselves diminishes the Olympics.

Pretending the Olympics is something pure, and not a thoroughly exploitative money grab for some of the most corrupt and abhorrent people on earth? Wouldn't be me.

That's the main reason I don't watch the Olympics.

What i dont understand is why you yanks are so big on free speech, a part from when someone actually uses it.

Why do people get so offended by differing opinions? 

My parents in law are anti vax, pro trump, believe every conspiracy theory in existence, dont believe in covid, but they get very off put when I challenge them on things. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

What i dont understand is why you yanks are so big on free speech, a part from when someone actually uses it.

Why do people get so offended by differing opinions? 

My parents in law are anti vax, pro trump, believe every conspiracy theory in existence, dont believe in covid, but they get very off put when I challenge them on things. 

My guess is it's because you are condescending and offensive. My guess is it's because you speak to them as if you know better and they are "conspiracy theorists". You couple that with the casual inference that being "pro Trump" gotta hand in hand in with all those statements.

The fact that you use this lazy insulting language is probably a clue as to why people seem "offended", as you claim.

The way you frame this is incredibly neat and clean, too neat and clean. 

Most "anti vax" (a sneaky way to box in folks with many different beliefs into one box, as is the conspiracy theory stuff) I know believe Covid exists. They just don't trust the government. They notice the inconsistency, the history of poor ethics... I'd go on pointing out facts of what world governments (and the United States in particular) is guilty of doing to its own people in the past, but I expect at some point you would just use it to put me in a box as well and wonder "why is Tayne so offended".

Scientists and doctors are routinely censored while one side parrots catchphrases like "trust the science." Folks argue the data itself and are called names like "conspiracy theorist". Just look at how one side is being allowed to behave on this site, including moderators.

Take or leave, of course, but I would suggest your statement about free speech couldn't be more inaccurate. Free speech is under fire in America and much of the world. The fact that you appear to be questioning this...I don't know what to tell you, man. 

If you'd like to speak a little on this, in PM even, I'm willing to hear you out, but I don't want to do the pile-on game, as that is the pattern pretty everywhere, including these subforums.

$0.02

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

My guess is it's because you are condescending and offensive. My guess is it's because you speak to them as if you know better and they are "conspiracy theorists". You couple that with the casual inference that being "pro Trump" gotta hand in hand in with all those statements.

PM me Nudes.

Edited by Kiwibrown
Edit for too much political crap from kiwi.
  • Like 3