Should We Trade Pryor before the Deadline?

MKnight82

I haven’t seen anything that says what the Browns offered for Pryor. If all they were offering was a late round pick or condidtonal pick, then I don’t blame us for retaining him and hoping that he and Kirk find chemistry the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I haven’t seen anything that says what the Browns offered for Pryor. If all they were offering was a late round pick or condidtonal pick, then I don’t blame us for retaining him and hoping that he and Kirk find chemistry the second half of the season.

What do you think you were going to get out of Pryor? He's lost.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Uh, if its a 7th, its more than we're getting from him after this year. 

He's not re-signing here. 

He's taking up a roster spot from someone who actually can PLAY receiver. 

We signed him to a 1 year deal and he sucks. So we're not going to have him next year. And the rest of this year, he's going to be just as invisible. 

So, even if its a 7th, its more than what we'll get from/for him next year.

On 11/12/2017 at 12:54 PM, turtle28 said:

http://www.redskins.com/news/blog/article-1/Snap-Counts-Redskins-Vikings-2017-Regular-Season-Week-10/3917ef02-c57e-4544-8c19-c329afe0a3db

QUARTERBACK
Kirk Cousins 75			100%

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Shawn Lauvao 75			100%
Morgan Moses 75			100%
Trent Williams 75		100%
Brandon Scherff 73		97.3%
Chase Roullier 65		86.7%
Spencer Long 12			16.0%
Ty Nsekhe 3			 4.0%

RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS
Josh Doctson 69			92.0%
Vernon Davis 64			85.3%
Jamison Crowder 60		80.0%
Maurice Harris 41		54.7%
Terrelle Pryor Sr. 28		37.3%
Jeremy Sprinkle 23		30.7%
Ryan Grant 9			12.0%

RUNNING BACKS
Chris Thompson 45		60.0%
Samaje Perine 20		26.7%
Rob Kelley 10			13.3%
Ryan Anderson 3			 4.0%

It is kind of hard to find that chemistry if you're only on the field a third of the time.

Even if they were offering a late round pick, at least it would have been something. Keeping Pryor was trying to save face, not improving the team. Honestly, is there any reason why Pryor's snaps couldn't go to Harris or Grant and be just as productive or more so? And I will admit that writing that last sentence blows my mind, but that's where we are.

Pro Football Reference shows Pryor's snap count at a 64.4% for the season and a catch rate of 54.1%. Compared to Crowder's snap count at 67.8% and a catch rate of 59.3%. Maybe it's chemistry but 2 guys on the field at the same time that catch about half their targets isn't good. Doctson is going to improve and as a deep threat 50% (where he is now) really isn't bad. 

link: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017-snap-counts.htm

Pryor has unbelievable size and speed, but there are a few reasons he hasn’t worked out here. He’s not a good match for Cousins because he is slow to separate so the initial reads are he is covered. Kirk does have a problem that he is a bit risk averse and even if a guy is one in one and looks covered Kirk usually looks for a guy more open. Pryor also is soft going over the middle and has short armed several potential catches. And then the drops. These all combine to him be a secondary option for Kirk

hes better off going somewhere else like Detroit or Giants where QB’s like stafford and Manning throw to receivers who appear covered. That’s also why Kirk has less interceptions than these guys 

18 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Pro Football Reference shows Pryor's snap count at a 64.4% for the season and a catch rate of 54.1%. Compared to Crowder's snap count at 67.8% and a catch rate of 59.3%. Maybe it's chemistry but 2 guys on the field at the same time that catch about half their targets isn't good. Doctson is going to improve and as a deep threat 50% (where he is now) really isn't bad. 

link: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017-snap-counts.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PryoTe00/fantasy/2017

Week 1 - 84.1%
Week 2 - 73.2%
Week 3 - 83.8%
Week 4 - 86.0%
Week 6 - 82.4%

Week 7 - 46.9%
Week 8 - 32.2%
Week 9 - 55.6%
Week 10 - 37.3%  [past four weeks: 43.0% ... note this isn't exact since I'm averaging the percentages and not the actual snap counts, but it's a rough measure]

His catch rate is pretty even across the games (high of 66.7%, low of 50%), it's just that his target numbers are dropping as well. First 5 = 11, 4, 4, 5, 5 (5.8/game), Last 4 = 4, 1, 3, 0 (2.0/game). They are phasing him out, but chose not to trade him because ... ?

On 11/14/2017 at 12:09 AM, Doc Draper said:

Pryor has unbelievable size and speed, but there are a few reasons he hasn’t worked out here. He’s not a good match for Cousins because he is slow to separate so the initial reads are he is covered. Kirk does have a problem that he is a bit risk averse and even if a guy is one in one and looks covered Kirk usually looks for a guy more open. Pryor also is soft going over the middle and has short armed several potential catches. And then the drops. These all combine to him be a secondary option for Kirk

hes better off going somewhere else like Detroit or Giants where QB’s like stafford and Manning throw to receivers who appear covered. That’s also why Kirk has less interceptions than these guys 

They’re not going to trade him.

I agree with what you said about Kirk not throwing enough contested balls but he does seem to be doing more of that lately. He’s thrown some to Doctson this year, to Crowder (he’s dropped them), Davis, Reed and he threw a contested ball to Harris vs the Vikings for Harris’s one handed TD grab. I really wish they’d give Pryor more of a shot on quick hitting routes, crossing routes, slants and deep routes instead of trying to ask him to be Djax, which is something he was never going to be. If Doctson and Pryor only get a few targets a game there’s just no way we can expect them to develop a chemistry with Kirk like Djax & Garcon developed over 3 years of playing with him. Kirk needs to target them more and we need to get them involved in the quick game early in the game so they can get easy receptions, and get their confidence up which will allow them to use their size, speed and strength after the catch to pick up more yards and it will set up deep shots to them later in the game like we used to do with Djax and we did with Doctson vs the Raiders.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:06 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Uh, if its a 7th, its more than we're getting from him after this year. 

He's not re-signing here. 

He's taking up a roster spot from someone who actually can PLAY receiver. 

We signed him to a 1 year deal and he sucks. So we're not going to have him next year. And the rest of this year, he's going to be just as invisible. 

So, even if its a 7th, its more than what we'll get from/for him next year.

He can play, Gruden just isn’t putting him in a position to succeed. They’re not using him in the ways that Cle used him last year. I have no idea why? That’s what the waste is. There’s no way a guy can do what he did in CLE last year both as a receiver and runner and not be able to play receiver. We all saw him abuse Norman in the first half of last years game vs the Browns but Gruden isn’t having him run those same routes. As an Ohio state fan I’ve watched him more closely than anyone in this forum over the last decade. They need to get the ball to him quick and let him him use his size and speed to get yac after he makes an easy catch at the line of scrimmage or within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, on shallow crosses and the occasional deep ball.

Archived