2021 receiving corps will be the best Rodgers has ever had. Even better than 2011!

St Vince

I never make threads but I think this could be a good discussion. We all remember the vaunted 2011 receiving corps that made sports Illustrated and at the time was the best in Packers history. But I'm going to go out on a limb to say 2021 will be even better and here's why.

I admittedly am not a numbers guy but looking at how both stack up I have to give the slight edge to 2021 on paper.

# 1 Adams vs Jennings. Greg was good but Adams is clearly better. Just as good a route runner, just more physically gifted than Greg and currently the best in the NFL.

# 2 Nelson vs MVS. Nelson is clearly better here no contest but here's where 2021 pulls away.

#3  Driver Vs Funchess. Driver in 2011 was past his prime so Funchess is the obvious winner here.

# 4 Jones vs Lazard. Pretty even in production but I believe Lazard has more upside than JJ and a bigger target. Both are slow crafty receivers with good hands so I'll give this a tie.

# 5 Cobb vs Rodgers. Without seeing Rodgers play one snap in a pro's  I'm going out on a limb again to say he's better than Cobb in 2011. He's bigger, stronger, faster and from what I've seen on tape his hands are just as good. He's a better returner and more explosive after the catch. Rodgers is the winner here.

TE Finley vs Tonyan. We all know it takes TE's a little longer to develop. When it finally clicked for Finley he became a beast. I'm predicting the same for Tonyan, he broke out last year and he will go off and have a monster year and play his way out of GB.  I'll give the slight edge to Tonyan because he's a little more explosive than J mike.

So what do you guys think? Can this corps be better than the sports  Illustrated core of 2011?  I say yes what about you?

Edited by St Vince

41 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I never make threads but I think this could be a good discussion. We all remember the vaunted 2011 receiving corps that made sports Illustrated and at the time was the best in Packers history. But I'm going to go out on a limb to say 2021 will be even better and here's why.

I admittedly am not a numbers guy but looking at how both stack up I have to give the slight edge to 2021 on paper.

# 1 Adams vs Jennings. Greg was good but Adams is clearly better. Just as good a route runner, just more physically gifted than Greg and currently the best in the NFL.

Agree Adams is better than Jennings, but the gap is close

# 2 Nelson vs MVS. Nelson is clearly better here no contest but here's where 2021 pulls away.

Nelson has a huge gap over MVS.

#3  Driver Vs Funchess. Driver in 2011 was past his prime so Funchess is the obvious winner here.

# 4 Jones vs Lazard. Pretty even in production but I believe Lazard has more upside than JJ and a bigger target. Both are slow crafty receivers with good hands so I'll give this a tie.

Of these 4, I take Jones over the rest.  I don't think we know what Funchess is at this point in time.  Last game is season opener in 2019.

Lazard and Driver are petty even.

# 5 Cobb vs Rodgers. Without seeing Rodgers play one snap in a pro's  I'm going out on a limb again to say he's better than Cobb in 2011. He's bigger, stronger, faster and from what I've seen on tape his hands are just as good. He's a better returner and more explosive after the catch. Rodgers is the winner here..

Cobb was pretty special out of the gate.  Rodgers is an unknown.

TE Finley vs Tonyan. We all know it takes TE's a little longer to develop. When it finally clicked for Finley he became a beast. I'm predicting the same for Tonyan, he broke out last year and he will go off and have a monster year and play his way out of GB.  I'll give the slight edge to Tonyan because he's a little more explosive than J mike.

Probably even.  Finley had some crazy raw tools....and crazy other things.  

So what do you guys think? Can this corps be better than the sports  Illustrated core of 2011?  I say yes what about you?

Adams > Jennings

MVS <<<<<<Nelson

Lazard <<<Jones

Funchess <> Driver

Rodgers << Cobb

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

# 5 Cobb vs Rodgers. Without seeing Rodgers play one snap in a pro's  I'm going out on a limb again to say he's better than Cobb in 2011. He's bigger, stronger, faster and from what I've seen on tape his hands are just as good. He's a better returner and more explosive after the catch. Rodgers is the winner here.

Put down the bottle and move away from the keyboard. The only place this team has an advantage is with the #1 receiver. The others, quite honestly. aren't really close at all, including the rookie Rodgers vs. Cobb. 

That receiving group was probably top 10 all time in NFL history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Striker said:

I think the 2011 group was better overall. 

However, the 2011 team did not have an Aaron Jones/AJ Dillon tandem which is what will really open things up for this offense

I don't know man. Besides Jordy I just don't see a big separation with the rest. A 27 year old Funchess is better than an old past his prime Driver in 2011. JJ and Lazard are about even. People forgot JJ had problems with the drops to the point where Ted had given up on him and was willing to let him walk in FA. Rodgers had to lobby for him because Minn was looking to poach him. JJ became a reliable receiver later on.

Edited by St Vince

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are you on crack?

Why because you never agree with anything I post? I can't wait to revisit this thread when this offense goes nuts and breaks all sorts of records. I'll be coming for you first as I told you so.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Why because you never agree with anything I post? I can't wait to revisit this thread when this offense goes nuts and breaks all sorts of records. I'll be coming for you first as I told you so.

We led the league in scoring at 32 points per game last year. Receivers don't move the needle like that. QBs, OL, and scheme do. 

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We led the league in scoring at 32 points per game last year. Receivers don't move the needle like that. QBs, OL, and scheme do. 

Beat me to it. And that's another thing that people don't take in account. Once the league caught up to McCarthy his receiving corps were never to that 2011 level. Rodgers made them good after that because Mac's scheme sucked. MLF scheme with that  OLwill make this group legendary, even better than 2011.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I don't know man. Besides Jordy I just don't see a big separation with the rest. A 27 year old Funchess is better than an old past his prime Driver in 2011. JJ and Lazard are about even. People forgot JJ had problems with the drops to the point where Ted had given up on him and was willing to let him walk in FA. Rodgers had to lobby for him because Minn was looking to poach him. JJ became a reliable receiver later on.

I like Lazard, but today Lazard vs 2011 James Jones is no comparison. 2011 JJ had 16.7 yards/rec, 11.5 yards/target, 7 TDs, ~650 yards. And that's coming off a 2010 season with comparable stats. Like I said, I do like Lazard, but JJ >> Lizard Man. You could make the argument that 2010-2015 James Jones would still be the #2 WR on our team behind Davante.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Lazard is solid and does what's needed for this offense but James Jones, despite the drops, was a pretty good #2 WR in his prime who could have a borderline 1B type WR (depending on the team). Lazard hasn't shown that yet. The others are pushes but I'd still lean towards a lot of that 2011 squad. They were *really* ******* good.

However, it's also hard to compare because these are such completely different systems. I'd argue that this is a more balanced offense that schemes well around our playmakers at #1 WR, #1 RB and ascending players at TE1, WR2 (who is also a really good home run hitter when he catches the damn thing), and RB2. 

• Like 1