2021 receiving corps will be the best Rodgers has ever had. Even better than 2011!

St Vince

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys know that I am an MVS fan.  And Jordy is a no good flat lander.  But look at 2008-10 Jordy vs 2018-20 MVS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

At this point in their careers neither had an advantage.

At this point, MVS is outproducing Jordy fairly significantly (1700/10 to 1200/6) but yr 4 is where Jordy jumped into "stud" territory. 

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys know that I am an MVS fan.  And Jordy is a no good flat lander.  But look at 2008-10 Jordy vs 2018-20 MVS.

The difference is playing time.  It's MASSIVE.  Jordy Nelson had 6 NFL starts in his first 3 seasons.  MVS has 32 NFL starts and has probably seen more than twice as many snaps as Jordy did in his first 3 seasons.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SSG said:

The difference is playing time.  It's MASSIVE.  Jordy Nelson had 6 NFL starts in his first 3 seasons.  MVS has 32 NFL starts and has probably seen more than twice as many snaps as Jordy did in his first 3 seasons.  

It's different for all of these recievers in terms of snaps and targets over the first few years. Adams had over 90 more targets in his first three years than MVS did.  The main thing is that after their 3rd year does the penny drop, have they got used to training, preparing having the mindset to be a better player. I could be very wrong but at the moment I'm betting that MVS carries on his upward projection and becomes the next in the line of good/great Packers WRs.

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It's different for all of these recievers in terms of snaps and targets over the first few years. Adams had over 90 more targets in his first three years than MVS did.  The main thing is that after their 3rd year does the penny drop, have they got used to training, preparing having the mindset to be a better player. I could be very wrong but at the moment I'm betting that MVS carries on his upward projection and becomes the next in the line of good/great Packers WRs.

I'll be the first to admit that I might have been wrong on MVS but I think he needs a vast amount of improvement to a lot of his game to get to the point where we can depend on him as a #1.  Since his rookie year he's had plethora of chances as this team's #1 without Adams and he was a train wreck in most of them. 

I don't see him ever being the caliber of route runner where he'll demand WR1 targets.  Hopefully I'm wrong though because it would be great to get our #1 WR on the sort of second contract we got Jordy on.  

12 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Other than the ability to catch the ball, consistency, body control, route tree, versatility, etc etc

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I really want to feel like Adams is better than Jennings.  

But I think it is more like they are on the same tier.  We drool over Adams right now because he is a stud, and he gets targets.  I'll look at the top 3 "target" years for the two WR's.

Adams

2018=169 targets in 15 games.  11.26 per game.

2019=127 targets in 12 games. 10.58 per game.

2020=149 targets in 14 games.  10.64 per game.

Jennings

2008=140 targets in 16 games.  8.75 per game.

2009=119 targets in 16 games.    7.4 per game.

2010=125 targets in 16 games.  7.8 per game.

Add in a depleted WR corp the last few years with Adams and yah, he deserves targets.  But if Jennings were in his prime, and the only "real" option out there,  we would have loved him even more.   Had he kept his mouth shut after leaving.  Jennings was a stud, plain and simple.  Just like Adams is.

I agree here. That Jennings was a different monster. 

It felt like our WRs used to make more plays and win their individual match ups more versus now.

It always felt like we had two #1s, two to three #2s, two #3s etc.

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Jermicheal Finley, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb.

It felt like we could lean on ANY of these 6 and they all could explode versus now it feels like we need Rodgers to make incredible throws/  scheme it up.

6 hours ago, Gharmon said:

I agree here. That Jennings was a different monster. 

It felt like our WRs used to make more plays and win their individual match ups more versus now.

It always felt like we had two #1s, two to three #2s, two #3s etc.

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Jermicheal Finley, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb.

It felt like we could lean on ANY of these 6 and they all could explode versus now it feels like we need Rodgers to make incredible throws/  scheme it up.

That group you listed was a very special group.  No doubt.

The group we have now would not "win" in a Mac scheme.

But in the MLF scheme, he can get them open, so it works.  But really, we have one WR that would have fit on that special group, Adams.  

Credit needs to be given to MLF for what he did on offense last year.  As well as what he will continue to do this year.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:22 PM, Brit Pack said:

If we don't extend him soon, and he has the type of year people are predicting, he's going to be out of our price range. 

56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If we don't extend him soon, and he has the type of year people are predicting, he's going to be out of our price range. 

Its very difficult with MVS.

He looks the kind of player who could blow up and become out of our price range but he could easily regress and become too erratic to be usable again. It depends how much he would want to be extended.  Its a gamble either way ...