Jaguars trade LB Joe Schobert to the Steelers

.Buzz

On 8/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, .Buzz said:

Schobert is a very good athlete…?

He just wasn’t a scheme fit. In this new 3-4 they need a bruiser next to Myles Jack which is what Damien Wilson and Shaq Quarterman bring. Neither guy replacing him is a “freak athlete/SPARQ guy”. 

He said Schobert wasn't a good athlete and that's why he was traded. His replacements very well not be freak athletes but nowhere did he say Schobert is a good athlete. Your point about his replacements may very well be true and he may have been traded for other reasons than his Sparq rating. 

1 hour ago, Folesadelphia said:

He said Schobert wasn't a good athlete and that's why he was traded. His replacements very well not be freak athletes but nowhere did he say Schobert is a good athlete. Your point about his replacements may very well be true and he may have been traded for other reasons than his Sparq rating. 

i mean lets be real

everyone in the nfl, even those who are just camp bodies are at worst a "good athelete".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i mean lets be real

everyone in the nfl, even those who are just camp bodies are at worst a "good athelete".

No doubt, but there are levels to it. It's possible that Urban is partial to players who rate in the upper percentile of the SPARQ. You have to a be a tremendous athlete to play in the league but some guys have a different level of speed and explosiveness. Some guys are able to get away with having relatively worse athleticism because they process things faster and/or are more deliberate in their actions on the field. 

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i mean lets be real

Right on.

By NFL standards, Schobert may be an "average" athlete, but he has been successful, even if there are flaws in his game.    Alot of "freak" athletes have sucked in the NFL.     It takes more than just having a good SPARQ score to have success in the NFL.  

Schobert isnt meant to be a long term replacement for us.   He is a solid stop gap for a team that was desperately hurting at ILB after a sudden retirement.

With the talent already the Steelers front 7 and being a replacement for Vince Williams, Schobert should do just fine.    He wont take the Steelers defense to another level....but thats not the expectation. 

On 8/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, Ray Reed said:

I thought Bush + Spillane were an entirely fine starting duo.

Steelers fans, which one has disappointed to lead to this?

I think Spillaine. His abilities in coverage or lack there of are an issue. He is an excellent run stopper and can get into the backfield well but Schoebert is much better in coverage 

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think Spillaine. His abilities in coverage or lack there of are an issue. He is an excellent run stopper and can get into the backfield well but Schoebert is much better in coverage 

Not really.    He is feast or famine in the run game....and just in general.   When he isnt making splash plays, he is a liability on the field.   Sucks in coverage, takes poor angles, struggles to get off blocks and is pretty slow.    He'll make a great play here and there, but he is too much of a risk to be on the field for extended periods.

He looked worse as last season went on and has been garbage this preseason.

Hopefully he can still be a decent backup, but Im worried he may be our new Chris Kriewaldt....a guy who makes the occasional nice play on defense or special teams, but sticks around alot longer than he should.

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Not really.    He is feast or famine in the run game....and just in general.   When he isnt making splash plays, he is a liability on the field.   Sucks in coverage, takes poor angles, struggles to get off blocks and is pretty slow.    He'll make a great play here and there, but he is too much of a risk to be on the field for extended periods.

He looked worse as last season went on and has been garbage this preseason.

Hopefully he can still be a decent backup, but Im worried he may be our new Chris Kriewaldt....a guy who makes the occasional nice play on defense or special teams, but sticks around alot longer than he should.

I mean you're not wrong there at all

On 8/13/2021 at 5:31 AM, .Buzz said:

Also, I also don’t think any LB in today’s day is keeping a job if he isn’t athletic, thumper or not. 

There are a lot of different flavours of "athletic" LBer though.  Schobert is fluid and can move in space, but he's far from explosive or dynamic, nor is he physically imposing as an athlete.  He has athletic qualities, but he also has some pretty harsh athletic limitations.

Seems like he'll probably be a solid fit in Pittsburgh, where a steady in space, coverage capable sort of LBer could be useful.  But his "athleticism" is very relative.  Ask him to play in traffic or mix it up among some big uglies, and you're going to quickly see a lack of the athletic gifts to do so successfully.  But he has athletic talents, to succeed in a certain role.

It's just a kind of weird role.  And one where for the Jaguars, he made absolute no sense.  He's like a real "poor man's Myles Jack".  And there isn't a scheme i'm aware of, that is built to accommodate two LBers in that mold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Even then, Joe isnt all that great in coverage. He was abused by TEs all the time in Cleveland

Well, he doesn't accidently have 7 interceptions. (I think that's how many he has).

He isn't any kind of superstar in coverage but he has the ability to cover. Let's be honest LBs thst can cover TEs consistently are rare. But Schobert may be our most reliable ILB atm.

Speculation is that he will wear the green dot, if that's the case, this could be a negative indictment of Bush' development. 

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Let's be honest LBs thst can cover TEs consistently are rare. But Schobert may be our most reliable ILB atm.

This.

Bottom line....Schoebert has flaws, but we don't necessarily need him to be a star player.    If he can adequately replace Vince Williams, I think most Steeler fans would be okay with that.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Are we on the hook for any of that money?

Yes.  About 1/2 of the $7m is being paid by the Jags.  The Steelers also reworked his contract so he is getting Vet minimum and the rest is signing bonus so he counts $1.88M against the cap this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Well, he doesn't accidently have 7 interceptions. (I think that's how many he has).

He isn't any kind of superstar in coverage but he has the ability to cover. Let's be honest LBs thst can cover TEs consistently are rare. But Schobert may be our most reliable ILB atm.

Speculation is that he will wear the green dot, if that's the case, this could be a negative indictment of Bush' development. 

He has 9. You can go into the browns forum and ask how great his coverage ability and a majority of them will say, he isnt all that great. Browns got absolutely torched by TEs when he was the LB. if they were playing a talented TE, they were going to Have a day. 

he does find himself in the right position. Quite a few of his INTs were because of tips. But When it comes to coverage. He cant run that well with TEs. I could def see him having trouble with the Browns and Ravens TEs this year