Jaguars trade LB Joe Schobert to the Steelers

.Buzz

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Assuming the Jaguars don't eat any of the salary, the Steelers would be on the hook for:

2021: 7.3 million

2022: 9.25 million

2023: 10.75 million

2024: 11.25 million

None of it would be guaranteed though. 

Good for the Jaguars getting out of that, even if it is going to cost them 9.6 million. Ouch

Steelers will have some money, but if he doesnt live up to expectations, he will likely be gone before 2023.

Im luke warm  on this trade.    Solid player, and a big upgrade over Spillane, but hopefully we didnt give up too much.

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He is a play maker, but pretty inconsistent. 

Misses a lot of tackles, not amazing in coverage

Really knows what he is doing?

He was very good in coverage for us. It was his best trait.

Really don't like seeing Schobert playing for the Steelers. Yuck.

I'll say this, Schobert and Bush in a Nickel package are going to be a great due in pass coverage and sideline to sideline. I'm surprised to see Pitt pick up Joe's contract, but he's a very solid LB. He doesn't fit that typical ILB A-B plug guy, but he's great laterally and in coverage.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Also, I also don’t think any LB in today’s day is keeping a job if he isn’t athletic, thumper or not. 

Yeah this is generally true, which is why (side note) I think it will be interesting to see how long CJ Mosley lasts in the NFL since he's an absolute liability in coverage and has below-average speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Also, I also don’t think any LB in today’s day is keeping a job if he isn’t athletic, thumper or not. 

Joe is athletic and extremely smart. Im surprised he didnt do well in JAX--when he was in Cleveland he was easily one of our best 2-3 defenders and a great cover LB.

He was one of like 4 out of 198 mid-round draft picks the Browns actually developed into being a good player in the past 20 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Joe is athletic and extremely smart. Im surprised he didnt do well in JAX--when he was in Cleveland he was easily one of our best 2-3 defenders and a great cover LB.

He was one of like 4 out of 198 mid-round draft picks the Browns actually developed into being a good player in the past 20 years.

He was basically the best of a poor defense 

If he is smart enough to play a zone then I think he will be fine.  The Steelers just have to not call a defense that puts him in man coverage.  I see him getting the Vince Williams role in the defense for at least this year.  He just gets more expensive for every year going forward.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

A very early 6th round pick, I approve.

At best, it will be the early teens.

We went 8-8 in 2019 with the worst QB play in the league, and we had a worse overall team than we do now.

The Steelers may not be the force they once were, but everyone acting like they are going to be one of the worst teams in the league are ******* delusional.