Jaguars trade LB Joe Schobert to the Steelers

.Buzz

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Outside of the first couple games Spillane played last season, I dont think anyone has ever thought he was a viable long term starter.   Spillane is a guy capable of making a few nice plays, but isnt more than a backup.

Bush has good sideline to sideline ability, but he struggles to stack and shed.    He needs to get stronger and more aggressive.    He is better suited to be a complimentary LB to a strong tackler.    

Bottom line....most Steeler fans expected a move like this after VW retired 

Got it.

I think most of the games I watched that Spillane started were those early ones last year, that’s probably why I came away pretty impressed. Makes sense

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Got it.

I think most of the games I watched that Spillane started were those early ones last year, that’s probably why I came away pretty impressed. Makes sense

Yeah, he started off well with some big hits and an INT he returned for a TD, but the shine faded soon after and by the end of the season, he looked like what he was...a backup.

Thus far this preseason....he doesn't even look like a good backup.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Schobert is a very good athlete…?

He just wasn’t a scheme fit. In this new 3-4 they need a bruiser next to Myles Jack which is what Damien Wilson and Shaq Quarterman bring. Neither guy replacing him is a “freak athlete/SPARQ guy”. 

I think you’re focusing too much on the SPARQ/RAS portion of the post and overlooking the “former Ohio St coach hates former Badger player” part of the post

3 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I think you’re focusing too much on the SPARQ/RAS portion of the post and overlooking the “former Ohio St coach hates former Badger player” part of the post

That’s worse if so…

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

isn't Pittsburgh a 3-4 too?

I mean not all 3-4’s are the same in what they ask, but his strengths also kind of mirror Myles who will also be playing inside. Just not a good fit in our situation.

21 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Wilson was under rated in KC. He won't make any pro bowls or ever qualify for the hall of very good. But he's solid and is good about playing in the system.

Pretty much all I’ve heard in camp. Good fit next to Myles and he’s making a fraction of what Scho was getting paid.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

isn't Pittsburgh a 3-4 too?

Yup.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean not all 3-4’s are the same in what they ask, but his strengths also kind of mirror Myles who will also be playing inside. Just not a good fit in our situation.

Um, you generally do want 2 athletic ILB's in a 3-4 system lol. I get that one of them is generally the play-side backer who takes on blockers maybe, but idk seems like you're kinda going to some extreme lengths to play up the whole "not a scheme fit thing" when it's just not there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yup.

Um, you generally do want 2 athletic ILB's in a 3-4 system lol. I get that one of them is generally the play-side backer who takes on blockers maybe, but idk seems like you're kinda going to some extreme lengths to play up the whole "not a scheme fit thing" when it's just not there.

Yea...   I mean Bucs have two athletic linebackers and neither are that bigger bruiser type guy.  I think that's just the more old school 3-4 were you needed a big dude to take on blocks.

• Like 1

Assuming the Jaguars don't eat any of the salary, the Steelers would be on the hook for:

2021: 7.3 million

2022: 9.25 million

2023: 10.75 million

2024: 11.25 million

None of it would be guaranteed though. 

Good for the Jaguars getting out of that, even if it is going to cost them 9.6 million. Ouch

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yup.

Well I guess what Cullen is saying they want out of the spot inside next to Myles during camp has been bologna then, idk. It’s not like Wilson and Quarterman are plodders out there, but they definitely aren’t known for their sideline to sideline speed and that’s pretty clearly what they decided they want at that position (a downhill physical LB, and that doesn’t mean unathletic).

Regardless, next to Myles, he wasn’t a good fit which is the main issue. Getting constantly swallowed up in the run game was a big issue last year and his strengths mirror Myles (to a far lesser extent). That’s the issue.