Jenkins to have Back surgery

dll2000

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

does it really matter if Borom grabs the LT and holds it down for good? then jenkins plays RT and we still drafted our bookend tackles this year.

Just going off their draft profiles, in the hypothetical universe where both "hit", Borom  being a better pass protector, would probably have been better suited to LT anyhow, while Jenkins as more of a "mauler" would probably have been better suited for RT.

• Like 2

I'm still holding out hope Larry Borom becomes our LT of the future, allowing for Teven Jenkins to settle in at his more natural RT position.

Pretty cool to have Jason Peters in here as well, hopefully Borom can pick his brain. They're pretty damned similar physically:

Peters // Borom
6044 // 6047
336 lbs // 322 lbs
33.125" arms // 33.125" arms
1.73 // 1.81
2.91 // 2.90
21 reps 225 // 21 reps 225
29" vert // 31" vert
7.70 cone // 8.04 cone

Peters is an athletic freak and I'm not saying Borom is on his level, but looking strictly at their body size they are incredibly similar.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm still holding out hope Larry Borom becomes our LT of the future, allowing for Teven Jenkins to settle in at his more natural RT position.

Pretty cool to have Jason Peters in here as well, hopefully Borom can pick his brain. They're pretty damned similar physically:

Peters // Borom
6044 // 6047
336 lbs // 322 lbs
1.73 // 1.81
2.91 // 2.90
29" vert // 31" vert
7.70 cone // 8.04 cone

Peters is an athletic freak and I'm not saying Borom is on his level, but looking strictly at their body size they are incredibly similar.

You want to know two people he has pretty damn similar comps to?

Sewell (almost freakishly similar) and Nelson (like I said predraft, he is like Nelson's slightly less talented little bro)

OL-Comps.png

Consider is is very likely (IMO at least) that Sewell simply has benefited from Oregon having at least a slightly better strength and conditioning program than Mizzou

If anyone doubts who is superior, here is Aaron Feld, the S&C coach for Oregon.

Feld.jpg?width=300

Yep, he's more man than any of us.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

does it really matter if Borom grabs the LT and holds it down for good? then jenkins plays RT and we still drafted our bookend tackles this year.

Not one single bit.  In fact if Borom can eventually take over at LT later this season and really "own it" I'd call that a perfect outcome.  Then when Jenkins returns he'll have a shot at playing behind Ifedi provided he can return at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Just going off their draft profiles, in the hypothetical universe where both "hit", Borom  being a better pass protector, would probably have been better suited to LT anyhow, while Jenkins as more of a "mauler" would probably have been better suited for RT.

Looking for a little slice of sunshine showing through a dark cloud you may well end up being right.  It's possible.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Peters // Borom
6044 // 6047
336 lbs // 322 lbs
1.73 // 1.81
2.91 // 2.90
29" vert // 31" vert
7.70 cone // 8.04 cone

Maybe we finally get lucky for a change and Borom turns out to be a real find like David Bakhtiari (4th round pick) has been for Green Bay.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Did I miss something? It was no sure thing that Jenkins would be good to go even before he was hurt, and now we're assuming Boron will be a good Lt?

I sure hope so, but....

Hoping, but I doubt any would put money on it. I sure as hell wouldn't. He does have a good enough athletic profile to do so, but I'm still not sold on Castillo either to be honest.

• Like 2

Originally posted on FanNation Bear Digest
By Gene Chamberlain  |  Last updated 8/19/21

Complaining about how Bears GM Ryan Pace drafted an injured offensive tackle is a bit misguided.

Pace really deserves praise from Bears fans.

Sure, the Bears have a real problem with rookie left tackle Teven Jenkins rehabbing now following back surgery on Wednesday, and they knew he had the risk of injury when they drafted him. 

At least that's what they say.

"We were aware of the back issues in college, but these are symptoms that are new," coach Matt Nagy said. "So this is something we're dealing with. He's at a point right now where we were trying different things to see if we could stay away from this. 

"It's something that ended up getting to this point right now."

Injuries happen, but back injuries are a little different. It's possible this is an injury resulting from the other injury he had in college. This is how back conditions can be and this is from extensive personal knowledge. We don't know in this case because the Bears won't go into detail on what was done to his back.

I'm gonna slide in here at this point with "my own extensive personal experience".  We only have one back.  So unlike a knee or hip or shoulder any injury to it is singular.  Our back is comprised of musculature to give us strength and vertebrae which protect out spinal cord.  So in the real world outside Matt Nagy's head one either sustains injuries to the musculature (ligaments and tendons inclusive) or to the vertebrae themselves or more typically the discs which cushion them.  So, with Jenkins history of multiple back issues in college it's tough to buy into this being anything very "new" especially if it's an issue with a disc which should have been picked up on during a physical in an Xray.

The real Bears problem

Hall of fame writer Dan Pompei of The Athletic reported Jenkins had "numerous" back injuries in college. So this was more of a gamble by the Bears than an uninformed selection. They lose Round 1 of the gamble with Jenkins unavailable. 

The reason Teven Jenkins was available on the 39th pick of the draft is he had numerous back injuries in college. Before the draft, scouts told me drafting him entailed the risk of him experiencing more back problems.

Copy link to Tweet

Here again there's no conflict in what Pompei writes vs what Biggs and Gabriel wrote.  Jenkins back injuries (plural) were well known.  In fact he skipped his last 3 college games due to them.  Teams may not have removed him from their boards but they surely flagged him as a potential problem due to those multiple injuries and the risk they entailed.  Without a doubt it's what cause him to fall out of the 1st round and had Pace not trade up for him we really don't know how much farther he may have fallen and we never will.  As usual Pace gambled and so far he lost.

Whether or not this really is an entirely different injury, it's still easy to forgive and forget. If Jenkins comes back from his surgery, rehabs and contributes next year or even later this year it's relatively easy to dismiss the error.

The problem isn't Jenkins' being out. It's how Pace approached this season without any real left tackle on the roster. 

It was another case where he provided insufficient backup help. 

Actually, he provided insufficient starting help.

Pace's starter was a college right tackle who played the left side in seven games. The backup was Elijah Wilkinson, who had never played the left side in the NFL and admitted last week it was a difficult chore switching sides.

They shifted rookie Larry Borom to the left side and he has very little left tackle experience. He practiced there on Thursday. They even put 39-year-old Jason Peters on the field at left tackle during Thursday's practice for a handful of snaps on his very first practice at Halas Hall. He might be their best starter.

Par for the Ryan Pace course

Pace has had a history of short-changing his head coach in terms of quality depth. 

The 2019 tight end fiasco occurred at the beginning of training camp with Trey Burton's groin/hip problems continued on to Adam Shaheen's minor injuries. They had 46 receptions from all the tight ends combined and it was left over from Burton's original injury that occurred on the eve of the playoffs the previous year. 

Pace didn't provide proper inside linebacker backups last year after they lost Kevin Pierre-Louis and Nick Kwiatkoski in free agency. Sure enough, in the playoffs Roquan Smith was unavailable due to injury and the Bears wound up starting Manti Te'o against the Saints after he had never been on the field for them in the regular season. 

Of course it didn't work out well.

Pace did this at running back last year as they were forced to use kick returner/receiver Cordarrelle Patterson in the backfield after David Montgomery's concussion and Tarik Cohen's torn ACL. It didn't work, as Patterson averaged a paltry 3.6 yards an attempt. Patterson runs back kicks spectacularly, but doesn't run handoffs well.

The depth at cornerback—left and slot—looks shaky for the Bears now, as well. 

It's in incomplete effort by Pace considering he had all offseason to get someone with more experience at tackle. Now they'd depending on a 39-year-old tackle who doesn't know the offense, or a rookie, or a player who never played on that side of the ball at what many consider the most important position on the line.

If we're gonna damn Ryan Pace this paragraph hits the nail squarely on the head.  Each year in the "Nagy Era" the Bears have lacked quality starting talent and/or depth at one or more positions and each year it has proven costly in terms of our W/L record and also in the two playoff games we've also lost.  We might chalk some of it up to bad luck but only if we're willing to overlook the bad choices that got us into those spots to begin with beginning in 2018 having overspent on a 3rd string TE and an inconsistent PK who had only one good year following his rookie year and of course a blown 2nd round pick on Adam Shaheen.  I'll let the rest of what Chamberlain wrote speak for itself.

Edited by soulman

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hoping, but I doubt any would put money on it. I sure as hell wouldn't. He does have a good enough athletic profile to do so, but I'm still not sold on Castillo either to be honest.

Good or not so good beyond Peters it looks like Borom is the only other "boat outta Shanghai" at the moment.

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Lots of moving pieces to it, but I was really impressed with the cohesive line the Bears made for a while last season and feel that credit is due to Castillo.  They were certainly helped by Trubisky's most positive trait (being able to run around behind a collapsing line while he counts the linebackers a fourth time) but given the hash he was given I thought they were a pleasant surprise.  Guess he has to do it again now, so if it works a second time it'll be a strong endorsement.

I'm really torn right now, as I feel like putting Fields behind this line is not going to make him better at going through his progressions (not that I think he's especially bad at it, but the smart people all say he could be better)  , but I also feel like his mobility is far better than Dalton's so he may be more successful.  Season outlook for me is mostly tied to not ruining Fields. Getting killed back there is one way to do that., otherwise I'm not sure what holds him back from starting besides a bunch of bad practoices in the preseason.

• Like 2

Borom’s mobility will be judged relative to his position ask by NFL teams. While some teams might be tempted to try him at tackle first, he doesn’t appear to have functional lateral movement for pass sets or as a run blocker.

Larry Borom projects as a fringe NFL offensive lineman. Borom, who leaves Missouri as a multi-year starter who has logged reps at both tackle and on the interior, does not inspire a great deal of enthusiasm with his functional athleticism and range as a blocker.

It would be a win if this guy could become an NFL-caliber OL, let alone a LT. Based on his college resume, he doesn't have the movement to play there.

Edited by abstract_thought

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Did I miss something? It was no sure thing that Jenkins would be good to go even before he was hurt, and now we're assuming Boron will be a good Lt?

I sure hope so, but....

Basketball background, light on his feet, physical traits present, and by all accounts a willing worker.

Hope here is that Juan Castillo can coach him up.

• Like 1

For the nerds:

A total of 137 National Football League players were identified as having an LDH necessitating treatment. Ninety-six players underwent surgical treatment with a lumbar discectomy, and 34 athletes were treated nonoperatively. Seventy-eight percent of athletes treated surgically for an LDH returned to play in at least 1 NFL game. Players treated surgically played in statistically more games post-treatment (36) than those treated nonoperatively (20) (P < 0.002). There was no significant difference between the Performance Score preoperatively and postoperatively over the length of the players' careers. Age at diagnosis, body mass index, Pro Bowl appearances, and position played did not significantly affect outcome.

Conclusion: The data in this study suggests that even though a lumbar discectomy has career-threatening implications, a large percentage of NFL athletes return to play at competitive levels. Despite the general opinion of many NFL general managers, players who are able to complete the rigorous rehabilitation required to return to play after lumbar discectomy can expect excellent performance-based outcomes after surgery.

• Like 1